Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Nav sent me to a closed supercharging station.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just purchased my first Tesla, and am using superchargers as I wait for a home power install.

Today I navigated to a supercharger using the charging icon, but the supercharger it took me too was completely fenced off. It appeared as if it was under construction.

Luckily I had plenty of charge to get to another supercharging station, but was disturbed that there was no indication until I arrived that the station was closed. Had I been relying on that particular station I could’ve been in a really bad spot.

Shouldn't Tesla only be navigating you to operational charging stations? And is there a way to report the closure so that other people aren’t routed to it?

Solution
Just purchased my first Tesla, and am using superchargers as I wait for a home power install.

Today I navigated to a supercharger using the charging icon, but the supercharger it took me too was completely fenced off. It appeared as if it was under construction.

Luckily I had plenty of charge to get to another supercharging station, but was disturbed that there was no indication until I arrived that the station was closed. Had I been relying on that particular station I could’ve been in a really bad spot.

Shouldn't Tesla only be navigating you to operational charging stations? And is there a way to report the closure so that other people aren’t routed to it?
Tesla is currently building another location in Burlington that...

I guess you have to manually click on the map and read the Supercharger status. It would give a detailed report of availability, which specific pile is broken...

It sounds like the navigation system doesn't know how to do that automatically just yet.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0

Which supercharger location?

Upvote 0
Yes, we need more information on this one...not only does it not navigate you to sites under construction, but it will even avoid routing you to busy stations. Although, that is when it is actually routing you to a destination and it suggests charging stops. I suppose if you specifically clicked on a location because you wanted to go there it's not going to tell you that you can't go there (i.e. maybe you are navigating to that location because you just wanted to go to a nearby store).

That said, you should get familiar with how the nav system displays open Superchargers, including the number of stalls available. This information is very visible in the map and it would be pretty obvious that a station you clicked on was not open.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Yes, we need more information on this one...not only does it not navigate you to sites under construction, but it will even avoid routing you to busy stations. Although, that is when it is actually routing you to a destination and it suggests charging stops. I suppose if you specifically clicked on a location because you wanted to go there it's not going to tell you that you can't go there (i.e. maybe you are navigating to that location because you just wanted to go to a nearby store).

That said, you should get familiar with how the nav system displays open Superchargers, including the number of stalls available. This information is very visible in the map and it would be pretty obvious that a station you clicked on was not open.
It’s very possible I missed some notification that it wasn’t open. But the charging pin showed a 7 (which I took to mean 7 available chargers), and I don’t remember seeing any pop ups that the station was closed.

Upvote 0

Tesla is currently building another location in Burlington that is across the parking lot from an existing location. You mistook the under construction site for the real one. If you had continued 100ft further towards the hotel you would have gotten to the operational supercharger you were navigating to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution