Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla.com - "Transitioning to Tesla Vision"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea. So post more examples of how every competitor has autosteer and other multiple features. Show us something Ford, GMC, Kia, Toyota, ect that is in the same price point as the Y.

They may be big words for you but many competitors means more than one, sweetie.

the Mach E California edition with 305 miles EPA and BlueCruise included runs $50k before destination fees but also before the full tax rebate.
Obviously the Model Y has AWD and better acceleration / faster charging.... but BlueCruise and 305 miles EPA (which is conservatively rated on the Mach E) is nothing to sneeze at

Reactions: Darblish
Yea. So post more examples of how every competitor has autosteer and other multiple features. Show us something Ford, GMC, Kia, Toyota, ect that is in the same price point as the Y.

They may be big words for you but many competitors means more than one, sweetie.
Sure, if you don’t want to refer back to my post where I already mentioned the competing systems: ProPilot (Nissan), Copilot (Ford), and Highway Driving Assist (Kia/Hyundai) cover the ones I was comparing. With the exception of the Ford, those were all ~$15-20k cheaper than the LR Model Y.

I didn’t test drive the other brands you mentioned, but a quick Googling shows that Toyota’s is called Safety Sense, and GMC’s has the catchy name of Lane Keep Assist.

Tesla absolutely has the advantage in things like Full Self Driving (both in the beta version we see now, and once it’s a for-real autonomous system). But let’s not pretend that base autopilot — which is being limited in the early-release no-radar vehicles — is some revolutionary Tesla-only feature anymore.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Sure, if you don’t want to refer back to my post where I already mentioned the competing systems: ProPilot (Nissan), Copilot (Ford), and Highway Driving Assist (Kia/Hyundai) cover the ones I was comparing. With the exception of the Ford, those were all ~$15-20k cheaper than the LR Model Y.

I didn’t test drive the other brands you mentioned, but a quick Googling shows that Toyota’s is called Safety Sense, and GMC’s has the catchy name of Lane Keep Assist.

Tesla absolutely has the advantage in things like Full Self Driving (both in the beta version we see now, and once it’s a for-real autonomous system). But let’s not pretend that base autopilot — which is being limited in the early-release no-radar vehicles — is some revolutionary Tesla-only feature anymore.
Ugh, I had a chance to try Toyota's lane keep assist feature about a year ago. It's pretty awful. The car was just endlessly bouncing between the two lane markers, not nicely staying in the middle. I'm not sure if they fixed it since then.

Ugh, I had a chance to try Toyota's lane keep assist feature about a year ago. It's pretty awful. The car was just endlessly bouncing between the two lane markers, not nicely staying in the middle. I'm not sure if they fixed it since then.
I drive with the Nissan one quite a bit, and I agree that (based on my couple of hours with an overnight MY test drive) Tesla’s does a better job keeping in the center. The Nissan bounces a little on exit lanes when it can’t decide which line to follow, but it also resumes auto-steering after a lane change without needing to be told, so there’s not a ton of difference to me.

I’m honestly not sure why failing to gush about how loss of functionality is a brilliant move strikes a nerve with some people here. I’m comparing features of a car I plan to buy; I’m not purchasing my entire personality for the next 6-8 years. I had a 2017 Sorento for 3 years, and there were things about it that drove me nuts and were completely valid to complain about. It was still a great car, and had there not been a pandemic I might have bought out the lease last year and kept it. I expect things to be the same with the Tesla: there will be things that annoy me and I still think I will enjoy the car. It’s rare, though, that we get to learn about an “upcoming” frustration with a car, before it actually comes to fruition.

Reactions: gearchruncher

That's what Honda's lane keep assist is like as well. Loosely bounces around kind of vaguely attempting to stay between the lines. Not in the same league in my opinion.

Reactions: powertoold

OMG I just rented a Camry last week and YES, analogy I gave my wife was being a bowling ball while bumper bowling.

Tesla feels more like the F-Zero cars getting locked in by the magnet side rail.

fz34.png

Reactions: powertoold
From the sound of things, FSD v9 is Pure Vision right? If so, then this has been planned for a while.
It's hard to square "planned for a while" with Elon tweeting that everyone would get the v8 button in 10 days back in March, to no button because complete architectural changes in V9 that are vision only and make release of v8 pointless in April, to boom, vision only for everyone but no v9 FSD in sight even for beta testers, and some features removed from base AP.

Seems like at the very minimum, the "planned for a while" path would include not having to tell future buyers they will have a reduced feature set, and having FSD v9 released to beta testers before they pulled the hardware from the car.

My first response was, “Oh no, what about inclement weather when I can’t see very far ahead?” But then this tweet reminded me that in downpours my MS couldn’t see the lane markers either. In those situations I had to give up using autopilot.

the Mach E California edition with 305 miles EPA and BlueCruise included runs $50k before destination fees but also before the full tax rebate.
Obviously the Model Y has AWD and better acceleration / faster charging.... but BlueCruise and 305 miles EPA (which is conservatively rated on the Mach E) is nothing to sneeze at

can you use blue cruise on any road with a marking like Tesla autopilot?

• Disagree
Reactions: Demonofelru
in downpours my MS couldn’t see the lane markers either. In those situations I had to give up using autopilot.
Two things:
If you could keep driving, then a human can drive in this situation. Autopilot is supposedly "superhuman" in performance. That isn't true if it has to give up in rain that you can easily drive in. This means it can never be L3+ since rain can happen anytime.
This is why the newer builds force autowipers to high and auto high beams when on AP.

can you use blue cruise on any road with a marking like Tesla autopilot?

Autopilot is not supposed to be used outside of highways. Most accidents we see in the news are from people messing with autopilot on surface streets. So I don't think it matters if you can use blue cruise on any road, autopilot is also not designed for use off freeways

It's hard to square "planned for a while" with Elon tweeting that everyone would get the v8 button in 10 days back in March, to no button because complete architectural changes in V9 that are vision only and make release of v8 pointless in April, to boom, vision only for everyone but no v9 FSD in sight even for beta testers, and some features removed from base AP.

Seems like at the very minimum, the "planned for a while" path would include not having to tell future buyers they will have a reduced feature set, and having FSD v9 released to beta testers before they pulled the hardware from the car.
Completely agreed. Also, I am one of these buyers with a reduced feature set.

Not too sure how to feel about it, really. At this point, leaning toward trusting that the FSD developers will continue to do great work with this and limited features will be temporary. It's either that or cancel the order and buy a different car.

My first response was, “Oh no, what about inclement weather when I can’t see very far ahead?” But then this tweet reminded me that in downpours my MS couldn’t see the lane markers either. In those situations I had to give up using autopilot.

Recently took a road trip from Ohio to Bozeman, MT. Granted, I've never driven these roads and I'm on day 2 of a very long drive (950 miles the first day). Second day east of Bozeman on I-90, it's dark, very windy, and raining hard. Almost no other traffic as I was hoping I could follow someone else easier. Speed limit was 75 MPH and I'm dong 45 MPH. Apparently Montana doesn't spend a whole lot of freeway maintenance as there were no reflectors in the road and the painted lane lines/fog lines were very well worn - by the time I could see them, which was sporadic at best, it was too late to maneuver. It was one of those death grip, don't dare look away from the road situations. HUD would have been nice! ;)

NOA was long disabled due to the rain, but the lane-keeping/speed control was still engaged. Essentially the car was doing a better job at driving that stretch of road than I was - it worked well considering the environment. All I could see was the middle guard-rail and dark trees off the right side. If I had been manually driving, I could keep it somewhere on the freeway but it was impossible to maintain my lane. Finally a VW driving just slightly faster than me passed and I trailed him at a safe distance.

But like I said, I was pretty worn myself at that point so maybe it was just me. But it was a lot easier monitoring/maintaining the car using only the cruise control than I could have done alone. Believe me, I'm not a big Elon fan by any means and NOA was long disabled - but the cruise kept me going. Need to give credit where it's due.

Generally speaking, NOA will die when there is a small amount of rain but the cruise itself consistently works much better in heavy rain than I thought it could.

Reactions: rxlawdude