Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla building generative AI models and starting Dojo production next month!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Tesla is also building generative AI models like GAIA-1 that Wayve demo'ed recently:

And it looks like Dojo production will start next month with an estimated 100 exa-flops by Oct 2024:

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2023.06.25-23_52_33.png

Can someone explain how this impacts the average Tesla owner? Does it give us better autopilot? More included/free safety features? More accurate Tesla Vision parking assist? Lower vehicle prices? Whiter teeth? Solve world hunger? Thanks

Edit: typo.

It won't have any impact now. But it should allow Tesla to solve AI problems faster and therefore help Tesla develop better AP/FSD. In the most optimistic scenario, it could allow Tesla to achieve L5 autonomy. In a more pessimistic scenario, it does nothing. But realistically, it should still allow Tesla to deploy more reliable supervised FSD everywhere. In any case, we should see better AP/FSD in the years to come.

It won't have any impact now. But it should allow Tesla to solve AI problems faster and therefore help Tesla develop better AP/FSD. In the most optimistic scenario, it could allow Tesla to achieve L5 autonomy. In a more pessimistic scenario, it does nothing. But realistically, it should still allow Tesla to deploy more reliable supervised FSD everywhere. In any case, we should see better AP/FSD in the years to come.
I like the sound of that. Go Dojo!

Can someone explain how this impacts the average Tesla owner? Does it give us better autopilot? More included/free safety features? More accurate Tesla Vision parking assist? Lower vehicle prices? Whiter teeth? Solve world hunger? Thanks
TL;DR: FSD development that would have taken ten years could now take one year or even one month.

First, it indicates Tesla does not believe the current rate of FSD improvement is exponential. The planned, hoped-for, Dojo improvements would increase the back-end compute power by a factor of one hundred. It could increase the rate of FSD improvement by a factor of one hundred which would be huge! Most likely they would hit some other bottleneck before getting a full 100x improvement in development speed.

Second, having worked with computer systems for quite some time, I would be extremely surprised if Tesla were able to pull this off. My rough guess is they will get a factor of ten improvement in that time span. This would still be a huge improvement.

Tesla can always solve AI problems faster by buying more NVIDIA A100s for $10000/pop.
I agree with you in principle. Nvidia may well outpace Tesla in hardware innovation. One challenge Tesla faces is the time it takes them (years) to implement their design.

OTOH, Tesla's current (2022) system already uses over 10 thousand A100s. To increase the power by a factor of one hundred they would need to buy a million more for $10B. These might not be available and Tesla might not be able to afford them.

I agree with you in principle. Nvidia may well outpace Tesla in hardware innovation. One challenge Tesla faces is the time it takes them (years) to implement their design.

OTOH, Tesla's current (2022) system already uses over 10 thousand A100s. To increase the power by a factor of one hundred they would need to buy a million more for $10B. These might not be available and Tesla might not be able to afford them.
NVidias dominance is not due to a chip. It's the whole eco-system (hw/sw/interconnects and networking). I doubt Tesla will get Dojo to scale in a meaningful way any time soon. I've said this since the dojo announcement, and i still believe it to hold true.

Elon downplayed Dojo recently in the earnings call, calling it a long shot, so until proven wrong, i think this is more of a "come work for us"-commercial than something based in reality.

What I like to know what data are they importing into Dojo. I have a certain traffic intersection that is even a bear for me to navigate at certain times of the day. Now can I upload the video of FSD trying to navigate this intersection and fail to Dojo? They would have to vacuum up all the video from all our cars and input that to Dojo. As the video by the guy who explained FSD "badly" they claim there are 15 million miles traveled with FSD. Estimating 400000 cars with via if you do the division it's a paltry amount of miles per car

What I like to know what data are they importing into Dojo. I have a certain traffic intersection that is even a bear for me to navigate at certain times of the day. Now can I upload the video of FSD trying to navigate this intersection and fail to Dojo? They would have to vacuum up all the video from all our cars and input that to Dojo. As the video by the guy who explained FSD "badly" they claim there are 15 million miles traveled with FSD. Estimating 400000 cars with via if you do the division it's a paltry amount of miles per car
They don't need the video - that's for humans to consume and decide if your scenario should be trained on. If yes, they take the telemetry, including the ON, map/gps data, speed, etc. and place that in the simulation. They watch how FSD Beta handles the maneuver, and train based on the results.

They don't need the video - that's for humans to consume and decide if your scenario should be trained on. If yes, they take the telemetry, including the ON, map/gps data, speed, etc. and place that in the simulation. They watch how FSD Beta handles the maneuver, and train based on the results.
I don't see an upload video button for effed up FSD driving. Didn't they take that away some # releases ago?

15 million miles total? With 400,000 cars, FSDb should be adding over 15 million miles every week. The latest video I saw, Ashok claimed 250 million miles.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
A single car going through a single intersection is not much help to them. James Douma has explained how Tesla uses video from the cars. The engineers ask for video for a particular situation then all the cars from the fleet that encounter that situation upload the video. He alludes to this in a recent interview he did with Farzad Mesbahi:

The more data you have, the faster you get the data you need [...] The bigger the fleet gets the shorter the time between the engineers say "I need this" and they have it.
Also, in a recent video, Dirty Tesla said the audio feedback button seems to do nothing useful.

I've gotten that. How does an audio report get fed into an AI computer or does video go up too?

I think the audio report along with data at the time of the disengagement get uploaded to a Tesla server. I don't know what kind of data. It could be a short video clip but probably also data like vehicle position, lateral and longitudinal speed, acceleration etc...

Reactions: kriskros91