Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model 3 awd lr only getting 286 miles of range at 100% charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The quoted ranges are based on EPA estimates, who regulate the conditions under which the ranges are computed for ICE and BEV cars. The actual range you get varies based on weather (rain etc), temperature, your driving speed and style etc. Just like it does for ICE, except for BEVs there is a wider variance with temperature as a result of battery chemistry.

My last ICE car had a mileage range indicator from a full to empty tank, and while accurate it rarely gave me "full" range after I filled the tank (which would have been rated MPG per EPA multiplied by tank capacity). EPA estimates are artificial in that they are done in very controlled environments (e.g. run without A/C or heaters on etc). Really, you can only use them for comparison shopping, though my experience has been that the M3 gets pretty close to quoted range in summer with moderate driving.
Let me preface this reply by once again saying I love my Teslas and would NEVER drive another ice car, BUT come on people. Lease stop responding to every negative comment about electric vehicles with "well, what about ICE cars?" That's Apples and oranges. My old Audi S6 never showed 500 mile at a fill up then 400 at the next fill up based on my driving. Even though the millage depended on driving practices or air condition usage, I alway got the same mileage at every fill up. All I'm saying is Tesla should start being more honest and conservative with its mileage instead of always trying to show the highest EPA range. maybe I should just hire a driver from the EPA so my car can always get the rated range (joke) lol

As another data point.

My one year old Model 3 AWD Stealth 9K miles went from 310 to 306 in a year with very cold winters. That is true 100% charge.
My Model X I never fully charged to 100% until 5 months in and 5K and it's at 324 and the spec is 328.

I did notice the Model 3 did dip a little in winter (like 304) and came back in the spring.

But nothing close to number folks are posting in this thread. I'd be little concerned too.

Pretty light winter in New England and I don't know how it is in the rest of the country but if it's not dropping below 40F at night you should be past the "cold winters" phase (as far as what full charge shows). You still might hit limited regen which has nothing to do with battery capacity. Also assuming all posts have no "Snow Flakes" showing.

Personally, I think an occasional high watt Supercharge is good for the battery (but not on an excessively hot day).
Also slow charging to a high SOC gives the battery tons of time to balance.

I have never once "cycled" my battery to get it to show good "capacity". It seems happy with my normal charging practices, which I must say is not normal by design. Meaning I try purposely to vary it up.

A SOC of 306 would be a sight for soar eye for me. Since Iv'e had the car I have never seen more than 286 on a full charge. Even though I'm in CT (New England) both of our M3 are kept in the garage at home and charged with a V2 HPWC. no super charging. My wife car is fine on displayed milage but mine isn't. Two cars in the same exact environment with very different behavior.

Something I also notice, on my wife's M3 when your adjusting the battery SOC, the milage is displayed on the lower left portion of the battery icon. my car doesn't show the estimated range. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and what are your thoughts?

I have had my M3 LR AWD for only 11 days and I have yet to see a range on the display. What I see is a percentage. I am supposed to have a range of 322 miles so I figure 32.2 miles for every 10% of charge that I use. I have taken trips the last two weekends and have exceeded 32.2 miles per 10% on both trips. From experience with my Ford C-Max hybrid I know that cold, rain, rapid acceleration and using the brakes to slow down the car (i.e. loss of regen) will significantly hurt your efficiency. The last two weekends here have been well above freezing with dry pavement AND I never exceeded the speed limit of 60mph. I am sure there will be times when I take advantage of the effortless power of this car and cruise at 80 mph across Arizona or Montana but when my Wh per mile rises, I won't complain.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
A SOC of 306 would be a sight for soar eye for me. Since Iv'e had the car I have never seen more than 286 on a full charge. Even though I'm in CT (New England) both of our M3 are kept in the garage at home and charged with a V2 HPWC. no super charging. My wife car is fine on displayed milage but mine isn't. Two cars in the same exact environment with very different behavior.

Something I also notice, on my wife's M3 when your adjusting the battery SOC, the milage is displayed on the lower left portion of the battery icon. my car doesn't show the estimated range. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and what are your thoughts?

I would try a Super Charge on your car. It's kind of fun once in a while.
Do it when you are below 30% and charge to at least 90%.
Make sure you are not on a bay paired to another car and ideally on V2 or newer.

That is odd your car isn't showing target estimated range. Maybe it is a sign that the "fullness of the battery" calibration is off.
It knows it's a bogus number so it does not display at all.

I have had my M3 LR AWD for only 11 days and I have yet to see a range on the display. What I see is a percentage. I am supposed to have a range of 322 miles so I figure 32.2 miles for every 10% of charge that I use. I have taken trips the last two weekends and have exceeded 32.2 miles per 10% on both trips. From experience with my Ford C-Max hybrid I know that cold, rain, rapid acceleration and using the brakes to slow down the car (i.e. loss of regen) will significantly hurt your efficiency. The last two weekends here have been well above freezing with dry pavement AND I never exceeded the speed limit of 60mph. I am sure there will be times when I take advantage of the effortless power of this car and cruise at 80 mph across Arizona or Montana but when my Wh per mile rises, I won't complain.

Congrats on the new M3. I don't think people are complaining, we are simply voicing our observations and frustration at what we apparently don't understand. At the same time, this is how corporations are held acountable in a free and capitalistic society. Not every car they make will be one hundred percent perfect. There are defects in any thing that is mass produced. In my case, Ive already had to have my main computer replaced and sent to free mount to be diagnosed because of auto pilot issue. How can so may people have the same exact issues from different part of the country and different driving and charging habits. Most posting about the mileage loss is the exact same SOC limit of 286. Is that coincidence?

You need to change it to miles if you want miles in one of the settings pages. Sorry I forget which page you set that, it should be obvious.

This is NOT about efficiency !!

This is about the absolute capacity of your battery (or what your car thinks is its capacity) regardless of efficiency.
Your "needle" on your battery should be on F when Full !!

How you use the battery between F and E is an entirely different discussion.

Just change to “distance” display (Not “energy”) in the display settings.

You need to get ~226Wh/mi to have rated-mi-per-mile rolloff with your 18” AWD vehicle. Report back when you achieve that, with your results.

Just change to “distance” display (Not “energy”) in the display settings.

You need to get ~226Wh/mi to have rated-mi-per-mile rolloff with your 18” AWD vehicle. Report back when you achieve that, with your results.

Sounds like he already is. He said he was getting better than 32.2 miles per 10% depletion of battery. That's pretty good !!

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
You need to change it to miles if you want miles in one of the settings pages. Sorry I forget which page you set that, it should be obvious.

This is NOT about efficiency !!

This is about the absolute capacity of your battery (or what your car thinks is its capacity) regardless of efficiency.
Your "needle" on your battery should be on F when Full !!

How you use the battery between F and E is an entirely different discussion.
RIGHT ON!!! how can one gauge the health of the battery if the full limit constantly fluctuates?

RIGHT ON!!! how can one gauge the health of the battery if the full limit constantly fluctuates?

That (the full limit) is a direct measure of energy available and hence the battery health. Unless it is cold, it won’t fluctuate much in my experience. It only goes down, gradually over time. Mine went from 310 to 304 to 302 to 300 for several months, and is now at 298. Pretty simple math: 73kWh vs. the original ~78kWh (could be as low as 76kWh but I doubt it - I would estimate I started with the equivalent of ~316 rated miles that displayed as 310 *inflated* rated miles). So a very small, expected 7% loss of capacity after 15k miles.

Last edited:
That (the full limit) is a direct measure of energy available and hence the battery health. Unless it is cold, it won’t fluctuate much in my experience. It only goes down, gradually over time.

I agree it drops a little in winter and I bet my winters are a heck of lot colder than yours, in my experience, not that much, 3-4 miles tops.
I typically do my 100% Charges on a Supercharger and they take a good while. The battery is pretty warmed up when done. But the calibration can still be off a bit from general winter charging.

For the record I don't plug in daily / charge daily. I Plug in and charge as needed. Typically 40 to 80 or 90. Might be on slow AC or SC.

• Disagree
Reactions: flyingowl
That (the full limit) is a direct measure of energy available and hence the battery health. Unless it is cold, it won’t fluctuate much in my experience. It only goes down, gradually over time. Mine went from 310 to 304 to 302 to 300 for several months, and is now at 298. Pretty simple math: 73kWh vs. the original ~78kWh (could be as low as 76kWh but I doubt it - I would estimate I started with the equivalent of ~316 rated miles that displayed as 310 *inflated* rated miles). So a very small, expected 7% loss of capacity after 15k miles.

I can understand and agree with most of that, BUT in my case it was not gradual, temp wasn't a factor and health shouldn't be a factor since I had less than 1K mile on the car. even now my car only has 6K miles 8 months later

I can understand and agree with most of that, BUT in my case it was not gradual, temp wasn't a factor and health shouldn't be a factor since I had less than 1K mile on the car. even now my car only has 6K miles 8 months later
Yeah, I switched to % so I don't have to see how much my battery has degraded (or my perception of it). I would surmise 90% of these range posts would go away if Tesla sandbagged the range to the EPA, and also only showed GOM miles instead of what they show now.

Yeah that kind of sucks for you. You’ll find your car takes less time to charge to 100% (or 90%) than a comparable vehicle with a higher number of miles at 100%, all else being equal. That’s because your battery’s capacity has been reduced. That’s the easiest way to tell. Obviously you have to do such a test under warm conditions at an equal charging rate to the reference vehicle. But it will definitely take less time to charge from (say) 10% to 90% than a brand new or “good” vehicle.

We’ve done this experiment recently with an SR vehicle in Florida. The results matched expectations exactly. It’s not a “bad estimate” or anything like that - there is simply less available energy, so it takes less time to fill it up. Kind of like having a smaller gas tank.

I would surmise 90% of these range posts would go away if Tesla sandbagged the range to the EPA, and also only showed GOM miles instead of what they show now.

I kinda wish the default was to hide the top 10 to ? percent like some EVs do because it seems most people would like to safely reach "100%" all the time and maybe small variations at the top would be less noticeable

My god, do you Tesla Bot's listen or try to read to your response posts????? It's like a broken record of Tesla Bot fanatics over and over programmed, "If you don't like the EPA, just go change it, if you don't like it yourself?" Then all the other Fan Boys BS about, okay, what tires were you wearing with what rims at 10pm at night in mid August crap? Really?

I drive 278-280Kw/wt or less whatever it is says on average, and I still cant get much over 200 miles on a car that was marketed for 310 miles. I get that it makes sense to stay under 65-70 MPH, but we are not stupid, neither is any other consumer over time that drives slow long enough. Most of us just spent 60-70+K plus or more on an EV expecting somewhat close to specific stats, and didn't get them anywhere close and it is supposed to be okay? Think about that resale value in 3-4 years?

I understand how not being as efficient as the EPA rating can be disappointing (I'm on a road trip that if I could achieve EPA ratings, I would be far more comfortable) there's just some new things to consider with EVs. There's no familiar way to portray winter losses or even usage per distance (how many people understand Wh/mi?) Also, this thread is not about efficiency, it's about capacity. Which, for what it's worth, Tesla is actually being relatively transparent on by showing you the "rated distance" possible at 100% charge, thus sort of showing remaining capacity.

As another datapoint with a sufficiently warm battery, after 9 months and 19,358mi I now charge to 306mi instead of 310mi. 23% of my charging has been DC fast chargers (Superchargers and CHAdeMO, probably 70/30). We used to charge to 90% when we first got it, then 80%, then 70%, then back to 80% in Winter. Usually use 30-50% per day depending on the season. My nominal capacity via ScanMyTesla is 75.1kWh currently.

In my experience the battery being cold accounts for at most 3% temporary reduction in reported capacity/range before the snowflake icon kicks in (I haven't had it much colder than that yet). Once the battery is warm, that energy is available to you again.