Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swap Out Driver and Passenger Seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, a huge thank you for all the help so far on various questions I have had as I am getting ready to have my vehicle delivered. It is a Model S P100D 8/2016 production date. I am wondering if the service center is able to put the newest seats into my car and replace the driver and passenger seat. I also am wondering if any of you have done that and what the cost was!

First Gen to Recaro(what you probably have now) was pretty simple. It was mechanically and electrically compatible.

From Recaro to the newest stuff isn't quite as simple. There's a thread about it here somewhere if you look. I think the problem was while it was mechanically compatible there's some new functionality that won't work in your car.

Used Recaro seats were around $1100 a pair or so last time I checked. I'm guessing the newest seats are pricier. I imagine since it's part of the SRS then Tesla is going to charge you an arm and a leg to swap them out.

First Gen to Recaro(what you probably have now) was pretty simple. It was mechanically and electrically compatible.

From Recaro to the newest stuff isn't quite as simple. There's a thread about it here somewhere if you look. I think the problem was while it was mechanically compatible there's some new functionality that won't work in your car.

Used Recaro seats were around $1100 a pair or so last time I checked. I'm guessing the newest seats are pricier. I imagine since it's part of the SRS then Tesla is going to charge you an arm and a leg to swap them out.
Ahhh gotcha! Thanks!!

What's your objectives in changing out the seats?
I've modified a lot of Tesla seats now.
A few things, because it was used as a fleet vehicle for about four years the front seats are somewhat worn. Also, the cooling in them is non-existent even though my version is supposed to have it. I was thinking a general upgrade in the front two would be a nice thing to do down the road. At almost 100k miles Eleanor was used quite heavily before my purchase haha.

Yes, I'd think most 2016 seats are a bit worn and broken in by now in 2023.
It would be much simpler to find that generation seat in great shape and swap same for same.
What color is your seat? You stated it was ventilated.
I don't know why the venting isn't as good. Possibly as the foam breaks down it crushes the spaces where the air used to go through. Also it's possible the fan isn't working anymore.
There was a major refresh at the end of 2016. Do you have the pre refresh style seat or the post refresh that was in the 2017-2020 ? August build date is right on the cusp!
I can tell by looking at the shape and design.
Newer model seats after the refresh are very different in size, shape and design. If you are "lucky" you have the 2017 style and you could more readily buy a seat in better condition. You'd have great challenges swapping outside your generation.

So my car is one of the first P100Ds so it has black premium seats with adjustable headrests and heated/cooled seats! I took a screenshot of specs page and a pic of the seats to help you identify!
20230921_142937.jpg
Screenshot_20230921_143220_Tesla.jpg

That looks like what I consider the 2017 - 2020 seat. There's an older seat than yours.
That's possibly "good news" for a replacement seat. I think that you have the same metal seat base as the Model 3 / Y.
The difference with your seat is that you have metal bars attached to the outside of the metal seat base to provide support for more firm and taller wings/bolsters.
You should be able to purchase any used 2017-2020 Model S seat. I deal mostly with Ebay.
Since you want it in better condition, you can try to be selective. Get a car the seat came from with lower mileage and closer to 2020. Look closely at the pictures of the seat for match.
I'm surprised your seats aren't holding up with 95K miles. Perhaps the time and heat also did a number on the foam.
If all you are trying to do is get a newer seat and you don't have pain, then a direct swap should work. Look carefully at the connectors before purchase to match them.
If you do have pain you can modify the seat some, like I have done.

The Service Center cannot upgrade your seat to a newer year because they aren't built the same. To the best of my knowledge you'd have to stay within your generation.

BTW, that car should be eligible for the hardware and camera upgrades for FSD and might be free. Contact the Service Center to see if it is eligible.

That's all to the best of my knowledge.
Let me know if you need more help or have additional questions..

Others can chime in if they think I'm mistaken about anything.

I can be reached and found in my home town by a search of my full name.
I also run a martial arts school called SystemaCrystalRiver.com

Sincerely,
George Borrelli

Last edited:
That looks like what I consider the 2017 - 2020 seat. There's an older seat than yours.
That's possibly "good news" for a replacement seat. I think that you have the same metal seat base as the Model 3 / Y.
The difference with your seat is that you have metal bars attached to the outside of the metal seat base to provide support for more firm and taller wings/bolsters.
You should be able to purchase any used 2017-2020 Model S seat. I deal mostly with Ebay.
Since you want it in better condition, you can try to be selective. Get a car the seat came from with lower mileage and closer to 2020. Look closely at the pictures of the seat for match.
I'm surprised your seats aren't holding up with 95K miles. Perhaps the time and heat also did a number on the foam.
If all you are trying to do is get a newer seat and you don't have pain, then a direct swap should work. Look carefully at the connectors before purchase to match them.
If you do have pain you can modify the seat some, like I have done.

The Service Center cannot upgrade your seat to a newer year because they aren't built the same. To the best of my knowledge you'd have to stay within your generation.

BTW, that car should be eligible for the hardware and camera upgrades for FSD and might be free. Contact the Service Center to see if it is eligible.

That's all to the best of my knowledge.
Let me know if you need more help or have additional questions..

Others can chime in if they think I'm mistaken about anything.

I can be reached and found in my home town by a search of my full name.
I also run a martial arts school called SystemaCrystalRiver.com

Sincerely,
George Borrelli
Thank you so much George! I appreciate all of the detailed information so much! I believe mine is what would be considered '17 seats even though it is technically an end of year 16 build. Unfortunately, I missed the HW for FSD by about two months. It wasn't until October that they started putting in the right HW for full self driving. As an end of Aug. build I will forever be without that. I am okay though---I love using every ounce of power and acceleration my P100D has haha. I am very fortunate in that mine has FUSC though so I take full advantage of that haha.