Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger What3Word Addresses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
khew1988 started a list of What3Words addresses for Supercharger sites. I had a real problem finding the Washington site at the north end of the A1 because there were two hotel entrances close together and the signing was not clear. The SAT Nav took me in the wrong entrance and the chargers were on the other side of the hotel fence but not visible. As I left another owner was having the same difficultly. Give me W3W over post codes any day. Wondering whether the list for the UK was ever completed - Since this is my first go on this site I'm no clear how to check albeit I have turned up the original post proposing this listing

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
]khew1988 started a list of What3Words addresses for Supercharger sites. I had a real problem finding the Washington site at the north end of the A1 because there were two hotel entrances close together and the signing was not clear. The SAT Nav took me in the wrong entrance and the chargers were on the other side of the hotel fence but not visible. As I left another owner was having the same difficultly. Give me W3W over post codes any day. Wondering whether the list for the UK was ever completed - Since this is my first go on this site I'm no clear how to check albeit I have turned up the original post proposing this listing!

If you put the @ before the user name you will create a link which notifies that user that they have been mentioned in a post.

The forum search function generally works quite well so if you’ve not found the list it probably doesn’t exist.

I can’t say I have experienced any problems with the car finding Superchargers … so perhaps Washington is an exceptional case and there isn’t a strong case for the 3 words solution?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NewbieT and init6
Never had a problem with the in car navigation to a Supercharger. Solving a problem that doesn’t exist on a wide scale basis.

In the Tesla app you can give feedback on your last supercharger session. Account > Charging > History > Recent Charging Session / How was your experience? Try that.

Reactions: Adopado and M1tch
South Mimms is easy to miss is you are looking for the signage... first time ended up having to turn around in the lorry park and wasn't convinced pins were correct.

Sat view is often quite a good preview ahead of the drive. But obviously won't pick up barriers like fences.

Sat nav postcodes is generally crap - often (always) will only use the district so can be quite a distance away from actual location. Even with a location its often wrong. Our trip over weekend, put in actual premises name which was recognised, but pin was half mile away and wrong side of the road in a building site.

Not a fan of W3W when we have other well established methods to get a specific location. It has its place, but not when these other methods would do a better job.

I'm not sure I understand the issue, the marker for the Washing ton SuperCharger is in the right car park, surely if navigating to the marker it takes you right there? Why do you reference postcodes, are you looking up a supercharger sites postcode then adding that rather than actually selecting the marker for the supercharger?

I think it's far better to edit the location in google maps, or leave a helpful photo with surrounding to give anybody who is struggling a hand

And of course, if your car's nav doesn't find it, leave that as feedback in the Tesla app

W3W is a really good solution to pinpoint locations like chargers that don't have a real postcode which can cover quite a big area depending on density of delivery points. However, the problem being described here isn't necessarily the location (as mentioned by others, these are usually pretty accurate on the Tesla map), it's possibly the route which the navigation may choose to take to get you there. I've had a situation (not with a charger) where the navigation has directed me to a location but the actual place I wanted to go was behind a fence and accessed from a totally different road. I'm not sure what the solution would be in that case, but a more accurate pin wouldn't necessarily solve it.

Reactions: init6
W3W is a really good solution to pinpoint locations like chargers that don't have a real postcode which can cover quite a big area depending on density of delivery points. However, the problem being described here isn't necessarily the location (as mentioned by others, these are usually pretty accurate on the Tesla map), it's possibly the route which the navigation may choose to take to get you there. I've had a situation (not with a charger) where the navigation has directed me to a location but the actual place I wanted to go was behind a fence and accessed from a totally different road. I'm not sure what the solution would be in that case, but a more accurate pin wouldn't necessarily solve it.
When I ask the car to navigate to the Washington Supercharger marker the route goes exactly to the entrance to the right car park, it seems that it uses a target specifically located to do this rather than the actual marker. I' suspicious that the OP talks about postcodes, seems like not letting the car do the work correctly.

W3W is a really good solution to pinpoint locations like chargers that don't have a real postcode which can cover quite a big area depending on density of delivery points.

Or just use lat/lng/bng/wgs84 etc No need for w3w when these are more accurate. The only thing w3w brings to the party is easy to remember for humans, and often easy for humans to confuse some of the subtleties in spelling.

To be fair to the OP, when I first went to Washington SC I went into the wrong hotel car park entrance too.

I also had a similar problem of being unsure of how to get to the SC at Woodall southbound services the first time as well.

With my experience gained, now I use the Tesla map on "satellite view" (which requires premium connectivity) and zoom in and follow the direction "blue noodle" as you can make out the chargers etc

Only time I ever had a problem was when the supercharger was in an undercover area and the pin had been placed on the car park next to it.. which had no signs to the supercharger. I wasn't the only tesla driver driving around looking confused that day either..

Can't even remember which one it was now.. somewhere near the south coast I think.

Give me W3W over post codes any day

Compared to Postcode, maybe. But W3W is dreadful badly conceived compared to what it could have been with better linguistic effort - a commercial project mascaraing as open-source.

Or just use lat/lng/bng/wgs84 etc No need for w3w when these are more accurate. The only thing w3w brings to the party is easy to remember for humans, and often easy for humans to confuse some of the subtleties in spelling.

I think its worse than that. I looked at this some time ago and found research about the number of W3W within a short distance (10 miles or so) that were phonetically similar, homophones abound, and 20% of the words are also used in the plural. I suspect that some people get the words in the wrong order, which is also very likely to be valid - but a different location of course. The emergency services complain that they not infrequently go to the wrong place because of misunderstanding with W3W.

Much better (for emergency services) is to use Phone which, if suitable CONFIG choice made - "Advanced Mobile Location" I think?) will transmit Lat/Long.

I have found the car SatNav location pin for the Supercharger to be accurate ... sometimes navigating the one way system in a large French Aire, to get there, has been a challenge.

All mobile phones for the last few years transmit your location if you call 999, it's called Advanced Mobile Location (as mentioned above, I didn't read properly first time around). It was actually developed in the UK.

There have been issues with that information not being passed on, but the answer isn't for a commercial company to come up with a worse system..

I've had a situation (not with a charger) where the navigation has directed me to a location but the actual place I wanted to go was behind a fence and accessed from a totally different road. I'm not sure what the solution would be in that case, but a more accurate pin wouldn't necessarily solve it.
For the navigation system provider to pay Royal Mail for the datanbase that contains the parking location for delivery to each postcode.