Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this instance.

Anyone who doesn’t need daddy.gov’s help buying a Tesla.
What’s to say someone making 500k a year needs daddy govs help?

Or even 250k?

Up to 500k seems way to generous for a house hold if you are saying that is what helps someone “afford” an EV.

If you want to incentivize people to prioritize an EV, then make it fair across the board. If you want to make it affordable, shrink the income caps substantially so it actually targets the people who need help and make it a larger subsidy.

Get high emissions clunkers off the road in exchange for EV’s
OK ...
The clunker is worth say $2k. How much will the Gov pitch in ?

---
As an aside, you might find the Obama era C4C program post-mortem interesting reading. The lion's share of the program went to the manufacturers, although there was a 'healthy' business of affluent people who bought clunkers sitting in people's yards for the trade-in value.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Get high emissions clunkers off the road in exchange for EV’s
So we are arguing for the same objective. I’m pointing out that either the income cap should lowered and a larger subsidy given if we are trying to help people “afford” an EV. If we broadly want to increase adoption and incentivize people, let’s let everyone at any income get it.

As it is written now, a household making 500k is eligible for the rebate. I’m arguing that for that person, and for most people the question is more about how we prioritize our money instead of an affordability calculation.

So we are arguing for the same objective. I’m pointing out that either the income cap should lowered and a larger subsidy given if we are trying to help people “afford” an EV. If we broadly want to increase adoption and incentivize people, let’s let everyone at any income get it.

As it is written now, a household making 500k is eligible for the rebate. I’m arguing that for that person, and for most people the question is more about how we prioritize our money instead of an affordability calculation.
I’d just rather see the money put where it’s needed most. If that means a family of modest means gets 15K toward a Model Y, ID4 or Q4 etron then so be it.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I’d just rather see the money put where it’s needed most. If that means a family of modest means gets 15K toward a Model Y, ID4 or Q4 etron then so be it.

So now you have a 'modest' family with a HHI of say $100k getting a $15k gov gift and and average income family getting nothing. That should gratify the class welfare folks.

So again, what is the exact cutoff for modest means? How do we judge who needs money to afford an EV?

More than your income for a set year, I would argue that your ability to afford something is more a culmination of how much financial discipline your exercised over the years. One family making 60k a year over 10 years vs another could be in vastly different financial positions to “afford” a 65k car at the end of 10 years.

Also this doesn’t factor in cost of living in certain urban areas. I think there are too many variables, although in an ideal world we could just help those who truly need it. Fairest way and the way to have the greatest impact to transition to EV in my view is to make it fair across the board.

Price limits on the cars are far more important than income limits. In most other countries that offer EV subsidies, the offers end as soon as the price crosses a threshold of around $40K. This prevents manufacturers from simply padding their $40K car prices up to $48K and eating the entire subsidy that was intended to help consumers and not raise profit margins.

Model 3's come from the US for most of Europe still I believe. Maybe that's changing. I think Y's for now have been coming from China.

I think both are mainly from China to Europe... 10 ships vs. 2 ships

"The Tesla Model Y that are currently being delivered in Europe are vehicles produced in Gigafactory Shanghai in China"

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Tesla has made it clear in the writing that you can only put a technical hold for 90 days or one delivery period.

People are just angry because Tesla hasn't enforced it til now. It causes a huge headache every quarter for those who do logistics and matching. I love how angry people pretend they'll be. Everyone has taken advantage of it, and is now angry over losing $250 and the 8-10K they could've saved just taking delivery. This is on the customer not Tesla. Have fun at a dealership!
Maybe I didn't read all the fine print, but I wasn't aware of the 90 day limit. I just called and asked and took what they gave me. I guess I don't feel like I am "saving" thousands of dollars just because they raised the price. I was trying to time my order with the legislation the whole time. Still don't get the animosity.

Price limits on the cars are far more important than income limits. In most other countries that offer EV subsidies, the offers end as soon as the price crosses a threshold of around $40K. This prevents manufacturers from simply padding their $40K car prices up to $48K and eating the entire subsidy that was intended to help consumers and not raise profit margins.
I’d almost prefer to see this but still like the idea of post deduction income caps.

So again, what is the exact cutoff for modest means? How do we judge who needs money to afford an EV?

More than your income for a set year, I would argue that your ability to afford something is more a culmination of how much financial discipline your exercised over the years. One family making 60k a year over 10 years vs another could be in vastly different financial positions to “afford” a 65k car at the end of 10 years.

Also this doesn’t factor in cost of living in certain urban areas. I think there are too many variables, although in an ideal world we could just help those who truly need it. Fairest way and the way to have the greatest impact to transition to EV in my view is to make it fair across the board.
I can certainly appreciate there will be differences between $100/150/200K HHI in Omaha and San Francisco which is why it should be post-deduction and adjusted based on place of residence reference COL.

I also like the idea of an open voucher system combined with a MSRP cap for those eligible that would curtail some of the voodoo math manufacturers and dealers would otherwise attempt. (Would go into cap cost reduction under a lease or down payment assistance on a purchase)

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911