Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - El Centro, CA (8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there are two limiting factors for V1, V2, and urban superchargers apparently... the handshake between the supercharger and the car/battery ensures proper kw charging rate for safety of the car AND the supercharger handle also plays a role. the kw rate slows down if the handle gets too hot... iced towels eliminates the handle as a limiting factor and the focus then becomes the car/battery and supercharger bandwidth

Charged on September 29. 46% to 75% in 20 minutes (added 92 miles). No complaints.

The nearby service station bathrooms are closed to the public but the mall was open. Kind of sad to see the amount of trash (food containers) left on the ground near the super chargers.

108 degrees at El Centro and charging stalled at 35kw so I implemented the cooling hack and charging jumped back up to 68kW. It does work!

01D61553-DF1C-4DD7-B75E-317A4198641D.jpeg

Anyone know of any update if the planned added supercharger in el centro will be v3 and if it’s opening anytime soon?
Just went through there on my way to SD and it was a 20 min wait for a spot and an hour charge session with the ice cold wet rag.

Charged here Sunday night around 6 pm - 2-3 other cars there. Good charging speeds (>120 kW). One post wrapped up with tape and not available (1B). Can easily see how an additional 4-8 stalls would be needed here on busy travel days given the gap to San Diego, though another SC halfway between here and San Diego would be more useful.

Reactions: gaswalla
Looks like the 8 temp chargers just went on line. The site is now listed as 16 stalls / 160kw. (Was 8 / 120kw this morning)
The pic early only showed 4 temporary chargers - I wonder where they put the other 4?

Just east in Yuma, they are installing 4 temporary chargers as well, but they are V3 cabinets with 2 posts each, not the V2 cabinets as shown above.

I wonder if the other 4 posts happen to be on V3 cabinets which might explain the 160 kW limit? A single V3 cabinet can do ~350 kW, so if they split power evenly between 2 posts that would be pretty close to 160 kW...

I can only find 4 temp chargers (urban style) that are active. There are only 12 stalls here, so the online number of 16 stalls is incorrect unless they put 4 plugs on the other side of the mall.

Attachments

• 539F1BA1-0C85-40D5-9FC7-2BD080078B25.jpeg
    539F1BA1-0C85-40D5-9FC7-2BD080078B25.jpeg
    449.9 KB · Views: 65
  • DFE9D44C-C904-4C8B-A91F-B5DFE7ECC6A0.jpeg
    DFE9D44C-C904-4C8B-A91F-B5DFE7ECC6A0.jpeg
    447 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: Dave EV and mociaf9
Stating the obvious here, but this existing El Centro site is becoming a regular road trip bottleneck. I passed through in the last week and all stalls were occupied, including the permanent temporary pallet chargers in the second row of parking stalls. I chatted with several other owners who were walking their dogs on the thin strip of grass in front of the spaces and it seemed that nobody was really exceeding 60kW, even at low SOC. Slow speeds, slow stall turnover, crummy bathroom option, etc. This was by far the worst stop on I-8 between Phx and SD. Another driver said he scouted the planned nearby V3 expansion site a few weeks ago, but found nothing to report. This will really become an issue once summer temps and travel ramps up.

With a bit of a tailwind I was able to charge at the new V3 in La Mesa and make it to Yuma. It's probably only 175 miles, but the high speeds and mountains zap the juice...

Reactions: newjacka