Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR downgrade finally coming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of all the (surprisingly few) features they're going to disable, Tesla might want to reconsider stripping the SRs of the fog lamps - if someone in a software-locked SR were in a serious accident in foggy weather it would look bad, to put it mildly. Even if the absence of fog lamps would not have made a difference the press would jump on it as another "Tesla is trying to kill you" story. Limiting luxury or convenience features is one thing, intentionally disabling an item that's there for safety is another matter.
There are a ton of cars that have foglights as an option....

Your logic makes no sense

• Love
Reactions: Leafdriver333
You didn't pay for 'vegan leather', heated seats and the nice center console!

Um..yes I did. :) maybe not when comparing to the SR "concept" that never came to be, but when it was announced and priced as off-menu, those features were clearly included in the price. What was clearly not included were: heated rear seats, fog lights, 20 miles less range, and slower acceleration. It was made very clear that these would be removed, so I'm not upset about that at all...I would be upset if they removed more than what they said when i purchased the vehicle

“..I would be upset if they removed more than what they said when i purchased the vehicle”

Bingo! That’s what the majority who are upset are talking about. They may not read forums, research Tesla’s next decision or changes, ect. They made a purchase decision based on what the dealership told them. Pure and simple, the email sent out had more listed deletions than people were told. Auto Pilot deletion and lowered Range is what the Nashville dealer was telling people. Nothing more. Well now Tesla is saying more is to be deleted. A second round of deletions... will there be a third? Fourth?

“..I would be upset if they removed more than what they said when i purchased the vehicle”

Bingo! That’s what the majority who are upset are talking about. They may not read forums, research Tesla’s next decision or changes, ect. They made a purchase decision based on what the dealership told them. Pure and simple, the email sent out had more listed deletions than people were told. Auto Pilot deletion and lowered Range is what the Nashville dealer was telling people. Nothing more. Well now Tesla is saying more is to be deleted. A second round of deletions... will there be a third? Fourth?
I'm a firm believer in people, so I think you didn't know what you were buying at all and you had no idea about the TESLA way since people "may not read forums, research Tesla’s next decision or changes, ect. They made a purchase decision based on what the dealership told them", and you believed 100% the delaer without asking to see potential proof.

Even if I believe in people, it looks to me such behavior is a little strange.

ironic mode on
For those that trust 100% what a dealership says without asking for written proof, may you please PM me I have a very good offer, I'm the owner of the Empire State Building and I'm the one that collect all the money from the tourists so it's a very god business. Luckily for me I made enough money and now would like to sell it and this looks like the right forum. You can book the rights to buy for a very reasonable amount.
ironic mode off

You don't often see someone admit to this on an internet forum... ;)

RT

I disagree.
You know everything.
If you don't know everything, i know nothing.
Say it ain't so!!!!

Problem is when you do know something, you will find those who will disagree because they hate your statement, regardless of truthfulness.

Look at this gem of a thread that turned out to be quite true:

Performance Model 3 is too cheap - about to drop some truth bombs.

Oh, and I messed up a Mod's vacation because I made a disparaging comment about California and how awful it is for manufacturing.
He got slammed with so many reports I had to self censor myself for a bit.

For some reason, people think California is great at manufacturing. I disputed this and I got called out for having no education in Economics besides high school. I offered to produce my degree along with a wager (Degree NOT from Trump University). Crickets.

Months later at the Model Y reveal - Elon said GF3 would never of happened if it had to be built in California.
<laughter from Elon> <laughter from room>

Da fuq. Elon says it, its gospel. I say it, I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I'm a firm believer in people, so I think you didn't know what you were buying at all and you had no idea about the TESLA way since people "may not read forums, research Tesla’s next decision or changes, ect. They made a purchase decision based on what the dealership told them", and you believed 100% the delaer without asking to see potential proof.

Even if I believe in people, it looks to me such behavior is a little strange.

ironic mode on
For those that trust 100% what a dealership says without asking for written proof, may you please PM me I have a very good offer, I'm the owner of the Empire State Building and I'm the one that collect all the money from the tourists so it's a very god business. Luckily for me I made enough money and now would like to sell it and this looks like the right forum. You can book the rights to buy for a very reasonable amount.
ironic mode off

With the absence of truthful people working at Tesla dealers, I guess people should rely on paperwork to show what options the car has (window sticker). Oh wait..... that clearly shows heated seats and 240 miles of range! I guess now we can’t trust Tesla employees OR the paperwork that comes with the car. What else do we put or trust in?

Tesla is fast becoming a company you have to be careful in your dealings with. That is a sad statement. To be successful, a company desperately need the trust of the populace.

Reactions: sceptic
I waited years to be able to logon into design center and buy the SR, 35k is my limit when buying a car. The day came back in March and we were able to continue with the process. Then the Delivery message came across followed by a phone call from Fremont a few days later stating that the delivery message was a computer automated message and that the SR would not be here at that date. This is when he up sold me into the SR+ model. At that time the SR+ went up in price 3% but he gave it to me for the lesser price before the raise, also this was a week before the Auto Pilot which I don’t need. The SR+ with Multi-Coat Red Tax & License Out the door was 40k. I am very happy with the Plus and with the semi-Premium options it came with. I had the connectivity package for 10 minutes once which included Sat Nav, Streaming & Browser. That was really nice to have. I spoke with the Service Center and they told me that the Connectivity package will be coming out soon for purchase, possibly by Sept. maybe for the 3rd Qtr earnings report and that it could be a monthly service.

Fred

With the absence of truthful people working at Tesla dealers, I guess people should rely on paperwork to show what options the car has (window sticker). Oh wait..... that clearly shows heated seats and 240 miles of range! I guess now we can’t trust Tesla employees OR the paperwork that comes with the car. What else do we put or trust in?

Tesla is fast becoming a company you have to be careful in your dealings with. That is a sad statement. To be successful, a company desperately need the trust of the populace.

I guess you might have preferred waiting months to get a SR version already software limited then? Because the software apparently wasn't ready or maybe the accounts not set up for this at the time they decided to deliver waiting buyers a SR+ and process it later. Somehow I think the vast majority of the people who ordered a SR and the more limited set of features compared to the SR+'s aren't complaining about it and understood what would eventually happen, and likely loved the fact they got their car earlier than later. Some posts here seem to indicate they appreciated that it has given them a chance to see what they might want to pay to activate later.

I think people who saw they weren't getting the basic SR version and are having a problem with this should have just refused delivery until Tesla could have delivered the software limited version to them. And maybe Tesla could have made up a small batch of cloth manual positioning seats too while everyone waited. They do make the seats inhouse. I guess Tesla trusted that people would be happy getting a car earlier than later. Guess they got fooled.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jrcase and Talax74
My apologies, the documents are the order agreement as known as "Model 3 Motor Vehicle Order Agreement", this is the paperwork people should refer to because it's what they ordered, the sticker is not
Oh wait, probably this persons had it, then they saw they got more than what they ordered and didn't ask to get what they ordered, but accepted to have a little more, during the 7 days never came to the mind of the person to bring back the car because they don't know if they'll like what they'll get.

Such unfair I got what I ordered (BTW I don't know what I bought)!

I understand being frugal, but also complaining when you get what your order contract promised is a little too much.
Here there are 2 main excuses people are using:
1) I don't know what I bought, I trusted the dealer -> I believe people are better than this, if not the Empire States Building is still up for sale
2) On the sticker there's more so I want it all -> I can't believe persons so informed about the sticker are so naive to believe the dealer. I believe people knows exactly what they ordered, what they received and how to complain. Or maybe those persons are just trolls and I'm wasting my time.

There are a ton of cars that have foglights as an option....

Your logic makes no sense
How many of them already had fog lights installed and working only to have the manufacturer intentionally turn them off later? Again, my logic is if someone is in an accident in foggy weather and the fog lights have been intentionally disabled the press will rake Tesla over the coals.

How many of them already had fog lights installed and working only to have the manufacturer intentionally turn them off later? Again, my logic is if someone is in an accident in foggy weather and the fog lights have been intentionally disabled the press will rake Tesla over the coals.
lol they are not "intentionally disabled" the buyer didn't pay for them. It's on the buyer, not Tesla.

Reactions: Leafdriver333

If you buy the car with the fog lights option then you'll get them enabled, if you don't then no, you didn't pay for them. Welcome to the world of software enabled cars. You pay to play! Seems like this is going to be a difficult concept for people. You want more battery on your SR at some point (and since the car was built to SR+ standards where that is an option for the software limited SR version), you'll be able to pay to get the extra mile that the SR+ has.

I think you have a good point.
So your point is not about the owner/driver or a legal problem.
What you’re noting is a marketing problem., the press could go all the way with click bait articles about Tesla jeopardizing the life of the drivers since it took away safety features and so on.
I can see that happening easily and the image damage would be bigger than living the fog lights.

I think you have a good point.
So your point is not about the owner/driver or a legal problem.
What you’re noting is a marketing problem., the press could go all the way with click bait articles about Tesla jeopardizing the life of the drivers since it took away safety features and so on.
I can see that happening easily and the image damage would be bigger than living the fog lights.

Exactly, though I wouldn't rule potential legal issues for Tesla in addition to bad press. Bottom line, they stand to lose a lot more than they might gain in revenue for a handful of upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.