Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sweet Spot for Replacing Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I'll have to do more experimenting and maybe post a video showing it inches from the side with no beeps.

I wonder if the color is important. The side of the door is dark brown. I'm considering taping some white paper there to see if that makes a difference.
If it were me, I'd put an orange vertical stripe on the door / frame. On the road when my FSD sees anything remotely orange and a few feet tall, it declares it to be (i.e., renders it on the screen as) a traffic cone.

My sweet spot for replacing my Model 3 is when I hit a deer and total it :D. I drive half of my commute at night and sometimes there are deer around.

Mine was made in March 2018 and has 119,243 miles on the odometer. I am currently driving about 35k miles per year. I have an early reservation for the Cybertruck, but I don't think I will get it yet until my Model 3 dies.
Totaling our leaf via deer is why we ordered a 3.

This varies wildly by the car, the market, and your personal preference.

It's not always more cost efficient to run a car into the ground. I calculate how much I spend on my cars and look at it in terms of $/mi. I had one car (Prius HEV) I kept for 10yrs and put ~100k on it. Ended up costing me ~$0.33/mi when you include depreciation, maintenance, repairs, etc...

Another car (Prius PHEV) I kept for 4yrs only cost me $0.22/mi because it didn't depreciate (literally sold it for what i paid for it 4 years earlier) and had 0 repairs.

My general rule of thumb was if you're not going to have a car longer than 5yrs, you should lease it, but that Prius Prime broke the mold due to high demand, low inventory, and being in the right price bracket for a lot of people (~$24k).

I think there are TONS of model 3s out there so that's not likely to happen and you might be better off keeping it until it makes financial sense which is highly subjective.

Sadly, I expect my Tesla to cost way more per mile in the long run because of depreciation (the main factor), so I'll likely keep it until the value starts to level off... I'm guessing 8yrs or so, but who knows...

Reactions: Darmie
Most of the Google searches are leaning towards sell. Sell a car before it's old. Some are saying before it hits 60,000 miles. Before next major service, before repair cost are killing your budget. I think a Tesla is in a much different league. Mileage for the most part is not a factor. There is no major service. I think if it still brings joy, roll with it.