Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation: Model 3 as a three-wheeled car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would entertain the possibility if it was back then, but after Elon's statement about not doing anything adventurous in order to minimize delay, I say there is pretty much no chance of a 3-wheeler version. Even the falcon door (which was somewhat probable) is unlikely to happen.

I'd wager that the 3 will be designed in a way that Tesla knows that they can get it to market quickly. It won't be quite as sexy as the S, but it's supposed to appeal to a broader market, at a lower starting price. Some sacrifices will be made (overall size, battery size). IF the 3 sells the units that Tesla anticipates, I would hope to see them tackle the EV pickup truck as the next body design. Time will tell, I suppose. After that, if anyone could design a 3-wheeler that appeals to a large enough market, Tesla might be the one to it ;)

I really can't see Tesla doing any kind of three-wheeler. They have such a big focus on safety, and three-wheelers don't have good reputations for handling or survivability, which is why they are mostly classed as "motorcycles" rather than cars.