Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel offset right of center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

coleAK

Oct 23, 2018
Alaska
so have 100 miles on my 3 AWD LR. My steering wheel is turned about 10 degrees right of center when going straight. I called Tesla and they told me to make sure the software was up to date and drive it for 50 miles and it should calibrate and be straight. It tracks straight when I take my hands off the wheel so dont think it’s alignment.

I’ve searched the forum and seen some mention of this on model 3 and X without any clear answer of how it is fixed. Anyone else have this and had it fixed? I’m going to call Tesla again Monday.

Mine is perfectly centered. I had seen this issue on the forums so I asked a Ranger last week how it gets resolved as the steering wheel itself is not adjustable (I confirmed this as I watched him replace my steering module). He stated that an alignment is how the steering wheel angle gets adjusted. Even though you are tracking straight, the alignment is off if your wheel is cockeyed.

Reactions: David99
Mine is perfectly centered, in terms of rotation. If yours isn't, it's most likely the service center will fix it easily as others have said.

But.

Look closely at the position, left and right, of the steering wheel and column relative to the driver seat. You will find that the steering wheel is not perfectly centered in front of the driver seat, but rather is offset perhaps an inch or less, to the left. I think this is a (irritating) design flaw.

(As I understand from some discussion of so elsewhere, it is not unique to Tesla either; for various reasons there are other cars where the steering wheel is not quite perfectly centered in front of the driver seat.)

so have 100 miles on my 3 AWD LR. My steering wheel is turned about 10 degrees right of center when going straight. I called Tesla and they told me to make sure the software was up to date and drive it for 50 miles and it should calibrate and be straight. It tracks straight when I take my hands off the wheel so dont think it’s alignment.

I’ve searched the forum and seen some mention of this on model 3 and X without any clear answer of how it is fixed. Anyone else have this and had it fixed? I’m going to call Tesla again Monday.

My wheel was 5 deg left of center at delivery. When I was having the drivers headlight replaced for the LED signature fault early on they also did a 4 wheel alignment centering the steering wheel and drove it to recalibrate the cameras. Fine for 7k since.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: coleAK