Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For amputees they are. Amputees don't have hands. Why would a joystick ever work?
My point was that I don't see how a steering wheel is any better. If you have enough control to rotate a steering wheel, you have enough to manipulate a joystick. In some cases, the joystick seems like it would be better, because it requires less range of gross motion, and can be located wherever it needs to be for the user to reach it.
I'm not an amputee, so I don't actually know, I'm just speculating. Ultimately, my point was that it seems pointless to say you can't deviate from the one established control design because the change might not work for some small set of the population. You're just as likely to have a set for which the current system doesn't work and the change does. What's needed is flexibility.

Technically speaking, one big advantage with a steering wheel is that it sits symmetric to the driver so when driver keeps both hands on the wheel the rotation forces are self opposing in nature. Therefore, it is very immune to involuntary rotation whenever the car goes over unexpected bumps or uneven road.

In contrast, try imagine what would happen if you go over an unexpected pothole at 70mph with one hand on the joystick :)

• Informative
Reactions: Topher
My point was that I don't see how a steering wheel is any better. If you have enough control to rotate a steering wheel, you have enough to manipulate a joystick. In some cases, the joystick seems like it would be better, because it requires less range of gross motion, and can be located wherever it needs to be for the user to reach it.
I'm not an amputee, so I don't actually know, I'm just speculating. Ultimately, my point was that it seems pointless to say you can't deviate from the one established control design because the change might not work for some small set of the population. You're just as likely to have a set for which the current system doesn't work and the change does. What's needed is flexibility.
I understand what you are saying. Thanks for the clarification.