Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors Roadster Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice one Bob, thanks for sharing.

It's good that Tesla's route (accidentally or otherwise) seems to be passing by the fans and future owners.

Indeed, I have to wonder if that was intentional...Can't imagine the odds of stopping for the 3 day New Years holiday in my town Nixa, MO of all places! I'm quite sure I'm the only person in a 100mi radius with a Model S reserved and I highly doubt there's a Roadster in the area.

It's here in Nixa!

Had a nice time meeting Paul, an IT guy w/ Tesla, who made the run from Tulsa to Springfield/Nixa, MO. There was a nice group of around 20-25 people who were in and out of the Crankshaft Motorsports Club Garage to see the car and maybe 10-15 of us got to enjoy a quick "test" ride around the block to experience that amazing torque and the sensation of a performance EV ride. My photos should be showing up in the Tesla Blog, but I thought I'd share them here first.

Here's my Flickr Set on the visit: Tesla Motors - a set on Flickr
4231529555_4470af7369_b.jpg

4232298636_2530ddb722_b.jpg

The Roadster Trip concept was a great idea by Tesla Motors. Not only does it dispaly the capabilities of the Roadster it also generates headlines for Tesla Motors. It also allows for Tesla to divert attention away from the Model S until things get rolling on the S.

The Roadster Trip concept was a great idea by Tesla Motors. Not only does it dispaly the capabilities of the Roadster it also generates headlines for Tesla Motors. It also allows for Tesla to divert attention away from the Model S until things get rolling on the S.

Well, I think we'll see a real test of the capabilities...or lack thereof...today! We woke up to about 4" of snow and 9F temps. I had to drive home this morning from a night shift and the roads are still slick and snow-packed for the most part. The main roads have some clearing in the tire track areas, but I hit a top speed of 35mph in the Prius on 60MPH roads.

They may be able to get a late start and the roads will be clearer, but I'm not holding my breath...they might have to pull a tesla out of the ditch!

Well, I think we'll see a real test of the capabilities...or lack thereof...today! We woke up to about 4" of snow and 9F temps. I had to drive home this morning from a night shift and the roads are still slick and snow-packed for the most part. The main roads have some clearing in the tire track areas, but I hit a top speed of 35mph in the Prius on 60MPH roads.

They may be able to get a late start and the roads will be clearer, but I'm not holding my breath...they might have to pull a tesla out of the ditch!

If they have the snows on, and the roads aren't iced over, they'll be able to drive in 4 inches. Especially if the car is housed in a warm garage overnight. (There is a known, outstanding issue with truly cold starts.)

If they have the snows on, and the roads aren't iced over, they'll be able to drive in 4 inches. Especially if the car is housed in a warm garage overnight. (There is a known, outstanding issue with truly cold starts.)
Apparently they were already on the road at the time I typed my skeptical post. They had the snow tires put on back in Texas, and it was in a nice warm garage with a nice full charge. Apparently they "zipped" out at 6:45am! Color me impressed...both with the car and the drivers!

Got the T-shirt and the bumper sticker...and the sore butt to show for the 3300 miles! :)

BTW - Fans of the Renew America Roadtrip:

This Friday evening, January 22, at 6201 S Street in Sacramento (the SMUD facility), there is a charity event being held that benefits Breathe California of the Sacramento - Emigrant Trails and features the RAR'dster and the Renew America Roadtrip team.

The event, the Breathe Charity Soiree and Tesla Roadster Auction is from 5:45 PM to 7:30 PM. For a small donation to Breathe California, you get to tour a 20 car alternative-fuel vehicle exhibit that includes the EV1 and the Tesla Roadster that made the historic green charity cross-country drive this past summer from NYC to Seal Beach California as part of the Renew America Roadtrip project. You also get to hear environmental speakers Jacob Griscom, founder of the Sacramento Sustainabilty Forum, and Professor Tom Turrentine, director PHEV Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis. Registration includes dinner and entry to raffles to win RAR merchandise and free nights at the Grand Hyatt San Francisco or Westin Element Las Vegas. Also in attendance are Maddy & Michael, the drivers and co-founders of the Renew America Roadtrip. At the end of the evening, you can participate/attend the final half hour of the on-going eBay auction for the Rardster. There is also still the very slightest chance that you may catch a glimpse of Chelsea Sexton, the EV activist featured in the movie, "Who Killed the Electric Car." She will be at the Youth Energy Summit during the day but it is unknown whether she will choose to linger for the evening event.

There is still time to register before midnight PST tonight but there is limited space so go quickly to:
BREATHE CA Charity Soirée and Tesla Roadster Auction - Eventbrite
to find out more.

To see the RAR'dster before Friday, you can visit it today and tomorrow at the California Automobile Museum, or put in a bid to make it your own at:
Other Makes : eBay Motors (item 230423612302 end time Jan-22-10 19:19:06 PST)