Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla model 3 NZ owners Facebook group

Adam Chen: 15/08/19
I rang Tesla today to get the driver’s licence details corrected. Carly on the other end of the phone told me that as far as Tesla Auckland is concerned, they haven’t got any of the model 3’s yet (for customers)..... I wasn’t sure how to interpreted that information.... Can anyone shed light into the matter?

Nilesh Govond: 15/08/19
Just rang tesla to correct details. Said they'll be reaching out to customers soon depending on which container their car is in.

Comon Telsa stop torturing us poor old Kiwis we're endangered don't you know.
Did Cap Capricorn only drop a few M3's for NZ, none at all, all bound for Au
Were they blown into the harbour

A little boy waits ....for a VIN

That’s a vague answer by the staff. Technically true, if all the cars are being processed by Autonexus, and not handed over to Tesla.

Last edited:
To be honest the comms from Tesla are woeful. They could surely have given more definitive timelines, I leave the country Sep 15 for 6 weeks and you would think I could get an indication as to whether I can expect a car prior to that or when I get back. Using information from the source code is asking for disappointment, there is a reason it is not being displayed. I get the feeling they just produced a big batch of cars stuck them on a boat and will match them to owners when they get here i.e reservation time, config finance won’t mean anything, they will just deliver then to the easiest people first to get them off the books.

To be honest the comms from Tesla are woeful. They could surely have given more definitive timelines, I leave the country Sep 15 for 6 weeks and you would think I could get an indication as to whether I can expect a car prior to that or when I get back. Using information from the source code is asking for disappointment, there is a reason it is not being displayed. I get the feeling they just produced a big batch of cars stuck them on a boat and will match them to owners when they get here i.e reservation time, config finance won’t mean anything, they will just deliver then to the easiest people first to get them off the books.
Maybe. Though there's an argument that they should do the hard ones first to get them done by the end of the quarter. Cash/no trade ins will be easier to clear in a rush at the end.

Cap Capricorn is now within AIS Range for Port Botany berthing at 6 Brotherson Dock. Pilot will meet the ship at 11.30am.

Attachments

• 148CBACA-C252-4780-B34B-A2F188E09373.jpeg
    148CBACA-C252-4780-B34B-A2F188E09373.jpeg
    655.2 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: TASKA9
Regarding delivery comms and the uncertainty, to me it seems entirely expected given the chaotic nature of the system. There are too many uncontrolled variables, it is not a build-to-order pipeline. I get the impression their new web checkout process is an attempt to streamline the process, at least for the easy cases. I think we are beta-testing the whole process so we're going to discover new reserves of patience as they debug it :)

Agree, I'm in a similar situation, out of the country in September. The cars won't be delivered in August which means my car will turn up while I'm away. So it goes to next in the queue I guess. Unlikely Tesla is going to hold onto my car until I get back.

So instead of reserving it in March 2016 I could have just ordered it in October 2019 and got the same delivery date it seems :p

Reactions: jaykaye
Source is extremely, extremely, extremely (Don't make me say it again) close to the delivery process.

Total orders in Aus (reservations placed initial $1,500): ~7,000
Total who have placed configurations (paid $3,000): ~2,500
Total QLD orders: ~750

I'm sure you're understanding I can't provide more info on the source due to their proximity I'm sorry.

Source is extremely, extremely, extremely (Don't make me say it again) close to the delivery process.

Total orders in Aus (reservations placed initial $1,500): ~7,000
Total who have placed configurations (paid $3,000): ~2,500
Total QLD orders: ~750

I'm sure you're understanding I can't provide more info on the source due to their proximity I'm sorry.

Wow. If that turns out to be validated with registration info I would be impressed. I mean considering about 1 million new cars are sold a year (which is impressive considering Australia's small population), it's not such a huge figure. But it's still decent for a largely word of mouth car / niche vehicle (in this market at least).

That being said the majority of those will be SR+, and from some of the previous emails posted from Tesla express their desire to finish all deliveries by end of September. We will see how that pans out. I suspect their goal will be to book as much revenue / units before the end of the quarter, which will probably mean more Performance models delivered / registered first.

Wow. If that turns out to be validated with registration info I would be impressed. I mean considering about 1 million new cars are sold a year (which is impressive considering Australia's small population), it's not such a huge figure. But it's still decent for a largely word of mouth car / niche vehicle (in this market at least).

That being said the majority of those will be SR+, and from some of the previous emails posted from Tesla express their desire to finish all deliveries by end of September. We will see how that pans out. I suspect their goal will be to book as much revenue / units before the end of the quarter, which will probably mean more Performance models delivered / registered first.
I will say this, I have absolutely no reason NOT to believe this person.
They would be in the know. Unfortunately I can't maintain contact with the person though. It was purely by chance and opportunistic that I was able to get the info.

Reactions: jaykaye
If those are the numbers, I'm a little surprised that there isn't a 3k-car roro. But I guess maybe the local operations would struggle to cope with that influx.
To be honest, I would have expected that too now that you say it, if we are sharing ships with NZ.
Unless the configs were coming in dribs and drabs or spiked after the first shipment was sent on its way and therefore Tesla missed the opportunity to organise that.

In saying that though, I would expect they would be setting up a small buffer of vehicles within the most ordered configs.

Just got an email from Macquarie.

CONGRATULATION TESLA OWNERS.

THE WAIT IS NEARLY OVER !

I am making contact because you are already approved or conditionally approved for the financing of your new Tesla with Macquarie.

Before we get you in the driver’s seat of your new car there are a few

steps we need to take together.

• If you have not already done so, please complete the sales process on your Tesla account and choose Macquarie as your lender.

• I will update Tesla with your approval (This may have already happened)

• My team will contact you to confirm any finance deposit, trade values and payouts that may be due. We will also collect any outstanding items relating to finance approval.

• We will then request a tax invoice from Tesla.

• When we have the tax invoice, we will arrange contracts to be sent to you for signing and retuning.

• When you return the contract, we will arrange payment usually same day or overnight. Our aim will be to pay Tesla a few days prior to vehicle delivery to avoid delays.

Note – if you have a payout due on a trade in you will need to obtain a payout letter for Tesla and this document should have at least five days until its expiry from when you collect your new car

Like a real spy story! Moscow rules required for next drop:)
Who said this wasn't a fake account?

Who said this post wasn't to make you think I am joking?

Who said I wasn't purposefully being overt?

Who said I wasn't creating a smoke screen?

Who said I wasn't trying to make you second guess yourself?

Feel that edgy feeling? Who said I wasn't creating that on purpose?

Who said Murphy was always right? Who said I wasn't Murphy?

Are you assuming something?

Are you assuming that I am legitimate and have the best of intentions?

Now who are you second guessing? Me, or yourself?

Cap Capricorn - yes. On balance of the evidence and sources. The logistics side takes a while to sort out from the port (thanks Fantomass), and cars slip by us. plus this direct quote to the NZ customer +plus everything we know. Downside is this logistics process will take a couple of weeks.

I think Sydney has some sleepers ‘press’ cars just spotted now as well as the Auckland ones I just mentioned. All from the press batch.
Seoul did not have any. It doesn’t match with any known vin ranges. The dates don’t work.

Is Cap Capricorn worth watching arrive? If you think it makes you feel better, and see the pivotal moment Australia transformed into an EV economy - well at least a sense of ‘I was there’. Sure go for it. It just a ship though. You won’t see any 3’s. I’d go if I could just for the stalker bragging rights. We’ve been tracking this ship for so damn long, a picture would be good. Note. The arrival time is at the Botany anchorage when the pilot and tugs meet it, not the berthing time.
Watching the boats and containers may alleviate the anxiety but that does not change the fact that you will not know if the cars are/were on the that boat or previous boats. For all we know they may already have a warehouse full of those containers with the cars offloaded from previous boats somewhere in customs being fumigated or waiting for customs clearance. Though it does make the time go faster reading about people doing boat spotting...

Reactions: Random206
Watching the boats and containers may alleviate the anxiety but that does not change the fact that you will not know if the cars are/were on the that boat or previous boats. For all we know they may already have a warehouse full of those containers with the cars offloaded from previous boats somewhere in customs being fumigated or waiting for customs clearance. Though it does make the time go faster reading about people doing boat spotting...
It's not possible with some of the VINs we have been seeing in peoples HTML code.

Although I do like the idea that Tesla is that organised that they are already here. It's a nice idea to think about.

• Funny
Reactions: tobygriffin

Actually, previous boats are not possible due to the vin ranges we now know.

[conspiracy denied]

Who said this wasn't a fake account?

Who said this post wasn't to make you think I am joking?

Who said I wasn't purposefully being overt?

Who said I wasn't creating a smoke screen?

Who said I wasn't trying to make you second guess yourself?

Feel that edgy feeling? Who said I wasn't creating that on purpose?

Who said Murphy was always right? Who said I wasn't Murphy?

Are you assuming something?

Are you assuming that I am legitimate and have the best of intentions?

Now who are you second guessing? Me, or yourself?

Man I just came here looking for a car...?