Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sweet Spot for Replacing Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the past we've always kept our cars for a long time (that is, run them into the ground). Now, we can afford to replace them much sooner.

Nick (see sig) is at 70K miles now, and still feels like new (though not as new as Tessie), but I'm starting to think about at what mileage we might replace him. Is there a mileage at which problems become more frequent?

Other factors:
  • Nick has FSD (which we got for $6,000)
  • The closest Tesla service center is 5 hours away
  • We treat the car well, rarely drive over 68 MPH
  • Climate is very temperate here (usually 60 degrees, even in the summer, never cold)
  • We would definitely get another Model 3 (S not sporty enough and wider than 3)
  • Nick has had very few problems (control arms, charge port, rear camera cable, broken roof glass)

Reactions: zoomer0056 and GSP
Ditto; buy cars to essentially run them into the ground. Only exception was recently; sold my ‘14 Fiesta cause (1) not a car wife and I want the kids to drive (not exactly the safest car to be in), and (2) resale values are stupid. So, sold a perfectly good, low mileage car and put the money towards her ‘23 3. Hard to pass up the fed/state deals too.

My ‘20 Performance only has 8.6k miles so not exactly the same boat. At 70k, Nick’s bumper to bumper warranty is gone. But, the 8 year/120k DU/battery warranty is still in place. Nothing about a newer 3 compels me to upgrade my car so my thought on parts failures would be ‘is there anything that’ll cost more than the difference between selling the current car for a new car (minimum is probably $10k difference) that’ll fail in the next 4 years/50k miles.’ Since the DU and battery is covered, probably not.

Since a service center is ~5hrs away, how were the issues repaired?

Reactions: DocHolliday
In the past we've always kept our cars for a long time (that is, run them into the ground). Now, we can afford to replace them much sooner.

Nick (see sig) is at 70K miles now, and still feels like new (though not as new as Tessie), but I'm starting to think about at what mileage we might replace him. Is there a mileage at which problems become more frequent?

Other factors:
  • Nick has FSD (which we got for $6,000)
  • The closest Tesla service center is 5 hours away
  • Climate is very temperate here (usually 60 degrees, even in the summer, never cold)
  • We would definitely get another Model 3 (S not sporty enough and wider than 3)
  • Nick has had very few problems (control arms, charge port, rear camera cable, broken roof glass)
No reason to replace unless there are new features or capabilities you must have from a newer model or you’re concerned about an aging battery. The Model 3 has been largely unchanged since introduction so you won’t be gaining much and would actually be losing features (eg USS).

Your car should still be within the HV battery warranty so if there is no need to replace the car otherwise, I would keep it at least until closer to battery warranty expiration. EVs in general should last a lot longer than ICE mechanically. The weak spot in terms of longevity is the battery.

Good advice, thanks. 120K miles sounds like a good option.

Since a service center is ~5hrs away, how were the issues repaired?
When we got a small chip in the top glass, we drove to the service center (Chico), had it replaced, and continued on to another destination (SC was on the way).

To have the control arms fixed we drove to the SC and had the work done (and other things like replace 12 V, cabin filters, replace UMC). Spent the night at a hotel and drove home.

To have the charge port replaced, we drove a few hours to a place where a mobile tech met us (mobile service area didn't include our house).

To have the trunk lid harness replaced, we had mobile service come to our house (service area changed to include our house).

Reactions: GSP
Mileage use to be a factor. It use to be 100,000 miles were a lot however I've seen my share of Toyotas and Ford Taurus well over 200K. There are many articles on high mileage Tesla. Here is one.

I have a 2020 model Y with right about 76,000. My concern would be battery replacement when or if the time would come. Currently there are a few aftermarket shops that offer HV support for the S/X but I don't see much on the 3/Y. When Sandy was tearing apart a structural battery, things didn't look promising. Hoping the 2020 models are easier to replace.

No reason to replace unless there are new features or capabilities you must have from a newer model or you’re concerned about an aging battery. The Model 3 has been largely unchanged since introduction so you won’t be gaining much and would actually be losing features (eg USS).

Your car should still be within the HV battery warranty so if there is no need to replace the car otherwise, I would keep it at least until closer to battery warranty expiration. EVs in general should last a lot longer than ICE mechanically. The weak spot in terms of longevity is the battery.

I think the 2021 and newer come with heat pump, while older had antient coil heating?

Ideally the battery just fades away slowly and you have to put up with less and less range until it no longer meets your needs. But there is the risk that something goes wrong and you need a replacement battery. That would be about the only reason I'd regret keeping the car, since the cost is so high that the value of replacing it would be questionable for an older car with a bit of wear.

Replacing a drive unit is also a concern, but I think there would be a better value in making that repair.

I'm planning on keeping our two Teslas until we can't stand them any more.

Reactions: DocHolliday
both of my 2023 M3P and MYP beep like crazy, and show semi trucks when pulling into garage :)
Interesting. I'll have to do more experimenting and maybe post a video showing it inches from the side with no beeps.

I wonder if the color is important. The side of the door is dark brown. I'm considering taping some white paper there to see if that makes a difference.

My sweet spot for replacing my Model 3 is when I hit a deer and total it :D. I drive half of my commute at night and sometimes there are deer around.

Mine was made in March 2018 and has 119,243 miles on the odometer. I am currently driving about 35k miles per year. I have an early reservation for the Cybertruck, but I don't think I will get it yet until my Model 3 dies.

OK.
Feel free to keep it until the earliest of the following events crosses your path:
  1. You get bored with the current car, and find something new you desire to pilot more than the old car.
  2. You run out of bumper-2-bumper (4 year /50K miles) or battery (8 years / 100K miles) warranty.
  3. Your particular car starts requiring more service visits than you care to contemplate. This is a very much case-by-case type of a consideration, but with a 5-hour SC distance, this would be a major variable.
  4. See #1.
This is a shame.
Go signup for a performance driving school and learn to drive the car properly:

a