Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging with recent pre-owned 2017 MX purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys! I bought a 2017 (May 2017) Model X 90D pre-owned from 3rd party dealer here in the Houston, TX area a couple weeks ago. I am still unable to get the Transfer Of Ownership done through Tesla because I have to wait for my permanent license plates/registration to get processed by the state. This means my car is not linked to my Tesla account. Chatting with Tesla Support, I have been told that I am unable to use a supercharger until I get the Transfer of Ownership processed. With an upcoming road trip this weekend, any guidance?? Are there any third party chargers (Chargepoint, EVGo, etc.) that can offer charging speeds comparable to a Tesla Supercharger??

Thank you in advance!

@redgt Appreciate the response! I have yet to try supercharging as the local superchargers are out of the way of my typical commute. The road trip is roughly 165 miles from home to destination, but Tesla's trip planner is suggesting a supercharger stop for 15 minutes at roughly halfway point. While I have ordered a 14-30 extension cord to use with a dryer outlet, adapter for mobile connector, I have yet to purchase a chademo adapter. Is this faster charging than the J1772? Thank you again!

You could just use a J1772 Level 2 (I believe that is what they call them) since it only states you need 15 minutes. That would be about an hour on a level 2 J1772. Plan lunchtime around it.

What about the return trip? Can you charge at your destination?

BTW, Chademo is hella faster than J1772 but quite pricey to purchase.and some of the companies that own them charge an arm and a leg (at least down here in SoCal) to use them. I don't own one because I see no reason. My decision might be location based..... :)

@Sandollars I plan to use a dryer outlet at my destination. I ordered both "gen 1" AND a "gen 2" 14-30 adapters from Tesla and a 14-30 extension cord. Wasn't sure if my 2017 model x used gen 1 or gen 2 so thought i would make sure i was covered!

Surely Gen 2 unless the previous owner kept it. Good call on being safe though.

If it's the Model X in your Avatar, it's a Beauty! I especially like the color (wink) :)

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
@redgt Appreciate the response! I have yet to try supercharging as the local superchargers are out of the way of my typical commute. The road trip is roughly 165 miles from home to destination, but Tesla's trip planner is suggesting a supercharger stop for 15 minutes at roughly halfway point. While I have ordered a 14-30 extension cord to use with a dryer outlet, adapter for mobile connector, I have yet to purchase a chademo adapter. Is this faster charging than the J1772? Thank you again!
It sounds like you have a plan. The best thing to do when road tripping in a Tesla is to have a Plan A, B and C.

If you are not familiar with Plugshare, you need to go check out what is available along your route. Be sure you have all the normal charging adapters for your Mobile Connector -- especially the NEMA 14-50 adapter to use at RV parks and the J-1772 adapter for using non-Tesla Level 2 (AC) charging facilities.

As far as charging with a dryer connection, have you checked with your destination to see if it is indeed a NEMA 14-30 outlet? Older homes (and in some cases, newer homes ) have NEMA 10-30, which requires a different adapter.

IF you fully charge right before leaving, you should not need the Supercharger to reach your destination. It is not advisable to let your car sit at 100% charge, but going there right before leaving will be fine and it will warm the battery. What was your State of Charge % when you plotted the route in the car and it said to make a SC stop? Remember it is assuming you are leaving immediately with your current SOC -- it doesn't know you are planning to charge before leaving.

@BerTX great points! I’ll order a 10-30 adapter as well to be safe. When I plugged in the route, I used the Tesla route planner on their web site on my desktop computer using a 250 mile range to start (100% charge). I’ll check out PlugShare for sure!

Excited to take this maiden voyage with the family, but want to prepare as best I can!!

@Sandollars appreciate the kind words about the X! Loving this pearl white! Have it a good wash and threw on some BeadMaker afterwards for a little extra shine and coating!

Now, if I can just get my TX registration/plates and get this car linked to my Tesla account!!

Thanks guys!

@BerTX great points! I’ll order a 10-30 adapter as well to be safe. When I plugged in the route, I used the Tesla route planner on their web site on my desktop computer using a 250 mile range to start (100% charge). I’ll check out PlugShare for sure!

Excited to take this maiden voyage with the family, but want to prepare as best I can!!

@Sandollars appreciate the kind words about the X! Loving this pearl white! Have it a good wash and threw on some BeadMaker afterwards for a little extra shine and coating!

Now, if I can just get my TX registration/plates and get this car linked to my Tesla account!!

Thanks guys!
Yeah, the route planner online on the Tesla site is a sales tool to assuage the fears of potential buyers that an electric car can't work for them. Never, ever use it for real trip planning!!!

There are several better options. EVTripPlanner is an online, free planner. It was one of the first efforts and is still functional, but maybe not as well kept up to date as it once was, Another option is A Better Route Planner, which is well supported and quite well respected. I use EV Trip Optimizer, which is a phone app and automatically takes weather into account in doing range estimates, but it is not free. Many of the best things in life are not.

I ordered both "gen 1" AND a "gen 2" 14-30 adapters from Tesla and a 14-30 extension cord. Wasn't sure if my 2017 model x used gen 1 or gen 2 so thought i would make sure i was covered!
Surely Gen 2 unless the previous owner kept it.
No--definitely not gen 2. The second generation mobile connector only appeared with the Model 3. They just started delivering those in the second half of 2017. Then, it was in the beginning of 2018 that they switched over to start using the 2nd generation mobile connector on the Model S and X as well. He says this is a 2017 Model X, so it would still have the 1st generation mobile connector.

I bought my 2017 90D from a dealer as well. It's been 4 months and I haven't received my registration yet. Called the dealer last week and they said title was sent to DMV 2 weeks ago. WTH? Anyhow, I've been using the supercharger for 4 months since this model has unlimited supercharging. Try using it you may be surprised.

I bought my 2017 90D from a dealer as well. It's been 4 months and I haven't received my registration yet. Called the dealer last week and they said title was sent to DMV 2 weeks ago. WTH? Anyhow, I've been using the supercharger for 4 months since this model has unlimited supercharging. Try using it you may be surprised.

Just supercharged with no issues!!