Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To each according to their needs.
For me, if I changed the wheels from factory 18 inch, I would not go 19 inch, I would go 17 inch for softer ride. For Springs I would most definitely not lower them, I would probably raise them an extra 1-2cm, as my driveway is on a steep angle and where it meets the street most of my friends have scraped parts of their car lower extremities off there. I believe the better brakes would be the only part of that upgrade I would love. Spoilers I don't really like and mostly they just add drag. The pedals I don't really care about as I don't stare at them much.

All these extra additions only have minor benefits without track mode tying them all together, track mode is not just a quick software program thought up by the junior computer whiz in Fremont, it was a collaboration between many people including professional race car drivers, of course the $6000 benefit is not there if you rarely expect to take your model 3 to the track.

Just arrived in my inbox...Model 3s on CS:
Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 5.36.41 pm.png

To each according to their needs.
For me, if I changed the wheels from factory 18 inch, I would not go 19 inch, I would go 17 inch for softer ride. For Springs I would most definitely not lower them, I would probably raise them an extra 1-2cm, as my driveway is on a steep angle and where it meets the street most of my friends have scraped parts of their car lower extremities off there. I believe the better brakes would be the only part of that upgrade I would love. Spoilers I don't really like and mostly they just add drag. The pedals I don't really care about as I don't stare at them much.

You need an S with auto-geo-air-suspension....my S is the only car I’ve never scraped the bottom of (similar driveway to you it would seem).

I lower the car (often on the highway) and it most certainly does increase the range noticeably.

I may only be 10 years off being a grandpa but I don’t want to look one quite yet ;-)

Reactions: Ashleysteadman
So yeah, the Tesla deal is good if you want something that is sportier and way better looking etc.
I agree, but of course it attracts LCT so it will end up being more than $6200. Personally I would get it even though I am not a fan of the look of the bigger wheels, but I would like the track mode, lowered suspension, larger wheels with grippier tyres, and bigger brakes.
I think though some Tesla performance buyers are mainly looking for the extra range, they are not necessarily similar to buyers of other performance sedans such as BMW M3.

It's not brake covers or just red paint, different brakes....whilst you don't use brakes all that much around town you will with spirited driving.

Personally I think those wheels, even with covers off, are ugly and I will be going staggered (have staggered on my Model S now) tyres...you cannot do this on the Aeros.

You cannot buy a decent spoiler after market (they're all ugly) and the original Telsa one can only be bought as replacements if you have one on your car and it gets damaged.

Then there is the springs....better range of course because you're lower to the ground however of course way better driving/handling and visually not the big ugly space between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch. We are not talking about a stupid young boys lowering effect, think more German M series lowered.

Better Wheels than Aero: $5k+
Lowering Springs : $2.5k (installed)
Better Brakes : $3.5k fitted (this would only be fronts and rear painted black)
Spoiler : $1.5k (non-Tesla and uglier)
Acc/Brake Pedals : $250+ ($450 for Tesla originals)
Total (not including the faster speed) : $12,750

So yeah, the Tesla deal is good if you want something that is sportier and way better looking etc.
I have driven a Performance 5000 miles and a LR RWD about 1000 miles and would always take the later.
The performance is somewhat a waste of time.

I got 45,000km on my first set, on the second set now and just clicked over 70,000km’s today and have at least 10,000km’s left on them.....I’d say fast take offs and fast cornering is a much bigger wearer of the tyres.

Nailed it @EcoCloudIT , driver behavior is a big factor, my first set lasted 62,000kms, the second set of Michelins are on 96,000kms with over 3mm remaining on all four.

I got 45,000km on my first set, on the second set now and just clicked over 70,000km’s today and have at least 10,000km’s left on them.....I’d say fast take offs and fast cornering is a much bigger wearer of the tyres.
Fast take offs and launches caused my tyre walls to start shredding (Michelins) on 19 inch but I still got about 53k out of them. I found that the inside thread wore out first and service told me it was caused by the different camber from the car lowering on long trips. Next set I got split 21's (arachnid rims) and they have done about 30k and are getting low. More evenly wearing, but cannot rotate like the 19's. Less long trips and not many launches these days.

I got the email as well (up sell from M3P- to M3P+), but I have chosen to spend $8000 NZD on FSD instead. I am maxed out for now :(
- I will paint the calipers red for about $100 and some time.
- Some time in the future I will buy the TSportLine 18" rims for about $2500 NZD including freight and GST.
- I could just transfer the MXM4 tyres from the Aeros but I think I can justify another tyre set as they are 'consumables'. Thinking of a set of Cooper RS3-G1s. They are all seasons and have a long tread life for a performance tyre. I can then use the Aeros for long distances and the RS3-G1s for round town and hills :)