Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Jasper, AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just looked that the supercharger map and it is not saying W4 2021, that would be awesome it they are able to meet that time. However, I am not holding my breath that they will meet that goal as they have missed targets in the past. Also of note they are now showing a supercharger to be going in Edson which is also scheduled for Q4 2021. Looking east if Edmonton to the Saskatchewan there are more locations marked out for Q4 2021 opening. 2021/2022 might be the year that we can drive hwy 16 across the province, here is to hoping.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Funding now provided by NRCAN under Electtric Vehicle Alternative Fuels Deployment Initaitive Phase 2.

QS-NE SEC-16 TWP-045 RGE-01 MER-6, AB (11 stations)

likely, 8 + 3 ccs/chademo
Yes, 8 superchargers + 3 CCS/CHAdeMO. That was the agreement worked out with Jasper as discussed earlier in the thread:

(H/T to Krs1 on SC.info forum for finding this) Here's a link to a Jasper municipal doc that contains the specifics on Tesla's proposal. (see page 25)

My big takeaways are:
  • Project is contingent on a successful grant application.
  • 8 V3 supercharger stalls & 3 CCS/CHAdeMO fast chargers (of unspecified power) all to be supplied/installed by Tesla.
  • Sounds like Tesla would own and operate the CCS/CHAdeMO stations, too. Including covering all the electrical costs.
  • Tesla can charge a fee for use of the chargers.
A bit disappointing that even with municipal approval this is still far from a done deal due to the project's reliance on a successful grant application. It doesn't mention who would be providing the grant, but my guess is NRCan. Also, I think this is the first time that I've heard/seen Tesla proposing to actually install and potentially operate CCS/CHAdeMO charging stations. I know they've paid for/done all the electrical infrastructure work to support DC fast chargers put in by others alongside superchargers before. And they have done exactly what is proposed for Level 2 J1772 stations. But I think this is the first for 3rd party DC fast chargers. I wonder how competitively they'll be priced.

I was looking for updates on this location. It did come up indirectly at last weeks Council meeting, when another party submitted a request to expand their community garden. Looks like plans are moving along finally!

Here is the link to the actual pdf, though below is a quote taken from it.
Considerations:

The Tesla Supercharger initiative, along with one other service provider, is proceeding this summer. The routing for the installation of the conduit and conductors has previously been approved, and the installation of the required transformer makes a community garden expansion to the North-East improbable, if not impossible.

I was looking for updates on this location. It did come up indirectly at last weeks Council meeting, when another party submitted a request to expand their community garden. Looks like plans are moving along finally!

Here is the link to the actual pdf, though below is a quote taken from it.
But no construction has started yet? I am thinking of passing by in June or whenever William's Lake and Cachee Creek are done and turned on.

North Van and Coquitlam are done for a month+ now, but still not turned on :(

Tesla's website indicates planned completion dates for all of the new Yellowhead (Hwy-16 BC-AB-SK including Jasper) as "Q4 2021". That means just in time for Christmas holiday travel, if things go well. Covid is still an issue in Western Canada, which can affect construction schedules.

Cheers!
I'm skeptical about Saskatchewan/Alberta dirt-moving construction in late Q4-early Q1 of any year. The Tesla numbers suggest Q2 2022 (or later) to me.

I'm skeptical about Saskatchewan/Alberta dirt-moving construction in late Q4-early Q1 of any year. The Tesla numbers suggest Q2 2022 (or later) to me.
The locations involved are are far, far below the lattitude where permafrost is an issue. Poring concrete in the Wintertime is done routinely in the prairie provinces. It won't be an issue, they just adjust the concrete mix for the curing temperature.

More of a possible issue is labor (but vacination program should be near complete by Sept) or possibly the permitting process. But looking at how quickly Tesla completed the SuC route on the TransCanada Hwy 1 route last Spring at the height of the pandemic, I have increased continued confidence in their timeline.

Cheers!

Last edited:
The locations involved are are far, far below the lattitude where permafrost is an issue. Poring concrete in the Wintertime is done routinely in the prairie provinces. It won't be an issue, they just adjust the concrete mix for the curing temperature.

More of a possible issue is labor (but vacination program should be near complete by Sept) or possibly the permitting process. But looking at how quickly Tesla completed the SuC route on the TransCanada Hwy 1 route last Spring at the height of the pandemic, I have increased confidence in their timeline.

Cheers!
Transcanada was completed before the pandemic.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Transcanada was completed before the pandemic.
That's right, it was started before the pandemic, and opened just as the pandemic began (Dec 2019).

However, covid won't be an issue for Q4. Construction is largely continuing as normal. It's social gatherings and retail businesses like dine-in restaurants that are restricted by Provincial Governments.

Cheers!

Reactions: Vancity-Tes1a
I’m supposed to go to jasper and golf in early July would be super nice if they had a supercharger there. Even as a city, they don’t have enough destination chargers, and availability and reliability becomes a concern! With the little options they have it becomes hard to plan a trip there when not spending the night.