Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Spoiler Alert + Mild Speculation] Tesla has created a monster!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course, it's possible the reason Tesla shows 310 miles range for the long range AWD version is simply that they haven't built any yet.

We do know the prototype builds at the initial reveals were dual motor so while they haven't built any production AWD cars (that we know of) Tesla does have some information on range.
Of course until they test range on a dual motor production car we'll just have to keep speculating.

Reactions: Visscher
Let's remember that this is a government worker filled out form... I used to be one and I can tell you that virtually no USG produced form doesn't have some sort of typo / error. The 3 may well have permanent magnets, but I'm not going to put much confidence in that based off this form.

-Jim

Reactions: jkn and hoang51
This has to be a typo, otherwise you would see a driveshaft in this photo:

View attachment 240182

Indeed. In another thread somebody suggested hub motors, but you don't see a (likely large orange) wiring harness feeding the hub, despite seeing the small black brake line.

I say "both" for regen is either a mistake, or the document aims to cover multiple models.

Reactions: kingjamez
If the rating of 230Ah for the battery from this document is correct, and @wk057 's data is also correct at 46 cells in parallel per group, then that implies the 2170 cells are rated at 5Ah.

At a nominal 3.6V, that would make them 18Wh cells. With 4416 cells in the large pack (again @wk057 data), that works out to a 79,488 Wh pack.

Last edited:
If the rating of 230Ah for the battery from this document is correct, and @wk057 's data is also correct at 46 cells in parallel per group, then that implies the 2170 cells are rated at 5Ah.

At a nominal 3.6V, that would make them 18W cells. With 4416 cells in the large pack (again @wk057 data), that works out to a 79,488 Wh pack.

Not to nitpick... ok maybe a little: that should be 18Wh .

That 78.3kWh is the useable about of energy in the pack. The actual pack will have more than that. Expecting just over 80kWh, and 4416 cells, you are looking at closer to 5500mah / cell or 19.8Wh if 3.6v nominal.

-Jim

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Is no one else slightly bothered that they spelt it PERMENANT?

Or that the form was filed last thing on a Friday? (06/30/2017 08:04:21 PM - to be precise)

I'm not sure this info is as reliable as we hope it is.

Agreed. Multiple press reports say induction. I think we are giving a lot of credence to this single piece of evidence.

Let's remember that this is a government worker filled out form... I used to be one and I can tell you that virtually no USG produced form doesn't have some sort of typo / error. The 3 may well have permanent magnets, but I'm not going to put much confidence in that based off this form.

-Jim

But there is another piece of evidence:

China Rare Earth Quarterly Report-SMM – Metal Events
Beijing Zhong Ke San Huan High-Tech Co Ltd: Company Profile - Bloomberg

So this still could be just coincidence, but Tesla signing a supply deal with a big Chinese rare earth metal supplier, who's specialty is NdFeB (neodymium-iron-boron) magnets, is very suspicious.

I don't know either way. However it is interesting that Elon said the semi would use 10 Model 3 motors. He also said it would out-tug-o-war a standard semi, uphill. If a perm magnet motor does better at low speed with better torque, perhaps that's why the Model 3 motor is being used in the semi.

-Jim

Is no one else slightly bothered that they spelt it PERMENANT?

Or that the form was filed last thing on a Friday? (06/30/2017 08:04:21 PM - to be precise)

I'm not sure this info is as reliable as we hope it is.
It's probably reliable as a whole, but someone definitely submitted it at the last second. On plus side, it has a lot more info than some other submissions I've seen.