Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Plantation, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This SC NEEDS to be done before a boatload of Tesla owners descend on Miami for the Formula E race in March!
As mentioned up thread, there doesn't seem to be much progress being reported on the building permit website to satisfy the 31 requirements prior to being able to break ground. I suppose it's still theoretically possible to have it done in time for the race, but with each day that goes by without breaking ground the likelihood diminishes.

Larry

Is there an organized group going to the race? I posted in the Florida forum about it, but haven't gotten any responses. I plan on driving down from the St Louis area and catching a couple spring training games in addition to the race.

There's an organized group from Atlanta that is going down for it. Something like a dozen cars.

There are approximately 5 hotels/resorts in the Miami area that have chargers. However, most of them are prohibitively expensive even when there's not a major event in town. As I mentioned earlier the status of the Plantation Supercharger is iffy that it will be ready in time for the race having not even broken ground yet. With this degree of uncertainty regarding the availability of adequate charging, organizers should be cautious regarding how large a group of Model Ss that they attract to compete for the same limited charging resources.

Larry

There are now 30 open issues instead of 31. This is because three are gone, two were added, and one was changed.

Gone:

Codes referenced on plans should be FBC 2010, NEC 2008, NFPA 72 2010, FFPC 2010.
Add the following note to the riser diagram: "ALL ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT WILL BE LABELED TO INDICATE POTENTIAL ELECTRIC ARC FLASH HAZARDS". NEC 110.16
A site lighting plan, pole lite detail, wind load rating showing 170 mph for 3 second gusts, parking lot photometric values required. FBC 106.3.10.1, FBC 1609, City Ord 27-750(2)

New:

Sign permit required for backlit tesla signs on charging system
The height of the Tesla charging station identification sign should have a clear height from the ground to the bottom of the sign of 7'-0".

Changed:

Fire- Show that proper turning radius is maintained in corner

to

Fire- Show that proper turning radius is maintained in corner02/06/15- Plan does not show 50' outside, 38" inside radius.

This seems to be insurmountable. I would just move on to another location. There are plenty of other spots that would do around the Sawgrass Mall, Somewhere in Weston, North Coral Springs off the Sawgrass there are a few malls with restaurants at University. Why are they beating this to death, forget about it. I saw on the TESLARATI map that WPB popped up out of nowhere and is under construction while these yoyos are playing with the 30 hoops they need to jump through. The spot is just not that important, MOVE ON

Sawgrass/I-75 would be a better travel corridor to site a Supercharger for travel to central-south Miami-Dade and Key West. Along with drivers from Ft. Myers / Naples on I-75.

I agree 100% would fit everyone's needs. Downtown would not be a good place for travelers and I think too many people would use it as a parking space. Sawgrass Mall would be the place to be for sure, plenty of outlying spaces, food and shops to walk to. PERFECT PLACE. BUT in retrospect, it just might be in the same jurisdiction that the current site is having problems with.

Yes, downtown Fort Lauderdale would be much better. Near I-95 with plenty of places to eat while you're charging.

:tongue:

I was just kidding.

I was just pointing out that everybody has a passionate opinion on this, that we have been over and over again. The current planned location seems like a nice compromise, especially since they are down to "only" 19 prerequisites. Let's not start all over when they are making progress.

Last edited:
This seems to be insurmountable. I would just move on to another location. There are plenty of other spots that would do around the Sawgrass Mall, Somewhere in Weston, North Coral Springs off the Sawgrass there are a few malls with restaurants at University. Why are they beating this to death, forget about it. I saw on the TESLARATI map that WPB popped up out of nowhere and is under construction while these yoyos are playing with the 30 hoops they need to jump through. The spot is just not that important, MOVE ON

Down to 19 conditions. Seems like we're pretty close.

I do not think Sawgrass is the best option, not due to location that is perfect just the nightmare parking especially at the weekend they are guaranteed to get ICED.
Or you put them far away from the mall entrance then lose the whole idea of convenience to shops.

Plantation is probably not the best location in regards to charging convenience when looking at it from a travel perspective, but owners will have lots of places to eat and shop and icing would not be such a big concern.

There is a regular charging station for electric cars at the new mall on Palm Beach Lakes Blvd. Not sure how long it would take to charge up a Tesla since it isnt a supercharger. Surprisingly, Tesla doesnt have a supercharger at their site in West Palm off of Blue Heron