Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TBC Completely F*&^ed Up Today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time-Based Control has worked pretty well for me for the last few months. The AI is next to useless but with adjusting my settings as required I have been able to get a pretty good outcome and have saved a lot of money.

Today, however, it completely screwed up and there's no logic at all to what it did.

I found that generally that during:
Off-peak: Charge the Powerwall and the house from the only the grid (I have only set Off-peak at night with no solar).
Shoulder: House will be powered from both Powerwall and Grid. The ratio seems to change so I don't know how it decides. It doesn't charge the battery*
Peak: it will not use the grid at all, unless the Powerwall is at or below the reserve. House powered from battery/solar

* If I don't set an Off-peak period but still have the Shoulder, the Shoulder period seems to work like the Off-peak.

For the last 2 days I've had it set to:
Off-peak: 00:00-01:00
Peak: 01:00-00:00
to just add a little to the battery overnight. The days before I've had variations on that with the peak being 30 to 90 minutes long. That's all I need at this time of year.

This Thursday and how it should and has been working:
IMG_8375.jpeg
IMG_8376.jpeg

Now, I made no changes between Thursday and Friday but this is what it did this morning:
IMG_8377.jpeg
IMG_8378.jpeg

What this now means is my Powerwall is likely to get to 100% and start sending excess solar to the grid. I only get $0.05/kWh but paid between $0.10 and $0.20 per kWh for the power it took from the grid that it shouldn't have. Now, this will only be a couple of dollars but it still should not have done it.

I have switched back to Self-powered for the moment.