Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Norfolk, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I'm cautiously optimistic... firstly that the Tesla actually arrives before we leave (scheduled for late Aug/Sept, and we leave on the 15th of Sept), and second that the traffic down shouldn't be too bad. Leaving DC on a Thursday, stopping off to meet some friends and charge in Richmond, and then continuing on to Norfolk seems like the best option.

Coming back on a Sunday afternoon is probably going to be ass, but so it goes. Hopefully mid-september, things have calmed down a bit...? (I know, I know. I just need to delude myself.)

Mrjwen, link to the DC group? I shall! Mostly to save the GF from my incessant Teslarants.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I'm cautiously optimistic... firstly that the Tesla actually arrives before we leave (scheduled for late Aug/Sept, and we leave on the 15th of Sept), and second that the traffic down shouldn't be too bad. Leaving DC on a Thursday, stopping off to meet some friends and charge in Richmond, and then continuing on to Norfolk seems like the best option.

Coming back on a Sunday afternoon is probably going to be ass, but so it goes. Hopefully mid-september, things have calmed down a bit...? (I know, I know. I just need to delude myself.)

Mrjwen, link to the DC group? I shall! Mostly to save the GF from my incessant Teslarants.

The silver lining of traffic is it extends significantly your range by lowering your speed. That is unless it is extremely cold or hot and you are pushing the climate control and not actually moving. Not sure what size pack you are getting but I have done Nags head to Glen Allen in one shot so the Norfolk stop is not crucial.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
The silver lining of traffic is it extends significantly your range by lowering your speed. That is unless it is extremely cold or hot and you are pushing the climate control and not actually moving. Not sure what size pack you are getting but I have done Nags head to Glen Allen in one shot so the Norfolk stop is not crucial.

The downside of traffic is the frustration level of the GF increases exponentially. :)

Going with the 60kWh battery, so yes, on paper - should be able to make it from GA to Nags', which is where we're staying - but it's close, closer than I'd like for my first long drive with the Model S, and leaves very little room for error (especially if we're limited to a 110 outlet down there, which I'm assuming is likely.)

One note about I95 and I64. I make the trip from DC to Virginia Beach 3-4 times a month. I have become accustomed to only making the trip after 7-8pm in either direction. The toddler is falling asleep as we leave and the fiance is awake for the first hour or so. I rarely hit traffic and take the express lanes(top of 95) regardless of what Waze says. The other benefit of everyone else sleeping I can do the speed limit if range is an issue. It only is an issue if I didn't do a max charge before leaving which is my fault anyway. If we end up having to stop at Glen Allen I don't hear the end of it. Luckily with good planning we haven't had to stop in Glen Allen since January when it was below freezing temps and I left with only 230 miles on the charge for a 215 mile trip :eek:. If departure time is out of your control and you have to make the trip during the day I wish you the best of luck. :)

Reactions: techmaven
The downside of traffic is the frustration level of the GF increases exponentially. :)

Going with the 60kWh battery, so yes, on paper - should be able to make it from GA to Nags', which is where we're staying - but it's close, closer than I'd like for my first long drive with the Model S, and leaves very little room for error (especially if we're limited to a 110 outlet down there, which I'm assuming is likely.)

Good idea.
Since you plan on using a 110 outlet, I'll also put in a plug (;)) for picking up the 5-20 adapter. It can cut your charge times down significantly from a 110 assuming the correct 20amp style outlet is available. There are even aftermarket 5-20 to 5-15 adapters that will make this work on a standard 5-15 prong outlet (you just need to be sure the breaker and wiring is adequate for the increased current draw).

Attachments

• NEMA_5-20_1024x1024.jpg
    NEMA_5-20_1024x1024.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 71
I agree with the above Doc's post regarding the benefits of deploying a Tesla UMC 5-20 adapter. This is my favorite adapter that I use for both 120v and 240v charging. I believe every owner that travels off the supercharger network should own one. Heck, we even had (6) in use for the 180 attendee East Coast bash last May. A 12AWG 50’ (I use a 10AWG for 50 -> 100’) extension cord can also be handy along with the 5-15P -> 5-20R adapter that he recommended. If you can verify that the washing machine or micro-wave oven is on a 20a circuit you should be able to charge ~5mph. I always check all connection points at 15 min., 30 min., and 2 hrs. to insure that no overheating issues are present. I also, never leave home without my stretched 50' UMC by QCP.

Good-Luck!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DFibRL8R
I agree with the above Doc's post regarding the benefits of deploying a Tesla UMC 5-20 adapter. This is my favorite adapter that I use for both 120v and 240v charging. I believe every owner that travels off the supercharger network should own one. Heck, we even had (6) in use for the 180 attendee East Coast bash last May. A 12AWG 50’ (I use a 10AWG for 50 -> 100’) extension cord can also be handy along with the 5-15P -> 5-20R adapter that he recommended. If you can verify that the washing machine or micro-wave oven is on a 20a circuit you should be able to charge ~5mph. I always check all connection points at 15 min., 30 min., and 2 hrs. to insure that no overheating issues are present. I also, never leave home without my stretched 50' UMC by QCP.

Good-Luck!

Buying my 5-20 today actually. Adding that to my new/untested CHAdeMo adapter and the other extension cord and adapter you reco'd, I'm feeling very versatile ;). Of course, if my niece and nephews drag me (their driver) to the outlets for shopping the way they did last year, I may not need any of it, since there's now a J1772 at Tanger.

OBX run underway. I-64 was a mess last weekend. Never witnessed so many accidents before. There should be a test to get a drivers license: no really. Police shutdown the highway for a time as well. Have not seen that much twisted metal since Afghanistan. Temperatures and road rage abounded. Hitting 460 on the return most likely. Supercharger Norfolk is in a crime hot zone. Also the nearby restaurants were very dirty with low quality food. Forgive my candor. Hopefully no offense is taken. The charger is directly across from Navy Federal Credit Union, which is a good guide on in the center of the shopping area. There's also a Walmart, which lately are notorious high crime areas.

Will stop at Norfolk again but probably not getting out of the car. Supercharger Glen Allen is a better venue for sure. So say we all.

After the fact, I should like to note that there are several reported convicted sex offenders within walking distance of the Norfolk supercharger. Whether you are male or female, stay alert.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    465.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
OBX run underway. I-64 was a mess last weekend. Never witnessed so many accidents before. There should be a test to get a drivers license: no really. Police shutdown the highway for a time as well. Have not seen that much twisted metal since Afghanistan. Temperatures and road rage abounded. Hitting 460 on the return most likely. Supercharger Norfolk is in a crime hot zone. Also the nearby restaurants were very dirty with low quality food. Forgive my candor. Hopefully no offense is taken. The charger is directly across from Navy Federal Credit Union, which is a good guide on in the center of the shopping area. There's also a Walmart, which lately are notorious high crime areas.

Will stop at Norfolk again but probably not getting out of the car. Supercharger Glen Allen is a better venue for sure. So say we all.

After the fact, I should like to note that there are several reported convicted sex offenders within walking distance of the Norfolk supercharger. Whether you are male or female, stay alert.

Having lived in Norfolk for over 15 years (but moved away 5 years ago), I can't specifically disagree with much of this post, but to be fair, it does come off as a tad melodramatic.

In the time this particular Supercharger has been open, there haven't really been any reports of crime targeting Tesla owners, so while I applaud your ability to be situationally aware, I think 99 out of 100 times, your fears are unfounded.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
It is definitely a poorly sited Supercharger. They should have put it west of the tunnel... nicer areas available and it would support taking the southern route too.

I put that in as a suggestion to the Supercharger team, but they had already sited the existing one. Still, to be optimistic, they could always add another...

Reactions: Austral
I have been at the Norfolk Supercharger ~45 times since it has been installed as I have family that lives 2 miles away. 75% of my visits have been after 7pm and even some at 2-4am. I have had ~5-10 people approach me all inquiring about the car but I never felt threatened. There are much worse parts of Norfolk than there at Janiff. Also do you consider Panera and Qdoba low quality? They are chain restaurants with "ok" food but I have never seen that Panera dirty after stopping in at all hours. Have only been to the Qdoba twice with good experiences. I lived in the area for 14 years and am not saying its a GREAT area but it is the best intersection of 264/64. Also as far as sex offenders and reported crimes, you can find them everywhere. I lived in nicer parts of Virginia Beach and just found quite a few registered offenders. Never had an issue growing up there. Just checked where I lived in Maryland and there are just as many. Not to mention random crimes. Criminals will break into cars and rob people everywhere, more often in middle/upper class areas as the return is typically better.

It is definitely a poorly sited Supercharger. They should have put it west of the tunnel... nicer areas available and it would support taking the southern route too.

I put that in as a suggestion to the Supercharger team, but they had already sited the existing one. Still, to be optimistic, they could always add another...

It's absolutely not poorly sited when you consider ALL routes of traffic through the area, not just the way YOU might take to get to OBX.

It's within a 5-minute drive of 58, 264, 64, 13, the airport, and in roughly a year, the new outlet mall being built near 64/13 interchange. And had they put it on the other side of the tunnel, it would not be as convenient for the people staying in VB, or even OBX. Think how popular you'd be amongst your family if you left OBX with less SoC than you needed, and you couldn't run the AC between OBX and say...a Hampton or Newport News SC because there was an accident in the HRBT and you were in an extra hour and a half of traffic before you hit the tunnel? At least with this location, you'll have a good SoC BEFORE you deal with the usual choke points.

If anything, maybe they'll move the site to the outlet mall when it's completed, but as far as geographical placement, they got it mostly right.

Right, I think you and I are on the same page here.....

You're just as vulnerable if you stop for gas somewhere at 1am as you are in a Tesla.

@Austral since you're so prolific on the Googles this morning, please.....add the words "Tesla Supercharger" to your crime search strings.

You won't find any at the Norfolk Supercharger. The only times this location made the news were its opening, and the unfortunate fatality suffered by the contractor performing the install.