Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What happens for example if you originally ordered the SR+ in white? Do you now get a $2100 saving by cancelling and re-ordering? Shouldn't Tesla just give everyone with that configuration the $2100 saving to save people having to do the cancel and re-order?
FYI, I have ordered it in red so it makes no difference to my final price.

What happens for example if you originally ordered the SR+ in white? Do you now get a $2100 saving by cancelling and re-ordering? Shouldn't Tesla just give everyone with that configuration the $2100 saving to save people having to do the cancel and re-order?

Call them, but on the Model 3 Australia Facebook group someone claims to have asked Tesla and they say that you'll get the lower price.

Reactions: Jason Cartwright
Delivery date listed now as September is huge!

Until this change it presumably meant that Tesla thought they could still build a car in time to make the shipment for August.

Presumably this is no longer the case, they can't make any more in time for this shipment, the cars for August delivery will be making their way to the dock and onto the ship and over here!

Hopefully soon we'll be seeing cars at the dock and be able to track a ship a ship bound for au/nz.

Of course this all depends on only one shipment for August and probably a few other variables like how organised they are etc.

I like your optimistic interpretation. The pessimistic version is that they're now acknowledging that they're going to miss the original August delivery target.

Reactions: meowsers
I had a quick look and what it looks like they have done is, They have kept the price of P- and are selling the LR RWD with that same price. They have removed finally Internet Browser from the Interior page for Premium Interior models. They have moved Pearl-White to be the first and free colour and added small fee for Black. They have changed the P model to be performance package inclusive and added the white interior option for the P model only.
Now the strange difference between the P and AWD model specs though is the NEDC range for P is 560km but AWD has 620km. Seems a bit bigger difference than expected unless the AWD is getting a battery upgrade?

Reactions: baillies

They way the contract reads - no, you pay the original price. You do have the right to cancel, get your deposit back (eventually) and reorder on the new spec. for next wave delivery.

In reality if you wanted white, and either ordered it or didn't order it due to the price, now would really be a good time to pick up the phone to Tesla. Maybe if you ordered white you may still get it in the first wave that way.

Totally tempted to cancel current order to get the white interior...for an extra $4.5K.
What's the consensus around whether existing orders are still likely to be August and new ones Spetember?

I spoke with Tesla about this and they said that by August they are more likely to be August 31st than early August. With regards to the September date it should be the 2nd half of Sept. Some Tesla staff have changed their orders as well.

I'm sure Tesla know what they are doing but why keep changing the options available... just allow people to order the configuration they want and remove the issues around people cancelling orders when prices/options change. I believe most people would be happy to order what they want, know the car is getting built and delivered within a reasonable time frame. Many of us have held reservations for over 3 years only to not order a car because it's "off menu".

The reality is that those who want long range may not order a new car and just wait a little longer for them to become available on the 2nd hand market.

Over to you Tesla...

After all the big changes today I reached out to Tesla for an official statement. I then updated my post with the statement. Looks like the motivation was international simplification. S and X are also changed.
- Big changes for Tesla Model 3 Long Range 620km, white interior and September deliveries (updated) - techAU

Personally I'm going to stick with my Pearl white Model 3 Perf (non+), while I could save about $3k and add some range, I drop the amazing 3.4s 0-100km/hr and the August delivery date.

Last edited:
After all the big changes today I reached out to Tesla for an official statement. I then updated my post with the statement. Looks like the motivation was international simplification. S and X are also changed.
- Big changes for Tesla Model 3 Long Range 620km, white interior and September deliveries (updated) - techAU

Personally I'm going to stick with my Pearl white Model 3 Perf (non+), while I could save about $3k and add some range, I drop the amazing 3.4s 0-100km/hr and the August delivery date.
Jason, your article just above the Step 1 says "225km/h top speed and Track Mode." where the performance with the spoiler and track mode is rated 261 km/h according to tesla. I think you accidentally used SR+ speed there.

“In order to make purchasing our vehicles even simpler, we are standardising our global vehicle lineup and streamlining the number of trim packages offered for Model S, Model X and Model 3. We are also adjusting our pricing in order to continue to improve affordability for customers."

This is standard corporate you know what.... They are only making purchasing more difficult by changing the options available. I'm sure the production line can handle installing the LR battery instead of the SR+ battery in a RWD car.

Jason, your article just above the Step 1 says "225km/h top speed and Track Mode." where the performance with the spoiler and track mode is rated 261 km/h according to tesla. I think you accidentally used SR+ speed there.

Just to clarify, that content is directly from Tesla (prior to Step 1).. from Step 1 through Step 4 are my observations about what's changed. I agree with you that the figure should be 261km. Will update to clarify.

I've decided to change my order with a month delay on the original. I really wanted white interior all along and being "pushed" into a performance is okay with me. Prefer the wheels, red calipers and bigger discs. Happy camper except I've already had the "look" from the wife on the $$$.

• Funny
Reactions: m4rtin
“In order to make purchasing our vehicles even simpler, we are standardising our global vehicle lineup and streamlining the number of trim packages offered for Model S, Model X and Model 3. We are also adjusting our pricing in order to continue to improve affordability for customers."

This is standard corporate you know what.... They are only making purchasing more difficult by changing the options available. I'm sure the production line can handle installing the LR battery instead of the SR+ battery in a RWD car.
SR+ is a completely different battery than LR and the LR AWD is different yet because it has the cabling included for the front drive unit. This makes the LR RWD battery pack a different SKU unless they just leave the extra AWD cabling there not connected to anything. This was a cost saving move that was reported early in the production ramp. Very early LR RWD cars had the AWD cabling even though they had not produced any AWD cars yet or even announced when it would be available. Anyway, this is my personal speculation about why Tesla really wants to discontinue LR RWD even though, IMHO, it's the best configuration.

I truly doubt the range increase on the LR AWD - it may well be a marketing thing, since the US site shows the same range for Performance & consider that the LR RWD was dropped from 330 miles to 310 miles range for marketing reasons

USA and UK (probably others) got a price reduction but ours seem unchanged. Eg. my SR+ order configuration is still the same price as before but in the USA is $990 cheaper and £1,560 cheaper in the UK.

I can understand the USA getting a price cut with the tax credit reduction but don't get why the UK gets a price cut and not us?

I truly doubt the range increase on the LR AWD - it may well be a marketing thing, since the US site shows the same range for Performance & consider that the LR RWD was dropped from 330 miles to 310 miles range for marketing reasons

I'd posted the below on Jason's blog earlier. It may be marketing, it may be forgetting to update everything, it is certainly that 3 standards are being used. It is most likely not a new battery pack.

"I’m not so sure of the new range claims of the Dual motor non- performance and that it may have mechanically changed. Yes, under NEDC it has an impressive 60km more. But under WLTP (Tesla UK and Ireland were my source) it is only a difference of 30km (this ‘could’ be just the wheels in that test), the US site is, after the same update of models, still showing identical range under EPA."

So the difference is definitely one of 4. 60km, 30km, 0km or some-other km.

Have reached out to tesla to confirm
1) is June 'Performance minus upgrade' Version the same as the July LR AWD in every way ...
2) Do i get homelink as it was part of premium when i ordered
3) Do i get the $889 reduced price

obviously #2 & #3 above kind of go against each other - but i'll see what they say, no harm in asking.

Wondering whether to save $3k on drive away and go for white now - choices choices !!

At least it'll be easier taking to the insurance company about a 'long range all wheel drive' instead of the 'Performance minus the upgrade'