Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Morrisville, NC (RDU)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this article about a new gas station opening next to RDU airport, it mentions the current Sheetz (1600 Aviation Pkwy) will be demolished and rebuilt. (Possible paywall so I've included the quote below)
The RDU Galleria will open just as the Sheetz convenience store nearby prepares to close. The company plans to demolish the existing 16-year-old building and build a reconfigured one that’s a third larger. In an email, Sheetz spokesman Nick Ruffner said the new store will “include a restaurant-style experience with self-service kiosks, additional seating both inside and outside the store, a drive-thru, a new Tesla charging station and more.” The company hopes to reopen by the end of the year.
This permit simply mentions the Tesla chargers included as part of the construction. Interestingly, a separate permit was filed for "new EV Charging Canopy Structure with roof mounted Solar panels."

The Sheets closed April 30th and demolition started May 1st. As of today the building and exterior property are not more. Does this constitute a construction update on the superchargers or does construction on the superchargers need to commence first?

Also, is it concerning that the Tesla website does not have a future supercharger pin on Morrisville, NC?

Thanks fore the update. The Sheetz demolition does not constitute supercharger construction start, but it's certainly a great sign and one step closer to happening. Typically, a supercharge.info construction marker is considered when the actual supercharger component of a project commences. That's things like fencing around the supercharger project site itself, Tesla equipment showing up or other supercharger specific work.

Guessing the supercharger work is 4-6 months out minimum - possibly more depending on how much site work needs to be done before the new facility construction begins.

I was up that way for the hockey game tonight so I figured I’d swing by and snap a pic of the solar canopy. It’s located on the north side of Sheetz. No normal parking spaces along that side of the building, because the drive thru lanes run parallel alongside that wall. In bottom corner of the shot is a curb then a couple of feet of grass then a curb for the two drive thru lanes.

There are 12 EV parking spaces underneath the canopy, one of which is van accessible. Still no Tesla hardware on-site.
IMG_1079.jpeg

I have some pictures I took just before Christmas. This would certainly be a very unconventional Tesla installation, with pairs of pedestals being installed on islands in between parking spots. Not quite what I would call ideal, but not too bad either. I did not spot any obvious spot where charging cabinets might be located or currently roughed in.

I appreciate the addition of the trash can and window washer dispensers (and the fact that they are already equipped is interesting!) but they might have to re-think the placement--seems like a tight fit!

IMG_20231221_142641901.jpg
IMG_20231221_142649653.jpg
IMG_20231221_142705985.jpg
IMG_20231221_142719799.jpg