Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange Charging Behavior after first Supercharge - Overheating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

New forum member here (and newer Tesla owner). I picked up a Model 3 Performance in late June and just took my first long trip in the car yesterday. First time supercharging went well. I went from 14% SOC to about 50% with no issues.

When I arrived home I used my wall charger (that I have been using for about a month now, 60A circuit, and configured as such) for a quick top up and went to the grocery store. When I arrived home for the evening I plugged the car back in, and within a matter of 30 seconds or so it was charging at the normal 48A. It said it would be finished charging in about 3 hours.

After about 3 hours I noticed I didn't get the charging finished notification. I looked at the app and it was only charging at 24A. In the garage I saw the three flashing red lights that I looked up meant overheating. I unplugged the charger, turned off the breaker to it, let it "cool off" for about an hour, and plugged it back in. The charger would try to ramp up to full amperage. It would get to about 17A and then go back to 0A and repeat this process over and over (Voltage hovered around 240v - 238v during this time). I then took out my mobile charger and plugged it into where my dryer is plugged in (have used it in the past just fine). It was doing the same exact behavior. I then resorted to trickle charging the car off of 120v without issue for about an hour.

I then decided to go drive the car a mile a way where a free destination charger is. It was able to charge at 40A without issue. What!?! So then I drove it back home, plugged in my wall charger, and it worked fine as well up to 48A and topped off the car in about an hour.

I have a service appointment scheduled for next Monday. But I'm at a loss as to what happened.

Likely issue is thermally induced, it steps down current when temps get too high.

If you can, check the display for any alerts when it steps down.

My bet: Something is loose on your main outlet that you use for charging. It heats up, heating up the plug on the charger, which has a temperature sensor and tells the charger it's too hot and steps down the allowed current.

Do you have a friend that's an electrician?

Hello all,

New forum member here (and newer Tesla owner). I picked up a Model 3 Performance in late June and just took my first long trip in the car yesterday. First time supercharging went well. I went from 14% SOC to about 50% with no issues.

When I arrived home I used my wall charger (that I have been using for about a month now, 60A circuit, and configured as such) for a quick top up and went to the grocery store. When I arrived home for the evening I plugged the car back in, and within a matter of 30 seconds or so it was charging at the normal 48A. It said it would be finished charging in about 3 hours.

After about 3 hours I noticed I didn't get the charging finished notification. I looked at the app and it was only charging at 24A. In the garage I saw the three flashing red lights that I looked up meant overheating. I unplugged the charger, turned off the breaker to it, let it "cool off" for about an hour, and plugged it back in. The charger would try to ramp up to full amperage. It would get to about 17A and then go back to 0A and repeat this process over and over (Voltage hovered around 240v - 238v during this time). I then took out my mobile charger and plugged it into where my dryer is plugged in (have used it in the past just fine). It was doing the same exact behavior. I then resorted to trickle charging the car off of 120v without issue for about an hour.

I then decided to go drive the car a mile a way where a free destination charger is. It was able to charge at 40A without issue. What!?! So then I drove it back home, plugged in my wall charger, and it worked fine as well up to 48A and topped off the car in about an hour.

I have a service appointment scheduled for next Monday. But I'm at a loss as to what happened.

The handle just got hot and it slowed down the charging. There's nothing wrong with the car or your wall charger. It's the summer time and it can happen. had this happen to me the other day. Noticed that there was a red blinking light on the wall charger.

Sorry I'm getting back so late.
So I've seen the threads on the overheating, but my car started acting weird from other charging sources until I charged it somewhere else.

I called Tesla home charging, they asked pretty typical questions about electrical load on the house, did the lights dim at any point, was the wire 6 gage, etc. They are sending me another gen3 charger and mentioned I should keep my service appointment next week.

Will see how it goes.

I had the same issue with my 4 week old Tesla Wall connector and my car could charge no faster than 12 amps without overheating. I had the latest software and next called Tesla. They looked at my charging logs online and determined I had a faulty TWC. They replaced it with no cost to me. Call 510-249-2490 option 2 to get connected to the right department.