Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Staggered Tires - Rotation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I scheduled Tesla to come rotate the tires on my Model S (staggered, plaid) and the technician called me the day before trying to talk me out of it. I asked that they at least come take a look...a different tech came out to the house, said the tires are wearing evenly (they were 5 and 6 front/back I think) and said no need to rotate the tires on a staggered car.

Seems weird, since it directly contradicts the manual, but that was my experience.

Side to side rotation does nothing for you. The tread is still in the same position, ie inner tire wear will still be there, just on the other side of the car. The only way to extend the life of the tires is by unmounting them and flipping, assuming you have non-directional/asymmetrical tread pattern.

Reactions: RandyS
Since the rear tires are wider than the front, I've read you can't put them on the front without risking rubbing when turning at full stop.
going from left to right only reverses the tread pattern which potentially cause less traction on wet roadways.
Performance tires generally only have one way the tire should rotate for optimal traction.

Aside from the rotation recommendations here, I would also recommend going to a third party alignment shop that can tell you specifiaclly what your rear suspension measurements are. I've had a Model S in the past and had to install adjustable camber arms to help mitigate the extreme negative camber that it had. Just got a used 2021 Model X from Tesla and one side of the rear measured -2.89 degrees (negative) camber!!!!!!!! Holy cow! The other was just below that...I ordered Unplugged Performance adjustable camber arms immediately and will get them installed ASAP to help the rear tires avoid the inner wear that is so common on these cars....