Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 driven by the wrong owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a lifetime of driving I have three wrong car examples.

Once we had a rental. My wife and I hopped into an unlocked car. Correct model and color. It just didn’t feel right. After perhaps 20 seconds we realized it was not our car.

My wife and I both had Mazdas. I was driving mine but had her keys with me. I double parked unlocked and when I got back I used her keys to try to start. They inserted fine but would not turn. Cars were now waiting behind me. Very stressful. It took about a minute to sort out.

We now drive a blue model 3 with roof racks. We keep the roof racks on to make it easier to recognize the car. One day there was a blue model 3 with roof racks parked next to us. There are a lot of Teslas in our neighborhood.
You don't know what your license plate looks like? After grabbing the door handle on the wrong car I always look at mine. It's right there as I approach.

My wheels are different enough with a red center hub decal
CAB8D91F-F2E6-4E2A-8041-D87ED4BF7A79.jpeg

Bottom line is that I think the implication here is that your phone key can unlock the wrong car. Safe to say that didn't happen. If someone forgets and leaves their phone in their car and has not set up PIN to drive, anyone can get in and drive off. Doesn't mean people are walking around able to unlock the wrong car.

Even with the phone-left-in-car scenario, a lot has to align for you to not notice it isn't your Tesla. You have to be roughly the same height as the real owner, listen to the same music station (or no music), have the mirrors and steering wheel adjusted the same way, screen layout and options the same, etc.

Mike