Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mammoth Lakes, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't recall hearing before that a Supercharger was going in at Topaz Lake. What is your source for that assertion?
Looking at the Tesla Motors Supercharger map I do see a grey "Coming soon" icon directly east of Lake Tahoe in the area of Caron City, but Topaz Lake is to the southeast.

The thread is in the Mountain/Southwest supercharger forum as Topaz Lodge is in Nevada:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/53008-Supercharger-Gardnerville-NV

It's labeled Gardnerville because that is technically the mailing address city for the stuff on the Nevada side.

I have no problem with Tesla putting an SC in Mammoth (and Big Pine and Independence and Olancha, possibly June Lake, maybe even Tom's Place and Convict Lake) although the food options seem a bit sparse at that particular location, but we still need them in Bishop and Lee Vining, for 60s and Model 3s. If we have to wait beyond Memorial Day of next year for those, then Jamestown and/or Groveland become even more critical by next summer.
I'd like to see an SC in Lee Vining as well, for travel over Tioga Pass and into the eastern part of Yosemite National Park (Tuolumne Meadows). However, with HPWCs in Lee Vining (hopefully, as mentioned above) and SCs in Mammoth and Topaz Lake, a Model S/X with dual chargers should still be able to get enough charge in a reasonable amount of time.

One scenario would be getting a full charge in Lee Vining, camping or lodging at Tuolumne Meadows, and making a day trip down to Yosemite Valley and back up to Tuolumne. (It's much easier to get a campsite at Tuolumne during the summer, very pleasant at 8600' elevation, and far less crowded.) The roundtrip from Lee Vining to Yosemite Valley and back is about 150 miles. While there's a great deal of up and down, to say the least, the road speeds aren't so high. I'd expect this to be do-able with an acceptable margin, provided one drives reasonably efficiently and in non-winter weather (the road closes in winter). Charging at Yosemite Valley would help, but there are too few EVSEs to count on this. I've provided comments to the Park Service informing them of the need/desire for EVSEs within the Park, but the limited electrical infrastructure outside the Valley is certainly a challenge.

I'd like to see an SC in Lee Vining as well, for travel over Tioga Pass and into the eastern part of Yosemite National Park (Tuolumne Meadows). However, with HPWCs in Lee Vining (hopefully, as mentioned above) and SCs in Mammoth and Topaz Lake, a Model S/X with dual chargers should still be able to get enough charge in a reasonable amount of time.

One scenario would be getting a full charge in Lee Vining, camping or lodging at Tuolumne Meadows, and making a day trip down to Yosemite Valley and back up to Tuolumne. (It's much easier to get a campsite at Tuolumne during the summer, very pleasant at 8600' elevation, and far less crowded.) The roundtrip from Lee Vining to Yosemite Valley and back is about 150 miles. While there's a great deal of up and down, to say the least, the road speeds aren't so high. I'd expect this to be do-able with an acceptable margin, provided one drives reasonably efficiently and in non-winter weather (the road closes in winter). Charging at Yosemite Valley would help, but there are too few EVSEs to count on this. I've provided comments to the Park Service informing them of the need/desire for EVSEs within the Park, but the limited electrical infrastructure outside the Valley is certainly a challenge.
With only HPWCs in Lee Vining (they'd better be 80A to be useful), getting a full charge in Lee Vining would be problematic, as I doubt the deli will want owners camping out there for that long. Typically, people are there for well under two hours (if they have a meal, much less if they just get gas and/or buy some tourist junk). With only HPWCs at the deli, about all you can hope for is enough charge to get you back to Yosemite Valley, or to Mammoth after 15-30 minutes if Tesla puts an SC in Jamestown instead of Groveland. HPWCs at the deli will make round trips from Tuolumne Meadows to the deli/Mono Lake possible, even if they don't get some EVSEs at the Meadows.

I used to advocate for Jamestown instead of Groveland for the SC, as Jamestown provides coverage for more highways. But with an SC only in Mammoth, Jamestown-Mammoth in October temps in a 60 can be problematic, especially if loaded (I used to drive over from the Bay Area to Mammoth every Columbus Day weekend, to see the fall colors and climb Mt. Ritter and/or Banner Peak). Add some degradation and it would be way too much effort, like nursing a degraded LEAF in winter. So I think they should go with Groveland for the SC if at all possible (doesn't prevent them from doing Jamestown/Sonora later), to avoid 'edge of the envelope, do I need to turn off the heat' worries. SCs should be spaced so that's never an issue.

Of course, the ideal solution would be to also put an SC in downtown Lee Vining, plus HPWCs at the deli. However, with Mammoth and Topaz Lake, 395 travelers don't strictly need Lee Vining, it's the Bay Area people who need it the most. Thinking about it, with an SC in Mammoth Bishop's value has decreased as well, although still very useful to have.

I used to advocate for Jamestown instead of Groveland for the SC, as Jamestown provides coverage for more highways. But with an SC only in Mammoth, Jamestown-Mammoth in October temps in a 60 can be problematic, especially if loaded (I used to drive over from the Bay Area to Mammoth every Columbus Day weekend, to see the fall colors and climb Mt. Ritter and/or Banner Peak). Add some degradation and it would be way too much effort, like nursing a degraded LEAF in winter. So I think they should go with Groveland for the SC if at all possible (doesn't prevent them from doing Jamestown/Sonora later), to avoid 'edge of the envelope, do I need to turn off the heat' worries. SCs should be spaced so that's never an issue.

I would wager the number of people that drive through Jamestown/Sonora up to Pinecrest/Dodge ridge far exceeds the number that go to Mammoth. I think your earlier advocation was the correct one.

With only HPWCs in Lee Vining (they'd better be 80A to be useful), getting a full charge in Lee Vining would be problematic, as I doubt the deli will want owners camping out there for that long. Typically, people are there for well under two hours (if they have a meal, much less if they just get gas and/or buy some tourist junk).
I am assuming that, prior to topping off in Lee Vining, the battery has been fully charged at either the Topaz Lake SC (~70 miles away) or the Mammoth SC (~28 miles away). So the amount of time needed at an 80A HPWC should be reasonable, even if not ideal.

Definitely agree that having EVSEs at Tuolumne Meadows would be optimal for the 395-->Tuolumne-->YosemiteValley-->Tuolumne-->395 use case. No charging at Lee Vining would be necessary. Everyone, whenever you visit Yosemite, drop a comment advocating for EVSEs! Higher power EVSEs might have to wait for solar+batteries, however.

My only minor disappointment at not having an SC in Bishop is that we like stopping at the original Schatt's bakery and it'd be nice to charge within walking distance of their location in the center of Bishop, after only a very brief SC stop in Lone Pine. On the other hand, I can think of far worse things than hanging out in Mammoth for a bit, and the museum in Lone Pine looks inviting. Overall, I'm ecstatic to see SCs being installed along 395 all the way up to Reno! This definitely helps with my family's motivation to save for a Tesla.

I would wager the number of people that drive through Jamestown/Sonora up to Pinecrest/Dodge ridge far exceeds the number that go to Mammoth. I think your earlier advocation was the correct one.
That's almost certainly true in winter, but the traffic counts show 120 has heavier use year round - see http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/census/docs/2014_aadt_volumes.pdf . Dodge Ridge is reachable by a 60 even when fully loaded in winter from the Manteca SC. HPWCs, J1772s or just 14-50s are the appropriate choice for ski resorts.

The store and grill in Tuolumne Meadows is operated on a generator. There is no power in the campground area. A relative who works for Edison told me how they recently ran power up to the national park gate. I do not recall if the visitor center in Tuolumne has power. I think it is unlikely to get charging resources in that part of Yosemite due to the lack of power infrastructure.

The store and grill in Tuolumne Meadows is operated on a generator. There is no power in the campground area. A relative who works for Edison told me how they recently ran power up to the national park gate. I do not recall if the visitor center in Tuolumne has power. I think it is unlikely to get charging resources in that part of Yosemite due to the lack of power infrastructure.
You don't need charging at Tuolumne Meadows if you have a SC in Lee Vining. It's only 21 miles (28 RM) to the Meadows (9000 ft) and downhill from there.

Yes, if they put one in Lee Vining, then even a 60 could make it from Manteca (barely). It would also be nice to have one on the western side, maybe Jamestown/Sonora.

Without something extra, it's a nail biter to try and make it from the Bay Area (Manteca SC) to Mammoth, (almost 8000 feet gained!) but would be a relatively easy return.

Sadly, I don't see Tesla putting one in Lee Vining now, as the Mammoth SC will be less than 30 miles away. That 30 miles to Mammoth has 1100' gain though!

Yes, if they put one in Lee Vining, then even a 60 could make it from Manteca (barely). It would also be nice to have one on the western side, maybe Jamestown/Sonora.

Without something extra, it's a nail biter to try and make it from the Bay Area (Manteca SC) to Mammoth, (almost 8000 feet gained!) but would be a relatively easy return.

Sadly, I don't see Tesla putting one in Lee Vining now, as the Mammoth SC will be less than 30 miles away. That 30 miles to Mammoth has 1100' gain though!
Even Manteca to Lee Vining can be a nail biter in a 60 (especially if the temp is <=50 deg.). Manteca to Mammoth is basically out of the question, even at a speed multiplier of 1.0, temp 72 deg. and with only 200 lb. in the car - EVtripplanner shows it taking 214 RM. Not to mention that from Manteca to either town takes a range charge, so you'll be sitting in Manteca for a long time. IMO, SCs shouldn't be spaced further apart than can be reached in a 60 when charged to 80%, fully loaded, year-round conditions and including a reserve (I'd plan on 10% rounded up to the nearest multiple of 5 miles). Or, at most, you should be able to reach the next SC in good conditions with an 80% charge, and be able to reach it with 90% in poor conditions. That gives you some cushion to charge more as the battery ages, without having to sit there forever.

As to whether Tesla would be willing to do L-V as well as Mammoth, we can always continue to agitate. They've put them closer together than that, in areas that need them a lot less. Anyone who's come east over Tioga and wants to turn north (Mono Lake, Lundy and Virginia Canyons, Bodie, Twin Lakes etc.) isn't going to find Mammoth much help - 27 miles each way from the 120/395 junction.

- - - Updated - - -

I was up there on September 7th, and did a bit more scouting around. There is a little power in the campground, although I'm not sure of the source. Both the entrance kiosk and the campground reservations building have power, as well as a couple of RV panels for the campground hosts; there's also an RV panel behind the campground reservation building, with a NEMA 5-15 and a 10-30 receptacle, although it's not generally used (the 5-15 had an air quality monitoring instrument hooked up to it while I was there, for the smoke from the big fires). There's a transformer adjacent to the cafe' (west end, between it and the bathrooms, which have 5-15 receptacles) and also one along the east side of the gas station lot. The Visitor Center, Wilderness Permit Center and Ranger Stations also have power, as does Tuolumne Lodge. The x-former near the gas station is only 250kVA IIRR, and I couldn't find any labels on the one near the cafe'/store.

Thanks for the info, GRA. A 10-30 will charge an EV at 24A. And a 250kVa transformer is pretty big! Not SC big, but definitely big enough for a HPWC or 2.
Well, the campground hosts' RV panels with 10-30s/5-15s are out of bounds (I made specific arrangements for a MNL LEAF owner to use one of the 5-15s back in 2012 with the Campground ranger, as part of a test), the 10-30 behind the campground res. office requires at least a 50' extension cord (100' would be better) to access and would be entirely unofficial (it's in an area designated for 'employee parking only'), and the 250 kVA transformer has to run the gas station, so I'd suspect they'd need to upgrade it. So, doable, but requires a fair amount of work.

Last edited:
As an avid skier this supercharger and dual motor version of Model S are the tipping points for me to consider a purchase. I admire the technology but find it hard to justify a $90,000 car for almost exclusively home use. Like many skiers I have a lead foot and can drive to Salt Lake in 9 hours, and don't want to add another ~3 hours to the trip. But Mammoth being 6 hours instead of 5, I can live with that.

The supercharger definitely needs to be at Mammoth, and I'm not surprised it's a higher priority than Lee Vining. The volume of SoCal-Mammoth traffic is far more than the traffic over Tioga Pass. As noted, even with an 80+% charge at Lone Pine, you're barely going to get to Mammoth, especially in the winter. The existing slower chargers in Mammoth are mostly limited to people staying at specific hotels and/or require reservations for a limited number of spaces. And you need to have a decent charge leaving Mammoth for Lone Pine if it's cold.

With continued growth I think we'll see a supercharger closer into the Sierra foothills on the west side and maybe even in Lee Vining eventually. But the ones going up the 395 to Mammoth are the ones that matter most to me.

Like many skiers I have a lead foot and can drive to Salt Lake in 9 hours, and don't want to add another ~3 hours to the trip. But Mammoth being 6 hours instead of 5, I can live with that.
While charging stops do increase the overall travel time, they can't be equated with something that adds to the drive time. Resting en route while picking up some charge is less burdensome than many might think. On the other hand, being stuck in traffic for an extra hour does sap one's energy.

Spending a little extra time resting in places like Lone Pine, with its spectacular views of the High Sierra, or in the lovely environment of Mammoth, doesn't sound bad at all. I'm rather looking forward to it.

While charging stops do increase the overall travel time, they can't be equated with something that adds to the drive time. Resting en route while picking up some charge is less burdensome than many might think. On the other hand, being stuck in traffic for an extra hour does sap one's energy.

Spending a little extra time resting in places like Lone Pine, with its spectacular views of the High Sierra, or in the lovely environment of Mammoth, doesn't sound bad at all. I'm rather looking forward to it.

+14,000