Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla + Galaxy Watch 4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, is anyone using a smartwatch to unlock their car, etc.? I just bought a Galaxy Watch 4 that I believe should also do the trick - the apps I've read about say to have the valet key with you, as the watches require internet to unlock - I've never liked any of the android watches though I'm on the android ecosystem except for my iPad - my wife and kids are all apple, and I thought about switching just to get a really great watch/phone combo - but I like my android so.....
I'm hoping the Galaxy 4 which finally uses the google ecosystem versus Tizen, will do what I want.
I'd be very interested in experiences.
Basically, if my phone got lost, died, etc. could I use my watch in lieu of it?
I thought about getting a ring with the valet card NFC chip in it, but that's getting too paranoid for even me.
I do try to take 2 sets of keys when we go on a long trip - my wife 1, me 1, so we never get stuck.
The Tesla offers I think up to 19 keys (um, no) - but I can see the valet key, phone, and watch being the equivalent of 3 keys, or maybe only 2 if there's no internet.
I'd also love the watch to be able to work via BT to the car, or even NFC like the valet cards.
Again, any info appreciated! The longer I wait for this beast, the more I think about stuff I'd like to know...since I can't, you know, drive a hypothetical car.

Hi all, is anyone using a smartwatch to unlock their car, etc.? I just bought a Galaxy Watch 4 that I believe should also do the trick - the apps I've read about say to have the valet key with you, as the watches require internet to unlock - I've never liked any of the android watches though I'm on the android ecosystem except for my iPad - my wife and kids are all apple, and I thought about switching just to get a really great watch/phone combo - but I like my android so.....
I'm hoping the Galaxy 4 which finally uses the google ecosystem versus Tizen, will do what I want.
I thought about getting a ring with the valet card NFC chip in it, but that's getting too paranoid for even me.
I do try to take 2 sets of keys when we go on a long trip - my wife 1, me 1, so we never get stuck.
The Tesla offers I think up to 19 keys (um, no) - but I can see the valet key, phone, and watch being the equivalent of 3 keys, or maybe only 2 if there's no internet.
I'd also love the watch to be able to work via BT to the car, or even NFC like the valet cards.
Again, any info appreciated! The longer I wait for this beast, the more I think about stuff I'd like to know...since I can't, you know, drive a hypothetical car.
I recently got a Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 and I wanted to do the same thing. I didn't like the existing options so I ended up making my own app. It requires an internet connection either via phone or LTE. I'm looking into adding Bluetooth support as that would be a great backup, also much faster as it doesn't require data to be routed via Tesla's API to the car. If you'd like to checkout my app it's called Tesla Time on Google Play

looks great - i ended up getting rid of the watch - i still dont' have my car, and bought the watch mostly for the potential to start the car, but also because i thought the google watch ecosystem was improved - i've trie since it came out, and now wear os, and it has left me disappointed every time.
however, i am led to believe the apple ecosystem is somewhat similar.
for me, it was crippled apps - like i could download alexa apps, that let me do like 4 different things, and not act complely like a mobile echo.
i found that with just about all the apps, and battery life, etc.

so , i'm back to my regular watches, and am seriously considering a ring with the chip in it for those times i want to just start the car without getting my phone, which would be rare anyway. maybe at the beach, etc. (which i don't go to much)

I recently got a Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 and I wanted to do the same thing. I didn't like the existing options so I ended up making my own app. It requires an internet connection either via phone or LTE. I'm looking into adding Bluetooth support as that would be a great backup, also much faster as it doesn't require data to be routed via Tesla's API to the car. If you'd like to checkout my app it's called Tesla Time on Google Play
Any chance to make it a tile as well?

if you could sort out the Bluetooth side of things it will be a game changer, as far as I know all other apps require routing via the internet so presumably not easy to do...any update on this?

Reactions: joshendy
if you could sort out the Bluetooth side of things it will be a game changer, as far as I know all other apps require routing via the internet so presumably not easy to do...any update on this?
Yeah definitely would be nice, it's pretty annoying waiting several seconds for the Tesla app (and my app) to connect to the car. I've managed to connect to the car and communicate with it over Bluetooth LE on my watch. Currently working on authenticating with the car which is proving quite difficult. I've just finished up at work for the year so I'm hoping I'll have more time now to get it going.

Yeah definitely would be nice, it's pretty annoying waiting several seconds for the Tesla app (and my app) to connect to the car. I've managed to connect to the car and communicate with it over Bluetooth LE on my watch. Currently working on authenticating with the car which is proving quite difficult. I've just finished up at work for the year so I'm hoping I'll have more time now to get it going.
Thanks for the update joshendy👍🏼...got an M3 LR picking up Saturday but on the fence which app to use on my Samsung galaxy watch 4 🤔...seen "Dashcam for Tesla" with a Sam GW4 interface but far more expensive long term as subscription based, also don't want to be using another Tesla phone app as happy with the Telsa official app..."Wear for Tesla" is the closest app I've seen to yours but still using the token access method, namely the internet...until I get my vehicle I'll be holding off for a while until I see what you come up with...good luck...

Hey @joshendy, just purchased and installed Tesla Time on my Galaxy Watch 4 and it's great :)

Just wondering whether there is any way to make the tile configurable? I don't have Homelink so it's a wasted quick command option for me...would be great to be given the option to select what four command options are displayed on the tile (not sure if this is a limitation of WearOS though...still getting used to the watch which is my first using WearOS!).

Hey @joshendy, just purchased and installed Tesla Time on my Galaxy Watch 4 and it's great :)

Just wondering whether there is any way to make the tile configurable? I don't have Homelink so it's a wasted quick command option for me...would be great to be given the option to select what four command options are displayed on the tile (not sure if this is a limitation of WearOS though...still getting used to the watch which is my first using WearOS!).
Awesome, I'm glad you like it! Yep the tile is configurable, if you go into the settings menu (scroll down to the very bottom) you can change any of the four buttons to whatever you'd like :)

DOH...I somehow missed this...awesome...thanks!!
Awesome, I'm glad you like it! Yep the tile is configurable, if you go into the settings menu (scroll down to the very bottom) you can change any of the four buttons to whatever you'd like :)
DOH...I somehow missed the Settings option...great thanks! Awesome app...didn't think there was much Tesla integration available for Android so great to see developers embracing it :)

The DRIVE Electric for Tesla Wear OS app now use the NFC to act as a key card. Just tap and drive...

Check out this video on YouTube

Last edited:
Hi all, been a while since I started this thread - almost a year. I now have the Galaxy Watch 5 Pro which I'm generally satisfied with (it has less battery issues than the watches I essentially tried every year).
@joshendy I regret I didn't return to this thread soon enough - I bought two other apps that seem to be doing the trick for me. I did notice you now have two apps, and I can't really tell them apart - one seems to be more of the Bluetooth key (amazing in itself) but also seems to control the car, and the other app seems to control the car but no Bluetooth key - am i missing something?
Thanks so much!!!!

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Watt time, works throught the tesla API so it needs Data from your phone or LTE to work. Doing that is inherently slower cause it needs to wake up the care but you get all the relevant info in doing so

Watt Key is the essentially the functions of phone key on your watch so no need for data, sucks that they are separate but each has an awesome set of functions

Reactions: IamGaryGnu
Watt time, works throught the tesla API so it needs Data from your phone or LTE to work. Doing that is inherently slower cause it needs to wake up the care but you get all the relevant info in doing so

Watt Key is the essentially the functions of phone key on your watch so no need for data, sucks that they are separate but each has an awesome set of functions
Thanks. I'm still not entirely sure why someone would buy Watt Time vs. Watt Key though time is i think $3 less. It may also offer more functions, but I'd personally much rather have the ability for Bluetooth AND LTE.

Thanks. I'm still not entirely sure why someone would buy Watt Time vs. Watt Key though time is i think $3 less. It may also offer more functions, but I'd personally much rather have the ability for Bluetooth AND LTE.
Bc one you can use a watch as a key the other you can't. The watch as key has limited functions whereas the API app has more functions except can't be used as a key to drive.

Reactions: Mooda and joshendy
I will say the watch seems to not work as well w Model X auto door opening. Stays connected longer than phone and car doesn't seem to recognize you walked up thinks you never left. Not as ultra low range as phone or something. If don't use auto door open or care than it's perfect especially if exercising etc don't want to bring phone.