Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burley, ID

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve got a friend/client/cousin-in-law who owns the mall in Heyburn/Burley Annex and I had him submit to host a supercharger spring of 2017. Well, they finally contacted him a couple weeks ago and have done their initial call to discuss terms last week. I know, this is very early stage, but I’ve got the inside scoop so I’ll try to keep updated on progress. It’s in the perfect spot, right off the freeway with lots of restaurants, convenience stores and shopping within short walking distance. I’ve seen other posts wondering why Tesla is putting one here with Twin Falls so close, and I can attest it’s because they’ve had to tow way too many people who didn’t quite make it between Twin Falls and Tremonton, UT. We’ve got a 60D and in the winter we have to draft behind semi’s at 60mph through those passes by Snowville to even make it. Too bad it’ll be at least one more winter before it’s ready.

I've been much more interested in the US highways 95 and 20 to cover Winnemucca and Bend, but I also have experienced this segment of Twin Falls to Tremonton a lot, and I certainly agree that it's a long edge case kind of route. I can do it pretty easily with an S85, but do have to stay in the low-mid 70's mph. I would see that being really tough for a 60, and require a really full charge up to make it.

I found that when playing around on EVTripplanner, you can get the suggested route to flip if you play at the borderline of selecting 85 or 60 car types and moving the speed ratio up or down a little bit. For the 60, it will frequently move the route to go Twin Falls to Pocatello for another Supercharge and then down I-15 to Tremonton.

I've done Twin Falls to Tremonton five times in mild weather in my S60, with 12% battery degradation, and it is fairly easy to do with careful driving. Westbound into a headwind would be very difficult, although I've lucked out with no wind thus far. It would be really tough to do that trip leg in winter, however. Another Supercharger Station in the Heyburn area would be a BIG help!

We frequently drive to Bend from Jackson and while Burns is a nice little town, spending 3 hours there each way is getting a little old. o_O
Well, here's a little tip then for that drive. If you don't want such a very long wait there in Burns, you can go along I-84 farther to Baker City. Then, you get to use another Supercharger, and go over to Bend on U.S. highway 26. The overall route is a little longer distance, but shorter gap between Superchargers and less charging waiting time. However, I would not recommend that one in the dark; it's a little dangerous. That first section off of the interstate from Baker City to Austin, OR on state highway 7 through the mountains is lots of twists and turns of blind curves with no warning signs marking them, so they can really sneak up on you. I was really tired when I did that, though, so that probably didn't help.

This is really exciting for me. I have some friends in Burley, and it’s just in the right place that if I want to go there, I have to drive the extra distance to twin falls to charge and then go back. Then to make it back to tremonton, I would have to go back to twin falls again to top off. It would be possible, just super inconvenient. This is my most anticipated future charging location, and ANY update is appreciated!

Well, here's a little tip then for that drive.

Thanks for the info! Looked at driving via John Day but came to the same conclusion — narrow and windy — so it’s good to know from your experience. Plus I’m so spoiled by autopilot that I prefer flat, straight runs. Although the eastern portion of that drive, Harper to Juntura, is quite scenic. :)

Well, here's a little tip then for that drive. If you don't want such a very long wait there in Burns, you can go along I-84 farther to Baker City. Then, you get to use another Supercharger, and go over to Bend on U.S. highway 26. The overall route is a little longer distance, but shorter gap between Superchargers and less charging waiting time. However, I would not recommend that one in the dark; it's a little dangerous. That first section off of the interstate from Baker City to Austin, OR on state highway 7 through the mountains is lots of twists and turns of blind curves with no warning signs marking them, so they can really sneak up on you. I was really tired when I did that, though, so that probably didn't help.
I drive to Crooked River Ranch (near Terrebone) to visit my sister and the only way I can get there in my S60 is via The Dalles, which is much farther than the direct route. However, she has a 14-50 outlet so I don't have to worry about looking for charging when I get there. Sure would be nice to have a Supercharger Station in Burns or another midpoint between I-84 and Bend!

I prefer the narrow, twisty mountain routes but, of course, I try to drive them only in the day because of the danger of deer on the road (same as at home in my mountains).

I’ve got a friend/client/cousin-in-law who owns the mall in Heyburn/Burley Annex and I had him submit to host a supercharger spring of 2017. Well, they finally contacted him a couple weeks ago and have done their initial call to discuss terms last week. I know, this is very early stage, but I’ve got the inside scoop so I’ll try to keep updated on progress. It’s in the perfect spot, right off the freeway with lots of restaurants, convenience stores and shopping within short walking distance. I’ve seen other posts wondering why Tesla is putting one here with Twin Falls so close, and I can attest it’s because they’ve had to tow way too many people who didn’t quite make it between Twin Falls and Tremonton, UT. We’ve got a 60D and in the winter we have to draft behind semi’s at 60mph through those passes by Snowville to even make it. Too bad it’ll be at least one more winter before it’s ready.

Hey Upinatem, just wanted to check in and see if there was any update on this. A time frame or details or anything like that would be awesome if you have it. Thanks!

Another follow up on this - any updates? Half way through 2019 and I'm starting to wonder if it will get pushed back another year.
I have been thinking of checking on this in the past few weeks, but I live in Boise, so it's about a 2.5 hour drive over there, so it would use up about half a day on a Saturday for the round trip to go check on it. It would be nice if @upinatem would log back in and give some info.

Reactions: camthehombre
As much as I'd love to see some progress, I doubt there will be anything to see. If @upinatem was willing to share the original info, I feel they would post about any updated they'd heard. I really hope I'm wrong and wish we got some more info from them and the person that was originally in contact with Tesla about this location.

If @upinatem was willing to share the original info, I feel they would post about any updated they'd heard.
I don't see that as very certain. We've been asking for an update on this since December 2018, and the original poster has not even checked in to respond in any way, so I would think he or she has not been back to check in on this thread to say "no progress" or anything. And furthermore, it was a secondhand report from a "friend/client/cousin-in-law", so that may not have come back around through another meeting and conversation again to get that information back through the chain of people to here yet.

• Disagree
Reactions: upinatem
I don't see that as very certain. We've been asking for an update on this since December 2018, and the original poster has not even checked in to respond in any way, so I would think he or she has not been back to check in on this thread to say "no progress" or anything. And furthermore, it was a secondhand report from a "friend/client/cousin-in-law", so that may not have come back around through another meeting and conversation again to get that information back through the chain of people to here yet.
Valid point. I guess I was just hoping for an update by now. Either way, I hope we see some progress soon!