Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Phoenix, AZ - W Happy Valley Rd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Guacahummus

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2020
Tex 📐

Attachments

• 1696804620457.png
    1696804620457.png
    553.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 1696804633330.png
    1696804633330.png
    1,004.5 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: Cyberjr
No activity at this future supercharger site yet; not even any marker paint or utility flags.

Attachments

• IMG_9505.jpeg
    IMG_9505.jpeg
    877.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9506.jpeg
    IMG_9506.jpeg
    950.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9507.jpeg
    IMG_9507.jpeg
    897.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9508.jpeg
    IMG_9508.jpeg
    873.5 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: Tyl
I live 4 miles north of this site. I'd be happy to check in on it now and then. Not 100% sure of the exact location, but if it's right there on the corner of Happy Valley Rd and Norterra Parkway it will be easy to see any kind of progress. Phoenix sure likes to stick superchargers in mall parking lots.

I live 4 miles north of this site. I'd be happy to check in on it now and then. Not 100% sure of the exact location, but if it's right there on the corner of Happy Valley Rd and Norterra Parkway it will be easy to see any kind of progress. Phoenix sure likes to stick superchargers in mall parking lots.
Nice. (I don’t expect to get by that area again in the next few months.) The location pin on supercharger.info is exactly correct. Translate that to Google Maps and you can’t miss it.

I just stopped by and saw no changes. That's if the pin placement at the end of the parking lot is accurate. If I put the address into GPS it takes me to the center of the lot, which would be better for access to useful businesses, like restaurants. Right now, the closest eatery is a Subway with all others a walk to get there. The obligatory Carl's Jr is across 6 lanes of traffic. But you get a Men's Warehouse close by.
1000015346.jpg
1000015346.jpg

Reactions: Guacahummus
Sorry on the pics. I tried uploading via my phone app, and it was both slow and confusing. It said the 2nd pic I tried to upload was too big, and then I got offered the choice to use a thumbnail. And picked the wrong thumbnail. Couldn't see how to edit it out so gave up. Anyway, it looks close to a Sleep Number mattress store, a math & reading school and a Men's Warehouse. Similar buildings off to the left, but there is a Subway there. In the opposite direction from above, across the parking lot, is a Pei Wei. Further than that there is Ah-So-Sushi. Across the street is Carl's Jr. A further walk than those gets you to a number of other fast-food restaurants and a couple of sit-downs (like Olive Garden). Most of those are about a 20 minute walk round-trip, so not really close enough for a grab & go, except the Subway. Like most of the Phoenix area SC's I've seen, you have zero services nearby if you come to charge after about 9 or 10pm. At least they are in a lit and safe area.

I think it is a curious spot. Happy Valley Road is 1/3rd of the way to the New River SC from the Agua Fria SC. The Agua Fria one is basically at the intersection of the 101 and I-17, but is in a mall parking lot and is 150kW. (New River is also 150kW). This charger is mostly convenient heading northbound, but less so southbound due to the Double Diamond interchange at Happy Valley. It's an improvement from the old pair of roundabouts, but going to the SC from southbound usually means sitting through 2 (different) lights to get past the intersection. This area can get pretty congested at rush hour.

I've never quite figured out the appeal for urban superchargers where there are no real services like bathrooms or trash cans or 24-hour restaurants nearby.

I will say that there are lots and lots of Teslas showing up in the area, but they mostly charge at home. Maybe this is for the apartment dwellers.

I just stopped by and saw no changes. That's if the pin placement at the end of the parking lot is accurate. If I put the address into GPS it takes me to the center of the lot, which would be better for access to useful businesses, like restaurants. Right now, the closest eatery is a Subway with all others a walk to get there. The obligatory Carl's Jr is across 6 lanes of traffic. But you get a Men's Warehouse close by. View attachment 1015288
Based on the site plan, the supercharger will be along the curved curb at the very left edge of your photo.
Yeah, not really a great location for amenities (or bathrooms). There is a PF Changs back across the parking lot; everything else is a walk… :(

I stopped by today to see if anything had changed - it had not. Nothing is going on at the site. I did take a better look around at dining options.

Subway is pretty close. At the far end of the parking lot is a PF Chang's, and near that is an Ah-So-Sushi. A Panera Bread is slightly farther away. Past those are several other eateries, but they are definitely not a convenient walk/location to the charger location.

Across Happy Valley Road (6 lanes) is a Carl's Jr, and the walk to a crosswalk and the restaurant is about the same distance as the Panera Bread, PF Chang's and sushi place. None of these look to be open 24/7. No bathroom locations except those restaurants.

Aren't all planned v3 SC locations now v4?
No, only the NEVI ones, and some others. Until now Arizona has only one V4 station, but the one at Stapley and Higley is being retrofitted from V3 to V4. NEVI funding requires at least CCS, hence Magicdock becomes synonymous with NEVI, for now.

That Stapley/Higley downtime interests me a lot. It's been a good 2-week downtime, maybe 3. All the V3 stalls were yanked out some time ago, all at once. I was in east Mesa on Saturday wanting a quick top up, and I then found out just how far the SC's are from the east valley. That the closest station is down more than 2 weeks is interesting because until now V4's have just been V4 stalls, but V3 back end - no charging difference from V3. It should be easy enough to plop down a V4 stall in place of V3, because that's basically the same thing underneath. True V4 should support 800v charging, like Cybertruck. There must be more going on at this site than just replacing stalls. True V4 requires larger power cabinets than V3.

Back to the topic of this thread, I go by the Happy Valley site every 3-4 days. (I use the site as the destination of an FSD test loop.) So far no sign of any changes there.