Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging speed throttled? [RESOLVED: not really]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: Updated title of this thread to reflect outcome of further investigation.

Hi all,

My MX 100D was delivered at the beginning of December 2018. So far only about 3500 miles on the odometer.

I don't have a 240v outlet at home yet. But I have been charging at 110V from time to time. I have also charged at work with chargepoint. Other times I have used supercharging. But given the mileage, I probably have 10 supercharge or less.

Recently I found that supercharging speed is limited to about 90 kW. E.g today at Folsom, there is no other cars. My car started charging at 50 miles SOC. Charging rate tops out at 91kw.

Anyone else has similar experience?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing I'd try is moving to another stall (different number) to see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't I still wouldn't worry. Were many other stalls occupied? Does this station throttle at certain times of day around PGE peak load tariffs something of that sort? Also, isn't 90 kW enough? That would add 50% to a 100 kWh battery in 33 min.

I don't think I'm trottled either. How do I get trottled?

Update: I am now charging at the South lake Tahoe station. Not a soul there except me. I am seeing 114kw, starting at 71 miles SOC.

So indeed my car was probably not throttled. It's likely that some of the chargers some how dont go up to 120kw as advertised.

I knew that two stalls close to each other could be limited. And high SOC can also cause Charing to slow down. I am sure that's not the case for the few experience I had. Not sure why it would just go to 90kw before.

Thanks a lot to everyone who chimed in. :)

Update: I am now charging at the South lake Tahoe station. Not a soul there except me. I am seeing 114kw, starting at 71 miles SOC.

So indeed my car was probably not throttled. It's likely that some of the chargers some how dont go up to 120kw as advertised.

I knew that two stalls close to each other could be limited. And high SOC can also cause Charing to slow down. I am sure that's not the case for the few experience I had. Not sure why it would just go to 90kw before.

Thanks a lot to everyone who chimed in. :)

Not necessary near each other. Read the numbers. I was told if numbers are the same they are tied together. I have seen stalls 20 feet apart with the same number.

I knew that two stalls close to each other could be limited.
Not necessary near each other. Read the numbers. I was told if numbers are the same they are tied together. I have seen stalls 20 feet apart with the same number.
Yes, the pairing doesn't have to be near each other. It can depend on how the installation contractors decided to place the stalls. But the pairing methodology is consistent. It is each number that corresponds to a stack of the charging hardware, and the A and B share it. So consider these two layouts of the order of the stalls:
1A 1B 2A 2B 3A 3B 4A 4B
In that case, the pairs are next to each other.
But there are also some like this:
1A 2A 3A 4A 1B 2B 3B 4B
The paired ones of 1A and 1B would be three spaces away.