Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange outgassing odor? -23 MSLR- Please help identify the cause

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming up on 1 year of ownership on my ‘23 MSLR with 3800 miles. Charged to 80% today at a local SC station, no issues. Drove an additional 20 miles and returned home with vehicle parked in my garage. After a short while my entire garage is reeking from a strange cologne-like odor (something like antifreeze?) which appears strongest at the passenger side front and rear wheel wells. All brake rotors are cool to the touch. No alerts on the main display. No fluids leaking. Outside temperatures 35-40F all day. Update: Outgassing odor still going strong after 6 hours, while still parked in a confined space (garage). No odors inside the vehicle. Anyone have a clue what’s going on? Thanks in advance!

In addition I’ve noticed the cabin cooling fan has been running even though the climate / venting is off. As such, this is considered normal behavior when ambient temperatures are high. Seems likely this anomaly is related to a coolant issue….?

Last edited:
Define 'major'. I think you can lose over a liter before an alert appears. I'm not sure how sensitive your nose is, could you smell a half-life of coolant sloshing around?

Also the cap is designed to allow overflow if the coolant reservoir is overfilled.

I would first off check service mode for any alerts pertaining to the thermal system. Then pull off the frunk panels and check the coolant level.

• Informative
Reactions: mm9351 and aerodyne
Interestingly the Tesla service rep believes that the odor is noticeable while driving and not parked. I explained it’s mostly noticeable in a closed garage, just sitting there in park. I used to work in an environmental lab, and to me it smells like ‘brine’ (which is essentially a coolant sourced from orange peels). So I’m not sold on the gearbox fluid. Furthermore the service center is backed up so my appointment is over a week away.

Just checked the coolant level. It definitely appears low, just slightly above the minimum level. Per the Tesla website the coolant is blue and has a characteristic sweet smell. Will report back with the service center findings.

IMG_1187.jpeg

Reactions: DerbyDave
Update: I logged into the Tesla app to book a service appointment, and surprisingly a message appears “Gearbox fluid service recommended, detected 2/3/24.” Now I believe this is the root cause. So I needed to check the service app before I see an alert in the vehicle?

There is no service recommended for DU gear fluid and there's no level sensor in the DU gear box.

• Informative
Reactions: mm9351
Maybe they can detect the load on the electric oil pump in the DU? If coolant entered the DU, it could change the viscosity of the oil. There is a vent at the top of the DU where hot coolant vapors could escape / condense.
And this would explain the strong scent emanating from the vent(s). Does each DU have its own oil pump? If so, I'm supposing that the rear unit might be at fault due to the stronger odor at that location. Hoping that Tesla can pressurize the coolant system and rule out any other leaks. Full diagnosis awaits until my service visit next week. And to offset any further damage I have stopped driving my MS (have other ICE transportation available :rolleyes:), I greatly appreciate everyone's advice.

Last edited:
And this would explain the strong scent emanating from the vent(s). Does each DU have its own oil pump? If so, I'm supposing that the rear unit might be at fault due to the stronger odor at that location. Hoping that Tesla can pressurize the coolant system and rule out any other leaks. Full diagnosis awaits until my service visit next week. I greatly appreciate the advice.
Yes, each drive unit has its own oil pump. They can sample the DU fluid by the drain plug to check for coolant contamination.

• Informative
Reactions: mm9351