Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla energy service neglect- 4 months without power generation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Opus BC fan

TSLA long since 2011
Supporting Member
Dec 9, 2012
At Large
I have a situation where multiple system failures have shut my leased system down for the last 4 months.
Issue #1 I had a panel damaged by a hailstorm. The "Tesla Certified" repair crew states they cannot communicate with anyone at Tesla who is willing to order the replacement.
Issue #2 The Aurora inverter has been progressively failing and ultimately died at the same time as the hailstorm. The "Tesla Certified" repair company says the inverter is toast and must be replaced. They are unable to get any callbacks from Tesla.
Issue #3 The Tesla app on my phone has me go through their diagnostic algorithm (which is turning it off and on again) every one of the multiple times I try to use it to actually talk to a real person.
Issue #4 The few times I have talked to someone, they ignore what I am telling them and ask me to turn it off and turn it back on again. I am then transferred to someone who asks me if I have turned it off and turn it back on again?! REPEAT. REPEAT. REPEAT.
Issue #5 In the last call I lost it and told them I wanted a real-life service technician to come out or get the replacement to my "Tesla Certified" technician. I was promised someone would call me. That was a week ago. I have canceled my order for Tesla panels on my new house until this is resolved.

This is abysmal customer service. If you check out my other posts you will see that I am a Tesla supporter and early adopter. This is not FUD or trolling.

Does anyone have contact information for a real person at Tesla Energy that can actually be helpful?!

Backchannel or PM would be greatly appreciated.

I also have had issues with my Solar system. Not really a Tesla thing, but a Solar thing.

It often takes some time for them to respond to issue, but with millions of Solar Panels generating $Millions of electricity, there will be times when they are not productive.

I wish Solar was perfect and that Tesla was more responsive, but reality is that nobody wants to do non paid service after the sale.

At least Tesla is still in business. Many Solar companies have gone out of business.

@Opus BC fan Sorry, just call the main energy number. Tesla doesn't appear to do work arounds. In my view, Musk companies just aren't resourced in customer service to be responsive. Regardless, the best path is to keep calling in.

I am sorry that you are having issues, but I do think it comes with a Musk company and that the best path is to realize that poor customer service is just where their world view is. Like not doing PR either.

All the best,

BG

• Informative
Reactions: Opus BC fan
I didn't see this post before I made a new one on basically the same issue. Just curious if you ever got your inverter replaced, or if you are still waiting? Maybe it's time for a lawsuit. Mine has been out since June, so you have 3 months on me and I don't want to be not generating power for 3+ more months.

I also have had issues with my Solar system. Not really a Tesla thing, but a Solar thing.

It often takes some time for them to respond to issue, but with millions of Solar Panels generating $Millions of electricity, there will be times when they are not productive.

I wish Solar was perfect and that Tesla was more responsive, but reality is that nobody wants to do non paid service after the sale.

At least Tesla is still in business. Many Solar companies have gone out of business.
Specifically most of those installers who you mention "nobody wants to do a non-paid service after the sale" went out of business.

Whereas other small solar companies literally spend almost $0 in marketing and all their referrals are word of mouth. For a company like that, there is value in continued customer contact. Customers who interact with such a solar company in a service call become its advocates, and share the good story with their friends. Another interaction a few years later leaves a good taste in their mouth, and they might think this is the company to install my battery backup system as well.

This does require a lot of overhead and well trained, responsive service people who can get in a truck and come see what the issue is. Major safety issues get immediate and even Sunday attention, whereas other minor issues are usually dealt with within 1-2 weeks depending on the severity. Service like this costs more upfront and not everyone is willing to pay for it.

Other customers do not see the value in paying more for the premium hardware and service, and instead look for Tesla who has a lower installed price than almost anyone. Those customers may end up spending more of their time and energy chasing down a solution, if something needs to be serviced down the road.

Everyone has to decide what this time and energy is worth to them.

Specifically most of those installers who you mention "nobody wants to do a non-paid service after the sale" went out of business.

Whereas other small solar companies literally spend almost $0 in marketing and all their referrals are word of mouth. For a company like that, there is value in continued customer contact. Customers who interact with such a solar company in a service call become its advocates, and share the good story with their friends. Another interaction a few years later leaves a good taste in their mouth, and they might think this is the company to install my battery backup system as well.

This does require a lot of overhead and well trained, responsive service people who can get in a truck and come see what the issue is. Major safety issues get immediate and even Sunday attention, whereas other minor issues are usually dealt with within 1-2 weeks depending on the severity. Service like this costs more upfront and not everyone is willing to pay for it.

Other customers do not see the value in paying more for the premium hardware and service, and instead look for Tesla who has a lower installed price than almost anyone. Those customers may end up spending more of their time and energy chasing down a solution, if something needs to be serviced down the road.

Everyone has to decide what this time and energy is worth to them.
So many thing they can get something for nothing

I have a situation where multiple system failures have shut my leased system down for the last 4 months.
Issue #1 I had a panel damaged by a hailstorm. The "Tesla Certified" repair crew states they cannot communicate with anyone at Tesla who is willing to order the replacement.
Issue #2 The Aurora inverter has been progressively failing and ultimately died at the same time as the hailstorm. The "Tesla Certified" repair company says the inverter is toast and must be replaced. They are unable to get any callbacks from Tesla.
Issue #3 The Tesla app on my phone has me go through their diagnostic algorithm (which is turning it off and on again) every one of the multiple times I try to use it to actually talk to a real person.
Issue #4 The few times I have talked to someone, they ignore what I am telling them and ask me to turn it off and turn it back on again. I am then transferred to someone who asks me if I have turned it off and turn it back on again?! REPEAT. REPEAT. REPEAT.
Issue #5 In the last call I lost it and told them I wanted a real-life service technician to come out or get the replacement to my "Tesla Certified" technician. I was promised someone would call me. That was a week ago. I have canceled my order for Tesla panels on my new house until this is resolved.

This is abysmal customer service. If you check out my other posts you will see that I am a Tesla supporter and early adopter. This is not FUD or trolling.

Does anyone have contact information for a real person at Tesla Energy that can actually be helpful?!

Backchannel or PM would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for your frustration, but I don't quite understand. This is a lease system from Tesla? I am not sure what you can do but stay persistent with your contacts and keep elevating this issue, including tweeting Elon.

Sucks that you're getting the short end of this stick, but if the system stopped working are you allowed to stop paying for it? Seems fair to me, but legally I am sure a hassle. All I know about leases is to stay away from them.

I agree that there are some holes in the Tesla Energy service experience despite having a 12" x 60" TESLA sign on my wall and being a huge fan of the technology and mission. I work in the industry and would not have Tesla Energy install my system because I am installing it myself.

California Civil Code Section 1793.2(b) may give you some recourse. Customers don't need a clearly spelled out SLA for timely warranty work in California. Rather, installers in California have a legal-requirement to provide reasonable warranty service and to have service centers available. They are supposed to complete warranty repair within 30 days; with provisions for unforeseen circumstances.

If they don't adhere to this, you could attempt to recover damages... although that could require you to speak with a lawyer.

You can also submit a claim against Tesla's California license (the License number will be on your contract). The supporting material you can attach to your claim against with the license board is that Tesla is willfully violating 1793.2 and are not honoring warranty commitments (or even responding to warranty requests). Since Tesla continues to install new systems, it would be difficult for them to say that unforeseen circumstances (such as a supply chain issue or COVID) are preventing them from honoring their warranty.

Here's the link so you can read up.

"service and repair shall be commenced within a reasonable time by the manufacturer or its representative in this state. Unless the buyer agrees in writing to the contrary, the goods shall be serviced or repaired so as to conform to the applicable warranties within 30 days."

If you're not in California, you'll have to research if you have similar state protections in effect.

Mandatory disclaimer... I am not a lawyer and I have an infatuation with bollards and blade disconnects.

• Informative
Reactions: Vines
California Civil Code Section 1793.2(b) may give you some recourse. Customers don't need a clearly spelled out SLA for timely warranty work in California. Rather, installers in California have a legal-requirement to provide reasonable warranty service and to have service centers available. They are supposed to complete warranty repair within 30 days; with provisions for unforeseen circumstances.

If they don't adhere to this, you could attempt to recover damages... although that could require you to speak with a lawyer.

You can also submit a claim against Tesla's California license (the License number will be on your contract). The supporting material you can attach to your claim against with the license board is that Tesla is willfully violating 1793.2 and are not honoring warranty commitments (or even responding to warranty requests). Since Tesla continues to install new systems, it would be difficult for them to say that unforeseen circumstances (such as a supply chain issue or COVID) are preventing them from honoring their warranty.

Here's the link so you can read up.

"service and repair shall be commenced within a reasonable time by the manufacturer or its representative in this state. Unless the buyer agrees in writing to the contrary, the goods shall be serviced or repaired so as to conform to the applicable warranties within 30 days."

If you're not in California, you'll have to research if you have similar state protections in effect.

Mandatory disclaimer... I am not a lawyer and I have an infatuation with bollards and blade disconnects.
I wonder how a leased PV system is different since part of that link made mentioned that cars under lease were under the same law, but I didn't see anything about other types of leases. That law is specifically for sold goods.

Reactions: BGbreeder
I didn't see this post before I made a new one on basically the same issue. Just curious if you ever got your inverter replaced, or if you are still waiting? Maybe it's time for a lawsuit. Mine has been out since June, so you have 3 months on me and I don't want to be not generating power for 3+ more months.
I ended up selling my house and the new buyer assumed the "lease" (which I had already paid off). I do not know if the inverter was replaced. At the time of its sale, Tesla was promising to repair the system within a few months.

I wonder how a leased PV system is different since part of that link made mentioned that cars under lease were under the same law, but I didn't see anything about other types of leases. That law is specifically for sold goods.

Yeah most interpretations of the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) include the sale, lease, and distribution of goods together under one umbrella. This is usually just shorted to "sale", so all other forms of transaction should be covered even if language simply states "sale." That's why leasing a BMW should result in the same standard of repair/warranty as buying the same BMW.

But then again, I could see some company getting cute and saying "it's a lease not a sale so neener neener". Which is annoying if you're a homeowner who has a broken system. I think the worst situation for Tesla Energy customers is that Tesla will say "neener neener" to the customer and people online will say "neener neener" to the same customer. Kind of funny/sad... but you know Tesla customers are super loyal to the brand so they don't care amirite?

Also an interesting thing... Tesla Energy seems to be the only wide-scale solar company that offers leases/PPA that does not guarantee for lost production if something breaks. Looking at some of the old contracts for Petersen Dean that were available for review during their bankruptcy and reviewing my own Sunrun contract, those PPAs typically come with an express production guarantee. But TMC users who went with Tesla Energy usually report that Tesla offers no such guarantee.

The reason I think this guarantee matters is that guaranteeing the production could be a way to provide an extension to the normal 30 day warranty repair window on a lease (in California). Since the homeowner is indifferent to the outcome. If Sunrun can get a broken system repaired faster, then that's good. But if the leased system, which is technically Sunrun's property, is not repaired within 30 days... then the homeowner has a claim for any lost production value. For an owned system, Sunrun only has one option in California; which is to get the system working with 30 days. But Sunrun has no obligation to pay the homeowner for the lost production during those 30 days.

Last edited: