Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ftr, mine said TBD for a day or two when I came off hold. Getting assigned a VIN today should still get you in the clear for a 2022 delivery even if the car is on their lot.

The Senate reconvenes on Monday. I'm not sure what they're going to work on but it sounds like they may split up BBB. I don't think EVs are top priority.
Schumer said the senate is going to move forward with a vote on what the house passed regardless if they have the votes or not to get everyone (manchin and sinema) “on record” so that is likely to happen first. That will probably take a few more weeks though as the parliamentarian hasn’t even finished evaluating the bill yet. If the bill is voted down (which as of now is pretty much a certainty) they will have to come up with something new an far smaller that Manchin will (and the progressive caucus) accept. That will take more time. The budget is also coming due in February.

I think you are right, EV’s are not the priority in this bill, right now the child tax credit and universal Pre-k seem to be the biggest (and most expensive by far) priorities

Schumer said the senate is going to move forward with a vote on what the house passed regardless if they have the votes or not to get everyone (manchin and sinema) “on record” so that is likely to happen first. That will probably take a few more weeks though as the parliamentarian hasn’t even finished evaluating the bill yet. If the bill is voted down (which as of now is pretty much a certainty) they will have to come up with something new an far smaller that Manchin will (and the progressive caucus) accept. That will take more time. The budget is also coming due in February.

I think you are right, EV’s are not the priority in this bill, right now the child tax credit and universal Pre-k seem to be the biggest (and most expensive by far) priorities
Why not carve out EV stuff (under certain caps and Msrp limits) as it’s own bill?

A stand-alone bill would never pass. Just look at the currently active $7500 EV tax credit. It was part of Obama's larger $800 billion "American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009".

That old tax credit also illustrates why this was doomed when it didn't pass before 2021 ended. Obama signed that old law in February 2009. But you could not apply for it unless you purchased the car in January 2010 or later (link to full bill). So even if they pass something in 2022, you will likely not be able to apply unless you buy the car in 2023. Good luck getting Tesla to hold your order until 2023. If you buy in 2023, prices will likely be so much higher than 2021/2022 that it will render the rebate moot.

Reactions: voxel
agree with the current sentiment on the bill being dead

its time to exhale...no more holding your breath for this to pass.....pick up the car when its ready and enjoy!

june is only 6 mos away now hahahaha
There is still SOME chance of a broader bill passing, which some major items chopped out. And if that is the case, the provisions for extra tax credits for union-built EVS could turn out to be a great thing -- because they give Manchin something he can point to that he chopped out of EV credits, without destroying all of it. He clearly wants them hacked out, and wants lower income caps for buyers, and cutting down those might be enough to satisfy him.
we’re still a long way from anything happening at all though.

Reactions: jawnly211
Like I said above, anything passed now will give the auto makers too much advance warning. By the time you can take advantage of the credit in 2023, they will all have raised their MSRPs to completely cancel out the credit. Why not if they are selling out their entire production capacity at current prices without any credit available. Demand would need to drop significantly below supply to prevent them from raising prices.

Hypothetical question... Not asking if bill will pass and when.. Want to know under current language does the $55,000 limit for a sedan (model 3 in my case) include destination charges?
M3LR+Paint+19" Wheels+ White interior= $54,490...
With Destination charge ($1,200) + Order fee ($250) grand total is $55,940.
Does the destination fee make the vehicle exceed the $55,000 threshold or does delivery not apply to threshold?

Hypothetical question... Not asking if bill will pass and when.. Want to know under current language does the $55,000 limit for a sedan (model 3 in my case) include destination charges?
M3LR+Paint+19" Wheels+ White interior= $54,490...
With Destination charge ($1,200) + Order fee ($250) grand total is $55,940.
Does the destination fee make the vehicle exceed the $55,000 threshold or does delivery not apply to threshold?
Yes it would. MSRP always includes destination.

Darn, then if I were to play it safe which option to eliminate? White seats, or 19" wheels? What a dilemma!

Tesla if your listening... you need to lower the price by $941 for me to meet the hypothetical BBB plan :)
Wheels would be an easy choice for me. Very simple to add those later and you can choose from aftermarket ones as well. I guess you could get a wrap if you wanted to eliminate paint, and, if you were planning to PPF the car maybe that would end up the better route?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Bearded Tesla Guy provided this reply on YouTube - Does not include fees and taxes so you’d be good
I agree that hopefully the destination fee would not be considered part of the MSRP making this eligible (Hypothetically) under current BBB terms

Reactions: voxel