Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Williams Lake, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds silly to ask but how much kw is the chademo/ccs station? ;)
The Flo AddEnergie SmartDC pictured here is likely 50 kW. They do have an upcoming 100 kW model so it is possible that it is the 100 kW variant as well but the 100 kW version has a shorter cable and this seems like normal length for a 50 kW SmartDC.

The interesting thing is that this is an unbranded (dark blue) Flo AddEnergie charger, constructed at the same time, within the same Tesla-red bollards, and on the same style of concrete pedestal as the Tesla equipment.

This is NOT a BC Hydro branded (light blue) Flo station, and, in fact, BC Hydro already has one of their own branded Flo stations in another location in Williams Lake.

This is also not one of the NRCan funded sites that we know Tesla will be putting in 75% Superchargers and 25% generic CCS/CHAdeMO chargers on to be eligible for the funding.

I'm not sure if this is a sign that Tesla is working with Flo to install chargers (which may be what they will be doing with the future NRCan sites) or if it is just a coincidence and the site itself installed this, at the same time and using the same contractor, as the Tesla Supercharger installation.

The Flo AddEnergie SmartDC pictured here is likely 50 kW. They do have an upcoming 100 kW model so it is possible that it is the 100 kW variant as well but the 100 kW version has a shorter cable and this seems like normal length for a 50 kW SmartDC.

The interesting thing is that this is an unbranded (dark blue) Flo AddEnergie charger, constructed at the same time, within the same Tesla-red bollards, and on the same style of concrete pedestal as the Tesla equipment.

This is NOT a BC Hydro branded (light blue) Flo station, and, in fact, BC Hydro already has one of their own branded Flo stations in another location in Williams Lake.

This is also not one of the NRCan funded sites that we know Tesla will be putting in 75% Superchargers and 25% generic CCS/CHAdeMO chargers on to be eligible for the funding.

I'm not sure if this is a sign that Tesla is working with Flo to install chargers (which may be what they will be doing with the future NRCan sites) or if it is just a coincidence and the site itself installed this, at the same time and using the same contractor, as the Tesla Supercharger installation.
Tesla has funds under two grants:
-Electric Vehicle and Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Deployment (15 sites in BC, AB, SK)
- Zero Emission Vehicle Infrastructure Program (27 stations in BC only)

This one looks like its out of the 2nd fund.

Reactions: Xelloss99
Tesla has funds under two grants:
-Electric Vehicle and Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Deployment (15 sites in BC, AB, SK)
- Zero Emission Vehicle Infrastructure Program (27 stations in BC only)

This one looks like its out of the 2nd fund.
Nice! Makes sense.

27 stations would seem to be three sites with eight Superchargers and one Flo station each. Williams Lake and Cache Creek seem to be two of these, with possibly Quesnel being the third.

Does anyone have any idea if PG is next on the list of chargers that will be constructed. Seems like a logical step seeing as they are in the neighborhood. Also any recent pics on Williams lake construction?
Hoping pg is next, people installing have Alberta plates on trailer. Maybe they making their way to jasper... I drive by the pg sight twice a day, so soon as I see movement will let everyone know.
Tesla's map shows Quesnel with an opening target date of Q3 2021, a quarter before PG or Jasper which are both listed with Q4 targets. So, at least Tesla's map suggests Quesnel before either of the other two.

Likely higher capacity than 50 but Telsas will only be able to use 50 as that’s what the Tesla adapter limits you to.
If you are speaking of the non-Supercharger stall, that particular charger (AddEnergie SmartDC) has a lot of installations in Canada (at least in more remote areas of BC and Alberta) and the installations until now have used a 50 kW model, with a 100 kW variant that is upcoming or about to be released that BC Hydro will be using for newer chargers they install.

The specs for the 100 kW model indicate a 3.7 metre cable, but the cable in the photos is likely longer than this (hard to say because it is coiled) so it is likely the 50 kW variant, particularly since Tesla probably doesn't have an incentive to spend more both on the charger and power infrastructure for non-Tesla charging equipment, and the 50 kW maximum will allow them to bill this the same as Teslas using a Supercharger at a Power Tier 1 (<60 kW) rate to avoid confusion and/or "preferential billing" to one or the other.

Looking at the model number and maximum current specs on the specification plate will determine for sure.
DCCH502AN1FLP03 is the common 50 kW variant which has a 6.1 metre cable and a 65A input current rating
DCCH502AO1FLP03 is the newly released/upcoming 100 kW variant which has a 3.7 metre cable and a 130A input current rating

Likely higher capacity than 50 but Telsas will only be able to use 50 as that’s what the Tesla adapter limits you to.
Because Tesla is forced to install a non-Tesla fast charging station at these new Supercharger locations, they most certainly won't spend the extra $$ to give their competition a 100 kw fast charger. Also looking at all the non-Tesla fast charging infrastructure across BC, 90% are 50-60 kw chargers. The other 10% that are greater than that, are very limited and only available at Electrify Canada, Petro Canada and one Shell station in Burnaby (which conveniently does not work). So statistically speaking, it's very unlikely that this Flo station will be greater than 50 kw. But who knows, maybe the Municipality or owners of the site decided to pitch in some extra $$ for the upgrade.

Looks like these are completed and looking great. Can’t wait for them to turn them on.

Attachments

• 9907044F-1CAF-4EC8-B5E9-E28F9F29E421.jpeg
    9907044F-1CAF-4EC8-B5E9-E28F9F29E421.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 119
  • F9F6F875-C284-4E32-B850-F9E6225E69CB.jpeg
    F9F6F875-C284-4E32-B850-F9E6225E69CB.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 80
  • FA5D26FD-5405-4D76-ABD4-D586A703052B.jpeg
    FA5D26FD-5405-4D76-ABD4-D586A703052B.jpeg
    320.6 KB · Views: 79
Looks great, Hopefully they will be up and running for my trip to PG mid June. Any idea what the average time from completion to turning them on? I see that Cache Creek is still waiting to be activated as well

Unfortunately it has been taking 3-4 months after construction completion for the inspectors/municipalities and BC Hydro to activate Tesla Superchargers. Expect Cache Creek, Williams Lake and Quesnel to take about the same amount of time. North Vancouver and Coquitlam have been done for months already, I think around 3 months in fact, and they're not up yet! Princeton and West Kelowna took 3-4 months as well! But at least on the bright side, look how fast Tesla is managing to pop these Superchargers in. They don't mess around!

Unfortunately it has been taking 3-4 months after construction completion for the inspectors/municipalities and BC Hydro to activate Tesla Superchargers. Expect Cache Creek, Williams Lake and Quesnel to take about the same amount of time. North Vancouver and Coquitlam have been done for months already, I think around 3 months in fact, and they're not up yet! Princeton and West Kelowna took 3-4 months as well! But at least on the bright side, look how fast Tesla is managing to pop these Superchargers in. They don't mess around!
Yeah, I remember Princeton taking quite a number of months to get activated. Too bad they cant get them up and running sooner. I was hoping they would be ready for this summer season road trips.

Crazy, Quesnel didn't even rate a blue dot, now it almost done..
Not crazy at all. This is one of the regularly expected results when dealing with crowd sourcing information. Particularly in areas where there aren't lots of crowds on the lookout for relevant info/activity. But even in more "Tesla dense" areas, sites still slip through sometimes.

And, now that someone has started a new thread for it, further Quesnel-specific discussions and questions should be directed there (and it has a link to a twitter post with a picture): Supercharger - Quesnel, BC

Reactions: nick010101
In much the same way that the Trans-Canada was done, I suspect these will fall like dominoes, especially after covid restrictions are lifted.
Shower thoughts.

Recently, Tesla applied and received Funds from:
  • Electric Vehicle and Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Deployment Initiative for BC, AB and SK.
  • Zero Emission Vehicle Infrastructure Program for BC only
My thoughts are they will do BC, AB and SK first. The rest of the superchargers in Canada may wait till their respective application for government funds is approved.

But, yes, Dominoes, i agree.

Looks like these are completed and looking great. Can’t wait for them to turn them on.
Thanks for the photos. I'm slightly saddened to see the bollards completely in line with the SC stalls - makes it super awkward to have anything on the rear of the car and charge. Tesla doesn't seem to have a tight standard here - some SCs the bollards/signs are offset far enough back that I can charge with bikes on my rack no problem, others it isn't possible without taking everything off the back. With the Y out now and the Cybertruck coming soon, I really thought Tesla would re-think the standard SC layout and update it! Is there even one pull-in or pull-through stall in this whole set-up?