Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify Audio Quality vs Slacker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
v10 added 48khz sampling via BT. That helps a ton.
What makes you think that? To my knowledge all the major streaming services use 44kHz sampling rate, as do music files purchased e.g. from iTunes or Amazon or ripped from CD (which also uses 44kHz). Phones will not resample that to 48kHz as there would be no benefit in doing so. There might be a tiny benefit if you have music files with 48kHz sampling rate from somewhere.

What makes you think that? To my knowledge all the major streaming services use 44kHz sampling rate, as do music files purchased e.g. from iTunes or Amazon or ripped from CD (which also uses 44kHz). Phones will not resample that to 48kHz as there would be no benefit in doing so. There might be a tiny benefit if you have music files with 48kHz sampling rate from somewhere.

Because the aptX codec is native at 48kHz. No matter the source sample, it’s going to be transcoded using the codec. Better sample rate - native sample rate - will help a ton. It’s coming - Apple is pushing 48kHz big time for source format, so we’ll start seeing it everywhere soon ...

Because the aptX codec is native at 48kHz. No matter the source sample, it’s going to be transcoded using the codec. Better sample rate - native sample rate - will help a ton. It’s coming - Apple is pushing 48kHz big time for source format, so we’ll start seeing it everywhere soon ...
This is not accurate. AptX supports a range of sampling rates, including 44kHz. But it does not matter in this case since Tesla does not support AptX anyway (it supports SBC and AAC over BT).

Reactions: mtndrew1
This is not accurate. AptX supports a range of sampling rates, including 44kHz. But it does not matter in this case since Tesla does not support AptX anyway (it supports SBC and AAC over BT).

sure; of course it supports 44.1 like everything else in the world. But 48 is now also native and that’s a good thing. Most digital production is now done at 48 and downsamples to 44.1. And yes - you’re right, I was thinking of AAC and not aptX. My apologies.

sure; of course it supports 44.1 like everything else in the world. But 48 is now also native and that’s a good thing. Most digital production is now done at 48 and downsamples to 44.1. And yes - you’re right, I was thinking of AAC and not aptX. My apologies.
If you actually have native 48kHz music sources, there might be a *tiny* difference since you no longer have to resample (although I doubt very much that you could tell the difference unless you're a bat ;)). But the vast majority of consumer music formats use 44kHz today.

If you actually have native 48kHz music sources, there might be a *tiny* difference since you no longer have to resample (although I doubt very much that you could tell the difference unless you're a bat ;)). But the vast majority of consumer music formats use 44kHz today.

absolutely true - it’s not so much telling the difference between 44.1 and 48kHz - my ears wont know the difference. But much of the merchant silicon DACs and ADCs are only 48khz native; they have to dither down to 44.1.
I don’t know nearly enough about Tesla’s audio componentry but any chance we have to avoid noise injection, I’m all for it.
Should reduce some of the background noise - and on a system as good as the Model 3’s, it’ll make a difference. I can hear details in audio that I haven’t heard in years; and I’ve got enough high end hearing loss from data center work over the years to not hear much detail.

I don’t know nearly enough about Tesla’s audio componentry but any chance we have to avoid noise injection, I’m all for it.
Should reduce some of the background noise - and on a system as good as the Model 3’s, it’ll make a difference.
Honestly, I don't buy this at all. No matter how good the speaker system, a car is a noisy and acoustically less than optimal environment, and whatever small amount of difference the resampling might make will be orders of magnitude lower. Frankly, the whole idea of audiophile audio formats in a car sounds a bit ridiculous to me. If you want to enjoy every nuance, sit down with high-quality headphones in a quiet room.

IMHO, Pandora has both of these streaming apps beaten soundly. ...My only caveat to Pandora is that I need to connect to it via bluetooth with my iPhone and, as such, the sound quality is not up there with those that use streaming directly to the Tesla.

I agree on Pandora, though Spotify has a better quality sound when listening on great speakers. Except when mangled thru bluetooth...
Sound quality should be front and center with a sound system on an amazing car line like this. So very disappointing.

Frankly, the whole idea of audiophile audio formats in a car sounds a bit ridiculous to me. If you want to enjoy every nuance, sit down with high-quality headphones in a quiet room.
The format is one thing, but you must also have the right system in the car. The Tesla system (even the Premium) cannot deliver that. If you're ever down in Orange County, look me up and I will demonstrate what I'm talking about.

I don't listen to any of the streaming music services simply because they simply can't provide quality sound.

The format is one thing, but you must also have the right system in the car. The Tesla system (even the Premium) cannot deliver that. If you're ever down in Orange County, look me up and I will demonstrate what I'm talking about.

I don't listen to any of the streaming music services simply because they simply can't provide quality sound.

I like using Tidal, since it can do lossless streaming. It's 16b, 44.1 streaming works well. And its accessible everywhere except inside our Tesla's lol.

No matter how good your system is, a car will always be a compromised listening environment. I know that some people are having fun with upgraded audio systems, big bass etc., but don't pretend it's "audiophile".

No matter how good your system is, a car will always be a compromised listening environment. I know that some people are having fun with upgraded audio systems, big bass etc., but don't pretend it's "audiophile".
It's audiophile, whether you chose to believe it or not. You're forming an uneducated opinion unless you've heard it.

Is it as good as a home listening environment? Of course not. But
  1. It is still audiophile quality
  2. I do a lot of listening while not driving.

It's audiophile, whether you chose to believe it or not. You're forming an uneducated opinion unless you've heard it.

Is it as good as a home listening environment? Of course not. But
  1. It is still audiophile quality
  2. I do a lot of listening while not driving.
Well, I guess we have a different definition of "audiophile". At home I have a system that costs more than some cars, so I think I have a pretty good idea what good sound is.

Well, I guess we have a different definition of "audiophile". At home I have a system that costs more than some cars, so I think I have a pretty good idea what good sound is.

Does someone buying a more expensive car inherently mean they know more about cars than the next guy?

Does someone buying a more expensive house inherently mean they know more about houses than the next guy?

Does someone paying more for a steak inherently mean they know more about food than the next guy?

If not, why is that concept magically somehow true for audio equipment?

Where do you see this or confirmed? The release notes state that album art integration over BT is only iOS. Nothing about 48 kHz being iOS only. If youre on android, enable developer setting, then change the BT Audio codec to AAC and BT sample rate to 48 kHz. However, like others have mentioned, you likely wont even notice a difference since most music is in 44 kHz

My understanding is that 48 kHz is only for via AAC Bluetooth streaming which is primarily iOS.

Android connects to the car via the lower quality SBC codec for Bluetooth audio streaming.

As far as I can tell, when streaming music via Bluetooth to a Tesla, an iOS device with an Apple Music subscription is the best bet for sound quality.

Apple Music is natively encoded in AAC, the iOS device plays it in AAC, and the Bluetooth steam to the car is AAC. There should be minimal loss in this process beyond the original encoding from Apple.

I believe Android is MP3 or Ogg transcoded to SBC then sent to the car, then of course SBC has lower audio quality than AAC in the first place. Plenty of conversions to weaken sound quality to the car when using an Android device.

Does someone buying a more expensive car inherently mean they know more about cars than the next guy?
If you've driven nothing but Honda Civics in your life, you don't know what it's like to drive a Porsche. So yes, I'd say that is true.

If anything, spending money on expensive audio equipment should demonstrate a certain appreciation for high quality audio reproduction, rather than an "uneducated opinion" as the previous poster wrote.