Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somehow, this guy found the worst two superchargers in So Cal and extrapolated his experience widely. Can't blame him for doing so, but downtown superchargers even in other Cities are similar (San Francisco, Boston, Eg)...

Somehow, this guy found the worst two superchargers in So Cal and extrapolated his experience widely. Can't blame him for doing so, but downtown superchargers even in other Cities are similar (San Francisco, Boston, Eg)...
First: this was my first ever road trip, I have only 7k on my M3, so you guys (with your +70K on multiple Teslas) obviously are more experienced in matter of superchargers, that being said, having a supercharger in valet parking of a hotel is nonsense.
Second: What's the deal with So Cal, No Cal? did I offend any of SD residences? sorry, you are the best, you are the greatest :rolleyes:
Third: I didn't know about this forum, now that I found it, I have saved it on my phone and will do due diligence in research before I drive to supercharger.
Wife and kid: C'mon, just drive, how hard is it to find a supercharger
me: you never now where you end up !

In the guy's defense, he did refer to the tourist areas of San Diego. Having lived here for 28 years I think I know what qualifies: Mission Bay, Sea World, Balboa Park, the Gaslamp, the Convention Center and Old Town. There's only one Supercharger site anywhere near those areas, namely the one downtown that we all like to complain about, and it's not within convenient walking distance of any of them. The rest are in industrial (Qualcomm) or commercial areas frequented by us locals but not by most visitors.

Hi everyone,
My apologies in advance for asking these questions. Honestly, I am looking for someone to save me some time trying to find my answers in 30 pages of this thread. My wife is new to Tesla, having just got her Model 3 a few weeks ago. She has a huge soccer tournament in SD this coming Thanksgiving, and will need to charge likely more than once. Her destination hotel (Paradise Point), has only 2 HPWCs, for a very large property. According to the last report on PlugShare, only one is working. All the soccer families will be staying there, and many of them have Teslas.
Anyway, back to my question: what is the story on using this location? The car shows open 24/7, and that a fee may apply. $5 flat rate? The screen also showed only 1 stall in use on a Sunday. Last time I followed this thread, it was closed at certain times and not accessible. Basically, can someone give me a summary of how this location is accessed and any restrictions?

Hi everyone,
My apologies in advance for asking these questions. Honestly, I am looking for someone to save me some time trying to find my answers in 30 pages of this thread. My wife is new to Tesla, having just got her Model 3 a few weeks ago. She has a huge soccer tournament in SD this coming Thanksgiving, and will need to charge likely more than once. Her destination hotel (Paradise Point), has only 2 HPWCs, for a very large property. According to the last report on PlugShare, only one is working. All the soccer families will be staying there, and many of them have Teslas.
Anyway, back to my question: what is the story on using this location? The car shows open 24/7, and that a fee may apply. $5 flat rate? The screen also showed only 1 stall in use on a Sunday. Last time I followed this thread, it was closed at certain times and not accessible. Basically, can someone give me a summary of how this location is accessed and any restrictions?

The prices were shown in this post, and the post after it: Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

Summary: $2 per fifteen minutes, with some flat rates at certain times. But that could change depending on what events are going on downtown.

I suggest charging in Carlsbad on the way into town, and then using Fashion Valley if additional charging is needed while in town.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
Paradise point tesla chargers often are available. That location is close to fashion Valley - just supercharge there. What soccer tournament is it? The big one for san diego was in August
I certainly hope so. If she gets access to destination charging, she is set. She’s a bit of a technophobe, so whatever makes this simpler helps a lot.
It is the Nomads tournament. Club soccer. Every year for Thanksgiving.

There is also a new Supercharger in Murietta, 50 miles North of San Diego on I-215, and another about the same distance on I-15. People going to Downtown SD can charge there, and perhaps have enough to not even need to charge up downtown.

Another option is always the even closer one in the Promenade mall in Temecula. Is a good place to stop and shop as you charge. Lots of restaurants and it's a nice mall.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
4th Supercharger visited. Woo hoo! Added 100 miles in about 20 minutes. $7 for charging and $5 for parking. No complaints except missed entrance and had to drive around block. Would be helpful to have Tesla logo that can be seen from the street.

Your experience was better than mine. We drove down to SD to have dinner with some friends in our old S85. Got there with 50 miles of range left and first Supercharger we plugged into would go no higher than 31kW. I tried on 3 stalls over and we did much better at 71kW. We we got 100 miles added in 42 minutes. The lower capacity limits and faster taper sure makes me envious of M3 LR folks.