Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Extended Warranty when purchased Used from a Private Party?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to Tesla and have deposits down for two Model 3's (I was #16 in Las Vegas).

We are thinking about purchasing a used Model S, probably a 2014 with low miles. I'm seeing prices
in the high 50's and low 60's. (if anyone knows the best web site to find the best deals on the Model S,
please let me know!)

I've been getting conflicting information about the ability for the new owner of a used Model S to add on
an extended warranty. I've read that you can do it and I've read that you can't. One person told me the
original owner would have to purchase the extended warranty before selling me the car. That's fine for
a private party transaction, but wouldn't work if I find the "right" Model S at a dealer.

Can anyone give me some accurate information, and is there a way to get an extended warranty on
a used model S purchase? We plan to keep the car for a long time and feel more comfortable having
the extra coverage.

Thanks very much.

Hello Scott.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but Tesla sells certified pre-owned as well as inventory units from their loaner fleet. The inventory cars are still eligible for the Federal tax credit. You can look for cars on Tesla's site:
Pre-Owned Model S | Tesla Motors
or you can go to http://ev-cpo.com/ and search there.

The CPO cars come with a fresh 4-year 50k-mile warranty from when you take delivery of the car. The down side is CPO cars are not eligible for the extended warranty.

Everything I read before said that you can buy the extended warranty if you do a private-party purchase as long as the original warranty hasn't expired. Perhaps this has been changed; I don't know.