Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Launch Videos Discussion: NSF, X/Twitter, and other options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Buckminster

Aug 29, 2018
UK
I know that ITF-2 is likely many weeks if not several months away, but with the recent move by SpaceX (meaning Elon) to only livestream launches on X I am beginning to wonder if that will mean only those who are willing to pay will be able to watch. Which would be really annoying and a case of Elon shooting himself in the foot, if that is the way things turn out.

The Guardian reports: Elon Musk says Twitter, now X, could charge all users subscription fees

I do not want to pay X to watch SpaceX launches. Launch livestreams are positive publicity for SpaceX, particularly Starship launches.
This has been debunked. Elon is looking at three tiers including free.

I know that ITF-2 is likely many weeks if not several months away, but with the recent move by SpaceX (meaning Elon) to only livestream launches on X I am beginning to wonder if that will mean only those who are willing to pay will be able to watch. Which would be really annoying and a case of Elon shooting himself in the foot, if that is the way things turn out.

The Guardian reports: Elon Musk says Twitter, now X, could charge all users subscription fees

I do not want to pay X to watch SpaceX launches. Launch livestreams are positive publicity for SpaceX, particularly Starship launches.
Debunked. Lots of click bait “news” sites ran with this, but the actual real news debunking this was spread on X. So, pick your news sites wisely.

Reactions: Grendal
Debunked. Lots of click bait “news” sites ran with this, but the actual real news debunking this was spread on X. So, pick your news sites wisely.
Okay thanks, but I don‘t consider X a “news site”. I find The Guardian usually does a good job, and they were just quoting Elon.

I certainly hope that free access to X will continue but would gladly watch the NSF stream if they are able to access the SpaceX stream as noted by @JB47394.

Reactions: Grendal and JB47394
All I found was an Axios article from today that quoted Elon saying to Netanyahu:
"The single-most important reason we're moving to having a small monthly payment for use of the X system is it's the only way I can think of to combat vast armies of bots."
My Google searches of Twitter came up with nothing but annoyance at the idea.
That’s all I’ve found as well. Nothing about also continuing some level of free access.

So X is inhabited by “vast armies of bots”. Forcing everyone who wants to access X to pay money every month, even just a few dollars, is going to cause a lot of users to leave.

21 mins here:
Lower tier pricing. Not bottom tier. No way Elon will risk losing the majority of users by forcing people to pay. The tiers will be:
  1. Gold and grey at high price
  2. Blue at $8/mo for creators I think
  3. *NEW* $3?/mo for users and occasional creators (no payments or X Pro most likely) but most of the other benefits which will grow with time
  4. Free

With credit card requirement. Elon is trying to shut down bot armies, and that requires some kind of identification system. A credit card is the closest thing that we have to that online. I'd much prefer to see some kind of nation-issued web identification, like a passport.
I don't think that the free tier will require credit card details.

Lower tier pricing. Not bottom tier. No way Elon will risk losing the majority of users by forcing people to pay. The tiers will be:
  1. Gold and grey at high price
  2. Blue at $8/mo for creators I think
  3. *NEW* $3?/mo for users and occasional creators (no payments or X Pro most likely) but most of the other benefits which will grow with time
  4. Free
I started listening at the 21 minute point as you suggested and continued listening up to the end. I heard nothing about “free” X access, just what has been widely reported and quoted; the “a small monthly payment for use of the X system” and a “few dollars a month”. This is to address the X bot problem.

Where does Elon talk about that “free” access to X will continue? Please provide a source. Thank you.

Can you please STOP spreading false information.

Don't spread false information that twitter is paywalled. It is NOT. if you are read-only user you do NOT have to pay anything to read or watch in Twitter. Even if you want to tweet something you DO NOT have to pay anything. At best you will be forced to create a free account (oh my God, what a blasphemy !!). $7.99 subscription is only for those frequent posters who want some advanced features.

So STOP saying Twitter is paywalled. This is getting ridiculous.

I don't understand.

"The single most important reason we're moving to having a small monthly payment for use of the X system is... it's the only way I can think of to combat vast armies of bots."

vs

"Elon Musk says users will soon have to pay a small monthly payment for X in effort to stop bots"

How is this misleading? Elon never said the words "We will charge everyone to use X", but he sure communicated what the article claims. He also never said "Bots are bad", but he communicated that as well.

Video quality on X is unfortunately less than what YouTube offers. Eric Berger writes today:

One decision that, from the perspective of broadening SpaceX's reach and appeal, does not seem defensible is Musk's decision to remove SpaceX webcasts from YouTube.

Instead, SpaceX now streams its webcasts exclusively on X, the social network formerly known as Twitter, which Musk acquired for $44 billion. Presumably, just as SpaceX stopped posting new images to Flickr, this decision was made because Musk views YouTube as a competitor to X.

This has resulted in a lower-quality video resolution, as well as a host of other issues that degrade the experience for online viewers. It's perhaps not surprising, then, that alternative launch streams by NASASpaceflight.com and Spaceflight Now appeared to have larger audiences for Tuesday night's Starlink launch.