Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla forced an update of my P85D to 2019.16.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming you mean without disabling connectivity completely, I just had a thought.
You can try leaving your car "ON" all the time. If you press the brake pedal after getting out of the seat, the car will go to "ON" mode and not shut off when you close the door. It'd be a bit wasteful with excessive vampire drain, and you'd have to make sure the car locks every time or someone could sit and drive away. I doubt the car can upgrade when "ON."

Oops - nor can you charge though... Maybe if you charge during the day and leave it on at night? Aren't all these forced updates happening over night?

It's also not as simple as connecting to a dummy AP that has no real internet access. As soon as you cut off internet access of the middle man, the tesla goes back onto LTE.

What I need is some sort of firewall that allows traffic in but allows me to prevent file downloads that exceed some largish size.

Can anyone suggest any such wifi router? Of course that will only help if I'm at home. Parked at work or anywhere else, I'd need a different solution like a mobile hotspot that I'm always connected to that can prevent large file downloads.

I have a verizon mobile hotspot. I guess I should check and see if it has any such controls.

Same here. I'm constantly using the thumbwheel to dim the display when it's bright outside to keep the MCU from getting hot.
I use the thumb wheel the same. I'm still set to auto-adjust though, I think the car's supposed to learn your brightness preferences. It still does some pretty stupid things though; like when the sun's in my face and it reduces the screen brightness to 10% or lower.

I miss map colors, V7 one touch apps always go to the top half instead of V8 seemingly random placement, date and day of week on IC...

TESLA, LET US CHOOSE OUR INTERFACE VERSION!!! You seem to like sub-menus so much, add one more.

Short term success. So I took my verizon hot spot and removed the sim card. The car does connect to that and hasn't disconnected in an hour.

I also changed my home address to something that I never go to on the hopes that they only force updates while at home.

Has anyone gotten a forced update when away from home?

I really don't think they're geofencing updates when you're "home".

Just reaching. Also leaving my door open when I'm at home. I've always used the "power off" and left the door open a crack to keep the handle from retracting ever since it failed and I fixed the wire about 50K miles ago.

Now I'm wondering if that has anything to do with why I'm not on v9 yet...which would only make sense if they did geofence the update on the theory it's worse to strand a driver away from home than at home on the rare times MCU death is caused.

@wk057 For those of us still on v8, what can we do to prevent being updated to v9?

You'll have to root the car and disable cid-updater. If you're still on 8.x, shouldn't be too difficult. There aren't any other mechanisms for them to screw with things remotely on 8.x. You can disable SSH also to be sure.

I have an S that's still running 8.0 beta, and it just has cid-updater disabled.

Problem is, you'll eventually lose connectivity with Tesla, as they're ditching the VPN entirely and switching to their websocket hermes thing, which isn't on any 8.x builds.

View attachment 419382

Saw this on my FB Feed.

I can't stand the fracking arrogance here stating nags have no purpose and think its clever to install oranges and other defeat devices.

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS.

VIDEO: Driver apparently fast asleep while Tesla is on autopilot on 405 Fwy

What's up @wk057 ?

It takes WILLFUL effort to defeat the nag. When something happens like the above AND a violation happens, it should be a criminal offense.

I really do see Tesla's POV on this. As much as I don't like the idea of forced updates, I'm not sure if I wouldn't have done the same thing if I was sitting in the Tesla boardroom. Maybe users sue Tesla for forced updates that aren't in the ToS and maybe in 5 - 10 years a $50M settlement is reached with the impacted owners. But honestly why should Tesla care? Is "Tesla Forced an update" going to make headline news? I get that they have the power to allow certain users to retain certain versions. I get that V7 and V8 have a more intuitive interface for AP1 Model S drivers (despite the basically useless navigation and route planner). I get that nowhere in our contracts did any of us explicitly sign a doc saying they can force updates or cut us off. But Tesla is quite literally in the fight for their very existence.The Governments of the US, Japan, Germany, Italy, Uk, China or India are not going to bail Tesla out. It's a tough call and I see everyone's POV but in the end Tesla will do whatever it takes to make electric cars the new Model T.

Last edited:
It takes WILLFUL effort to defeat the nag. When something happens like the above AND a violation happens, it should be a criminal offense.

This is Elon "2014"... back when he was brilliant, innovative... yet rational. There's not a word I can disagree with in this interview. Things starting getting weird 2015-present.

Elon Musk on Tesla's Auto Pilot and Legal Liability

I really do see Tesla's POV on this. As much as I don't like the idea of forced updates, I'm not sure if I wouldn't have done the same thing if I was sitting in the Tesla boardroom.

You had my down vote at this :p

I don't find myself defending Elon/Tesla much these days... and I've been a very vocal v9 hater. However I do believe Tesla should have the right to force down updates for safety (e.g. bms/ap) and security (e.g. heartbleed) purposes. It would be great if they could release forked updates per OS version. It's really not that hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: aerodyne
Has anyone gotten a forced update when away from home?

My car was given a forced update away from “home”. My official address with Tesla is up north. I was in FL for approximately 1-1/2 weeks when my car was updated via LTE.

BTW, my car has not been connected to WiFi for approximately 2-1/2 years and it still continued to receive numerous updates, which I declined to install. So it doesn’t seem to matter whether you are on LTE or WiFi, and whether you are home or away. When Tesla wants to update your car, they can regardless of the car’s location and the internet connection you have (LTE or WiFi).

• Informative
Reactions: sorka and kavyboy
. However I do believe Tesla should have the right to force down updates for safety (e.g. bms/ap) and security (e.g. heartbleed) purposes.

Just because they have the technical ability to do this OTA does not mean they should be able to whatever they want, whenever they want. If another manufacturer has a safety/security concern that is extremely important they issue a mandatory recall. Tesla should do the same. If there are performance implications to the change that they want to make(and there surely are some as witnessed in the "16.2 causes range loss thread") then those need to be comprehended by all and made public in the recall notice.

My car was given a forced update away from “home”. My official address with Tesla is up north. I was in FL for approximately 1-1/2 weeks when my car was updated via LTE.

BTW, my car has not been connected to WiFi for approximately 2-1/2 years and it still continued to receive numerous updates, which I declined to install. So it doesn’t seem to matter whether you are on LTE or WiFi, and whether you are home or away. When Tesla wants to update your car, they can regardless of the car’s location and the internet connection you have (LTE or WiFi).

For now my car is connected to the network only when I drive which means I have no app access while it's parked which I'm willing to live with until I can get have my eMMC2 ripped out board socketted, backed up, and then rooted.

So far it's staying connected to my Verizon hotspot and then blocked when I have wifi on. I just have to remember to turn wifi on whenever I park.

The risk currently is if an update is downloaded while I'm driving.

You'll have to root the car and disable cid-updater. If you're still on 8.x, shouldn't be too difficult. There aren't any other mechanisms for them to screw with things remotely on 8.x. You can disable SSH also to be sure.

I have an S that's still running 8.0 beta, and it just has cid-updater disabled.

Problem is, you'll eventually lose connectivity with Tesla, as they're ditching the VPN entirely and switching to their websocket hermes thing, which isn't on any 8.x builds.

Jason, any idea when they'll they switch off their legacy vpn? Have they implemented the websocket connection yet? Presumably they'll leave the old thing alone for a while but obviously not forever. If I've only got 2 months before I can't use V8 any more even if I can block their updates, then it probably doesn't make sense to go through the hassle of rooting. If however we're looking at a good year left, then I'd go through the trouble to root.

Another reason to not upgrade... Tesla owners see battery range drop after software update to 'improve longevity' - Electrek

Tesla owner David Rasmussen got one of the most severe drops we have seen so far. He told Electrek:

“My 2014 Model S 85 was getting Rated Range of 247 miles until May 13. Now after the next update, it continued to drop to now 217 miles. This is an 11% drop in 5 weeks.” Rasmussen has been plotting the battery capacity degradation of his Model S over the last 100,000 miles or so and the recent drop is quite obvious:

Tesla-Range-Drop.jpg

He went to his local Tesla service center with the issue and like most other owners reporting the same issue, he was told that is “normal degradation” of the battery pack. That’s surprising because previous data showed that Tesla’s battery degradation is limited to less than 10% after over 160,000 miles. We contacted Tesla about the issue and the company confirmed to Electrek that the range reduction is due to the software update. Tesla told us that the goal of the update is to “protect the battery and improve battery longevity” and it resulted in a range loss for only “a small percentage of owners.”

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne and sorka