Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Corning (6 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hit this SC twice in the last week. First was southbound on Oct 1 and the other was yesterday (the 8th). Things were fine last week, but they had equipment failure since. 1A and 4B were dead. 1A would connect, but not start charging. 4B said the plug wasn't in all the way. The guy on 4A was getting 15KW max. There is a temporary palette on the other side of the transformer so Tesla must know there are problems, though there are no notices. If I had some tape on me I would have put up signs. I tried 1A and 4B because they were the only ones open, then I waited and grabbed 3B when it opened up and warned two people who came in after me before they tried to charge.

Someone who was southbound said there were problems at Grants Pass which was my destination for the night, but when I got there the SC was empty and I had no problems. This was only my second trip to CA in three years of ownership. The SC situation was overall better this time with only Corning having problems. I peaked at 115KW at most SCs including Corning.

• Informative
Reactions: EVCarGUy
Hit issues in the past two weeks as well. Same thing, going north was getting super slow charge rates, tried the urban super charger on the other side but that maxed out at 60 kW (not even the 72 it should be doing). In both cases, ended up at one of the stalls closest to the electrical equipment — going north a driver pulled out as I was doing the dance, while going south I was limited by pairing (though at 70 kW it was still faster than the urban), but as the other person's charge tapered off the rate went up accordingly.

This location is still not doing very well. On Saturday morning in memorial day traffic, there was a ~30-60 minute wait and a broken stall (1B), while the nav reported 2 open stalls and no wait. Everyone on the V2 stalls was getting ~110kW for a few minutes before it dropped to ~50kW. It is unclear whether this is intended behavior due to power sharing or another issue like cable temperature or total site power limitation. It seems to happen regardless of the paired vehicle's charging rate and even when the paired vehicle is unplugged.

Overall, this turned a 20-min stop assuming the full 150kW into 1 hr 20 min between the waiting and slow charging.

I would recommend avoiding if possible. ABRP and Tesla both tend to route here because there is an empty stretch of superchargers on I-5. It's a trap! It is better to charge slowly to a high SoC at a V3 location (Williams, Cottonwood, Anderson, or Redding) than to wait in line for an unreliable V2.

Attachments

• IMG_3918.jpeg
    IMG_3918.jpeg
    1,001.2 KB · Views: 4
This one was totally empty as I drove by an hour ago.
Yeah I’m sure Corning works well at off-peak times, but that does not mean it’s also fine on holiday weekends. Because everyone is charging at 50-60 kW, the Corning location has less ability to absorb a sudden spike of drivers arriving, compared to a fully functioning V3 station.

There are many other options along I-5 so no reason to bang your head against the wall with this one if you don't like it.
This is also my recommendation. However it requires prior knowledge of this location’s issues. If you follow the nav and arrive with low SoC, as I did, you have no choice but to charge here.

This location is still not doing very well. On Saturday morning in memorial day traffic, there was a ~30-60 minute wait and a broken stall (1B), while the nav reported 2 open stalls and no wait. Everyone on the V2 stalls was getting ~110kW for a few minutes before it dropped to ~50kW. It is unclear whether this is intended behavior due to power sharing or another issue like cable temperature or total site power limitation. It seems to happen regardless of the paired vehicle's charging rate and even when the paired vehicle is unplugged.

Overall, this turned a 20-min stop assuming the full 150kW into 1 hr 20 min between the waiting and slow charging.

I would recommend avoiding if possible. ABRP and Tesla both tend to route here because there is an empty stretch of superchargers on I-5. It's a trap! It is better to charge slowly to a high SoC at a V3 location (Williams, Cottonwood, Anderson, or Redding) than to wait in line for an unreliable V2.
Why didn't you just hit 1 of the 20 V3 in Red Bluff? It's only 20 min up the road

Yeah I’m sure Corning works well at off-peak times, but that does not mean it’s also fine on holiday weekends. Because everyone is charging at 50-60 kW, the Corning location has less ability to absorb a sudden spike of drivers arriving, compared to a fully functioning V3 station.

This is also my recommendation. However it requires prior knowledge of this location’s issues. If you follow the nav and arrive with low SoC, as I did, you have no choice but to charge here.
Other than being a v2 (which is noted in the Nav), I don't believe this location has any "issues." What am I missing?