Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y 7 Seater - no trunk anchors for safe cargo transport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have to regularly transport baby gear, including a heavy stroller. I have not found anywhere to strap down stuff in the back. At best, this stuff moves around a lot while driving. At worst, it becomes a projectile in a collision. How do other people do this?
Is it safe to drill holes into the fabric sides of the trunk to screw in anchors? Are the sides plastic and would they screws even stay in place? Is there anything I should be concerned about drilling into?

I would think for anything to be secured in a collision you'd need frame mounted metal anchors and proper, tight straps.

I have had a set of these and used them for years now when I have something I don't want sliding around.

They've worked great for me and easily hide in the sub trunk when not in use. I have a heavy-ish rolling tool / parts bag that I usually lay on it's side and these keep it still when driving around. Keeps smooth sided server chassis still also. I suspect they'd do next to nothing in a collision though.

There really isn't much space between the 2nd row and the roof line. If you recline the 2nd row the headrests will just clear the roof crossmember, if the headrest are even slightly extended they will touch the fabric.

For the 3rd row, large items will also have a very hard time finding their way between the seat and the rear glass.

I do have my son's stroller in the back, I went and got non-skid mats at Home Depot, and cut them so the fill the rear cargo area (with the 3rd row folded down). This really helps with 5-gallon water bottles, strollers and all cargo. My Amazon purchased 7-seater cargo mats are not non-skid enough. Every time I accelerate or stop hard, the cargo would slide around on the cargo mats, but since I put the non-skid mats on top I haven't had any issues.

I got 2 of these mats for my 3 and 2 for my Y. I cut both mats so the cut sides mate up. This keeps all cargo in place, and are easily removable.

black-rubber-buffalo-tools-commercial-floor-mats-rmat35-44_145.jpg

I have a 3 and 1 year old, traveling with a stroller and whatever baby gear needed is a constant for me yet I've never worried about this.

Not saying you're wrong for giving it a thought, I just wouldn't worry too much about it.

Drive safe or let Elon do it for ya, I can't express how grateful I am to have FSD when I need to one handed drive while holding a bottle for the 1 year old.

Last edited: