Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stop comparing Model 3 to Chevy Bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree with your analogy. Comparing an iPhone to a microwave doesn't make sense because they are intended for different purposes. Why would one compare a Bolt to a Model 3?
1. They are both cars and are made for the same purpose.
2. They are reasonably close in price.
3. They are reasonably close in range.
4. They are reasonably close in people carrying capacity.
5. They are both electric vehicles.

Now, do I think the M3 will be better than the Bolt. Yup. No question, but saying that it's silly to compare them... is well... silly.

-Jim

I do not allow staff to have speakers on their computers, so I don't either. I use CC instead of audio.

Here's what we can be certain of at this time:

The Bolt is front wheel drive, has a 63" height, and taller seating position than most sedans.
It is the current (har) king of the sub-$60k BEVs in pretty much all respects. California Bolts can be acquired for about $28k to $34k depending on options, after all taxes, fees, and rebates, Out-The-Door.

We know the Tesla Model 3 will not be as tall, and will be RWD. Performance testing by neutral agents has not been performed. OTD pricing has not been established. Option list has not been established.

I disagree with your analogy. Comparing an iPhone to a microwave doesn't make sense because they are intended for different purposes. Why would one compare a Bolt to a Model 3?
1. They are both cars and are made for the same purpose.
2. They are reasonably close in price.
3. They are reasonably close in range.
4. They are reasonably close in people carrying capacity.
5. They are both electric vehicles.

Now, do I think the M3 will be better than the Bolt. Yup. No question, but saying that it's silly to compare them... is well... silly.

-Jim

Right. They ARE intended for different purposes - that's my whole point!

Reactions: Pkmmte
I do not allow staff to have speakers on their computers, so I don't either. I use CC instead of audio.

Here's what we can be certain of at this time:

The Bolt is front wheel drive, has a 63" height, and taller seating position than most sedans.
It is the current (har) king of the sub-$60k BEVs in pretty much all respects. California Bolts can be acquired for about $28k to $34k depending on options, after all taxes, fees, and rebates, Out-The-Door.

We know the Tesla Model 3 will not be as tall, and will be RWD. Performance testing by neutral agents has not been performed. OTD pricing has not been established. Option list has not been established.

Tough boss. But yeah, I did not do the CC for the video - it's YouTube that tries to automatically guess what I'm saying and they are not good with the accents :) BTW, how in the world can I get an avatar over here?

Not sure what makes you think the M3 is not similar to the Chevy Bolt. They are clearly in the same class, price, range, etc. I assume you are simply saying this to prove you have been indoctrinated into the Tesla fan club, and are not in fact, serious. And yes, I assume the M3 will be an overall better car in terms of features, but potentially inferior in terms of build quality.

Reactions: Eclectic
Right. They ARE intended for different purposes - that's my whole point!

And that's why I disagree.
They are NOT for different purposes - they are both BEV!

As currently, there are only a handful of BEV models available, there are many potential buyers who would like at all the options available - and yes, they will decide between Model 3 and Bolt.
And that's why your analogy of iPhone vs Microwave is not valid - would anyone looking to buy an iPhone end up buying a microwave instead? NO!
But I am sure there are buyers who have given up waiting for the Model 3 and end up buying a Bolt instead.

For a video proclaiming that people shouldn't be comparing a Model 3 and Bolt, it spends a lot of time doing a point-by-point comparison between the Model 3 and the Bolt.

Quite a lot in common...
its a car
has 4 wheels
seats 5
has 5 doors (technically the 3 has 6 if you include the front bonnet)
is electric
has a range of >220miles
is a similar price
is a similar length/width.
Bolt has 2 screens (Something Elon keeps saying is a premium feature of the S), hatchback to fit a bike or large box,first to market.

Reactions: oktane
Something that has not been mentioned much is a Tesla guru's (Bjorn) actual test of a Bolt. 292 miles with 30km left in South Korea with 3 people:
He mentions quite often it has no in-dash dedicated NAV, but he doesn't mention the US Bolts have OnStar, Apple, and Android integration for nav, with OnStar being a hands-free concierge NAV system. "Hey! I do not see the restaurant, did I get the name wrong, what else is around here?" does not work with in dash nav, especially while driving and running hands-free. It works in OnStar though.

I see the Bolt as a utilitarian vehicle, like a hatchback with folding seats that is easier to clean kid puke out of than some cars. It even has tablet holders for keeping the rear passengers entertained (optional), and roof rails, as well as an optional carry rear hitch.

I expect my Model 3 to be closer to a small RWD sport sedan, like a BMW/Audi/MB. Not sure I'd choose it for a heavy duty daily kidmobile. And to be honest, while I'm a huge RWD fan, FWD is probably a better choice for those in snow states and is more forgiving in panic maneuvers for average drivers.

I see the two cars attracting a different buyer, with only a portion cross-shopping. My kids are grown, but I'd pick the Bolt for kids, but the Model 3 for my personal use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eclectic
Alex, the points I heard made in your 11 minute 47 second video could have been clearly and concisely expressed in 600 words of text that I could have read in one minute. At the 8 minute point in your video I stopped it. While I agree with many -- though not all -- of your points I heard nothing I haven't heard before on TMC.

So why make a video of yourself talking with no visuals to illustrate the points you were making? Write them out in a succinct form and post them so people who want to respond can quote them and add their comments. That is more conducive to an online discussion format.

It's too early to compare Tesla Model 3 reservations (which by the way are less than 400,000, you mentioned "500,000") to Bolt sales, since the Bolt has been selling for just a few months, and Model 3 reservations are not sales.

Those are my "thoughts".