Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla F.U.D. appearing again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are earlier adopters and there are "never adopters". I live in oil country where virtually everyone is a "never adopters" including friends, family' and everyone I run into. Now that the media is back on the FUD I've re-evaluated my strategy when explaining why I have a Tesla. First, its not about climate and saving the planet. Thats a whole another issue and will miss the point. Just say It's about the car and the driving experience. Right away the question comes up how long does it take to charge and how far can you go. This is after they have explained to me that EVs are only good for daily driving in the city, yada, yada. Being an engineer and wanting to be technically correct in every I launch into its not a linear function and the last third takes longer than the 1st third and it depends on driving conditions etc. STOP, STOP, before their heads explode. Just say 30 minutes, while I go to the bathroom and get lunch or a snack. Remind them that they can't do that while filling their tank, they have to stand there in the freezing rain or heat for 5 to 10 minutes while filling, then you have to move the car to a parking spot. The next question is about range and I will just say 300 miles and thats all I care to drive without stopping stretching and resting. Also their comment about "EVs are only good for daily driving in the city, yada, yada" just say thats true for the other guys, Ford GM etc.not Tesla. Then, I might add, depending if it gets testy, talk about range anxiety. Tell them they have far more range anxiety in that they have to remember to drive to or at least past a station once a week or more and spend 5 to 10 minutes filling up. I plug in, when I get out of the car which takes less 15 seconds. -I'll talk about driving experience in another post.

Reactions: NeverGoingBack
There are earlier adopters and there are "never adopters". I live in oil country where virtually everyone is a "never adopters" including friends, family' and everyone I run into. Now that the media is back on the FUD I've re-evaluated my strategy when explaining why I have a Tesla. First, its not about climate and saving the planet. Thats a whole another issue and will miss the point. Just say It's about the car and the driving experience. Right away the question comes up how long does it take to charge and how far can you go. This is after they have explained to me that EVs are only good for daily driving in the city, yada, yada. Being an engineer and wanting to be technically correct in every I launch into its not a linear function and the last third takes longer than the 1st third and it depends on driving conditions etc. STOP, STOP, before their heads explode. Just say 30 minutes, while I go to the bathroom and get lunch or a snack. Remind them that they can't do that while filling their tank, they have to stand there in the freezing rain or heat for 5 to 10 minutes while filling, then you have to move the car to a parking spot. The next question is about range and I will just say 300 miles and thats all I care to drive without stopping stretching and resting. Also their comment about "EVs are only good for daily driving in the city, yada, yada" just say thats true for the other guys, Ford GM etc.not Tesla. Then, I might add, depending if it gets testy, talk about range anxiety. Tell them they have far more range anxiety in that they have to remember to drive to or at least past a station once a week or more and spend 5 to 10 minutes filling up. I plug in, when I get out of the car which takes less 15 seconds. -I'll talk about driving experience in another post.
No oil or other fluid changes, spark plugs, exhaust systems to maintain.
Do some of them drive 15 minutes each way to a Costco to save 10c a gallon?
While I sit and charge in my air conditioned Y, I observe those standing in 100 degree heat filling their tank whenever I decide to open my eyes from resting. My charge on my credit card is much much less than those paying at the pump.

No oil or other fluid changes, spark plugs, exhaust systems to maintain.
Do some of them drive 15 minutes each way to a Costco to save 10c a gallon?
While I sit and charge in my air conditioned Y, I observe those standing in 100 degree heat filling their tank whenever I decide to open my eyes from resting. My charge on my credit card is much much less than those paying at the pump.
All that and I can catch up on Netflix and YouTube if I have to wait for the car to charge.
And, I can leave the Porsche of the world in the dust if I choose too. Happy happy joy 🤩 joy.

Reactions: howardnj