Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hooksett NH Rest Areas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, WRJ/West Leb and Burlington make the trip a no-brainer (even in a 60), but I'm wondering how you'd do Hooksett->Montreal and back today.

The sad answer is: you can't...

i stopped in Burlington. I am staying over at the Marriott. They have free level 2 chargers. Will stay overnight and will have a fresh full charge in the morning.

When we have a supercharger in Burlington or around there, then there will be no problems.

The mountains kind of cancel each other as far as energy is concerned. It's scary to see your mileage go down as you go up the montains and then it's nice to see you get a lot of it back when you go down the mountains, so it's almost a wash. I did Concord to burlington today with over 87 miles stiil left on the battery and i was going at 70 mph the whole way.

The other "soon to be" solution will be the CHAdeMO adapter. There is a nice quickcharger in Montpellier that would do the trick. A quick 1-2 hours stop would allow you to complete the trip in one day.

But for now... It's a two day thing.

The sad answer is: you can't...

i stopped in Burlington. I am staying over at the Marriott. They have free level 2 chargers. Will stay overnight and will have a fresh full charge in the morning.

When we have a supercharger in Burlington or around there, then there will be no problems.

The mountains kind of cancel each other as far as energy is concerned. It's scary to see your mileage go down as you go up the montains and then it's nice to see you get a lot of it back when you go down the mountains, so it's almost a wash. I did Concord to burlington today with over 87 miles stiil left on the battery and i was going at 70 mph the whole way.

The other "soon to be" solution will be the CHAdeMO adapter. There is a nice quickcharger in Montpellier that would do the trick. A quick 1-2 hours stop would allow you to complete the trip in one day.

But for now... It's a two day thing.

A lot of people going to Montreal from Boston or vice-versa stop at my house for 80A. I'm about half-way between the two but I don't expect to see anybody once Hooksett goes live. You will probably need more than 2 hrs here so the Montpelier CHAdeMO is better and WRJ will be perfect. The nice thing about Hooksett is you can go from there to Burlington, VT where there are more choices for both HPWCs and CHAdeMO, as well as things to do and places to eat.

I'm at southbound now (was at northbound this morning). Still no power. The pedestals are dark, and the meters are blank.

The construction looks done and cleaned up. Transformer and meter are installed on both sides.

Just got off the phone with Tom Keller, Auburn Wiring inspector. There's no problem on his end. He told me that he went on Friday to inspect the service connection and it passed. And the contractor is from Northboro, so no license issues. He said the Tesla rep he spoke with indicated power would be live as of yesterday. They had to do it on Sunday, because it involved shutting down power to parts of Macy's and the mall to make the connection. So, it may be live now. It's only a couple miles from me, so I'm going to pop over there now and see what's up. Tom didn't know if there might be other hold ups involving the Auburn DPU, or National Grid. If it's not up and running, I'll see what I can find out later.
I was thinking about this post on the way home from Hooksett, and wondering if there may be a similar issue there, ie needing to shut down the HV feeder to the complex to connect the transformer. In that case, it's a little harder to schedule, now that the gas pumps and convenience store are open 24/7. I'd guess they'll do it one night when the liquor store is closed, to minimize the impact.

I sure hope so! We've got to get our son back to Dartmouth College this weekend; if Hookset is live, then we take the Tesla; otherwise, the BMW :eek:

I can also confirm they weren't working today (Sat AM). However, if you take Rt 25 to Rt 10 you could almost do the round trip on a single charge. Every time I've driven that route (6 times now) I've beat the ideal (rated) miles by anywhere from 10 to 20% and your car is rated more conservatively than mine. You'd want to plug in somewhere for a little while to be safe, especially because it's winter, but it wouldn't have to be for long. There's more than one 80A charger along the way.

Actually if you do this tomorrow (Sunday) it's supposed to be storming. That would severely impact your range. So don't try it tomorrow, but you might keep it in mind for the future.