Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NASA awards $3.5 billion for space deliveries - New Space Race- msnbc.com

NASA has awarded a pair of contracts worth $3.5 billion through 2016 to two private aerospace firms seeking to haul vital supplies to and from the international space station, the space agency announced late Tuesday.

The Hawthorne, Calif.-based firm Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) and Orbital Sciences Corp., of Dulles, Va., beat a third competitor for NASA's Commercial Resupply Services contracts with their proposals to privately develop and launch spacecraft capable of delivering cargo to the space station and returning supplies back to Earth.

081223-Spacecom-Cygnus-vmed-3p.widec.jpg

...beat out a Chicago-based consortium called PlanetSpace that included three of the U.S. space agency's prime contractors -- Lockheed Martin Corp, Boeing Co and Alliant Techsystems Inc.

It's a big deal that they beat out the old guard. I suppose that's what you get for naming your consortium an oxymoron.

Elon Musk and SpaceX win 3.5 billion contract

I looks like Elon will be making some good coin from NASA contracts. SpaceX just got a piece of a the $3.5 billion resupply contract for the space station.

Elon's pockets just got a lot deeper. I have MUCH more confidence that Tesla will be a long term survivor now.

By Dana Hedgpeth
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, December 24, 2008; Page D01

NASA yesterday gave two companies the job of resupplying the International Space Station after the space shuttle retires, picking Orbital Sciences of Dulles and SpaceX of Hawthorne, Calif., for a $3.5 billion contract.

As part of the deal, SpaceX and Orbital will build unmanned cargo vehicles that can carry a minimum of 20 metric tons. Eight flights, costing about $1.9 billion, will be handled by Orbital and 12 flights that will cost about $1.6 billion will be done by SpaceX, NASA officials said.

As part of the deal, SpaceX and Orbital will build unmanned cargo vehicles that can carry a minimum of 20 metric tons. Eight flights, costing about $1.9 billion, will be handled by Orbital and 12 flights that will cost about $1.6 billion will be done by SpaceX, NASA officials said.

"It is partially a surprise that Lockheed lost," he said. "NASA is sort of spreading the wealth here.

Congratulations to Elon and his team. This is a ground-breaking contract.

...beat out a Chicago-based consortium called PlanetSpace that included three of the U.S. space agency's prime contractors -- Lockheed Martin Corp, Boeing Co and Alliant Techsystems Inc.

It's a big deal that they beat out the old guard. I suppose that's what you get for naming your consortium an oxymoron.

They had to go with "PlanetSpace" because "Holy Crap! We better cobble a company together to suck up government contract money using our political connections rather than new innovative technology" wouldn't fit on letterhead.

Some new Falcon 9 progress:

http://spacefellowship.com/News/?p=7825

The integration of Falcon 9 continued steadily through the long Christmas holiday, and the images below show just how close Falcon 9 is to being completely integrated.

Whether measured by weight or by cost, the majority of the Falcon 9 being assembled is actual flight hardware. If there are no unexpected delays, its possible Falcon 9 will be integrated before December 31st — certainly a great way to start off the New Year.

122908-horiz2.jpg

122908-horiz.jpg

A a New Years party I met a neighbor who has worked as an engineer for 30 years at Rocketdyne.

He said many have left to SpaceX.

He also said that SpaceX makes "Yugos" and Rocketdyne makes "Mercedes".

...The company is ramping up production of its 125mph Lotus Elise-inspired Roadster while slashing the price to $60,000 (£41,000)...

Makes it sound like they are cost reducing the Roadster, but I suspect they were talking about Model S and the reporter didn't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.