Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX FH - USSF-44 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: November 1
Launch Window: 9:41am EDT (6:41am PDT, 13:41 UTC)
Launch site: LC-39A, Cape Canaveral, Florida
Side Booster Recovery: LZ-1 and LZ-2
Core Booster Recovery: N/A Expended
Boosters: All new Block 5, Side Boosters: B1064.1 and B1065.1 Center Core: B1066
Mass: 3,750 kg (8,270 lb) for classified payload + LDPE-2 (with 6 payloads)
Orbit: GEO (Direct)
Yearly Launch Number: 50!!

A SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket will launch the USSF 44 mission for the U.S. Space Force. The mission is expected to deploy two spacecraft payloads directly into geosynchronous orbit. The classified payload and the space tug LDPE-2 (with 6 payloads some of which is the military’s TETRA 1 microsatellite and LINUSS A1 + A2).

The second stage will feature a gray band due to its long coast phase between subsequent burns, to allow more heat from sunlight to be absorbed to warm the RP-1 kerosene tank during the longer coasting period, a first for FH and third for any falcon rocket. When it gets too cold, kerosene – which freezes at a much higher temperature than Falcon’s liquid oxygen oxidizer – becomes viscous and slush-like before it freezes solid. If ingested, slushy fuel would likely prevent ignition or destroy the upper stage’s Merlin engine.

The two satellites will be launched in a direct geosynchronous orbit, necessitating for the first time a planned partially expendable launch, that is, to deliberately expend the center core which will lack grid fins and landing gear needed for a landing, while the two side-boosters will be targeting a simultaneous recovery at LZ-1 and LZ-2. The original plan had the side boosters being recovered on ASDS. It is likely that improvements to F9 has allowed a boostback burn to facilitate a LZ landing instead.

Last edited:
So are we expecting this tomorrow, team??
Tomorrow at 9:40AM EDT!

It’s been over 27 months since the last FH launch (there have only been 3 in total) but I remember the first one like it was yesterday. To get back into the FH mood, I just rewatched the first launch:
It’s still exciting to watch that launch and see how excited the webcast hosts and all the SpaceX employees were.

I have always wondered why the hosts did not make clear during the webcast that the center core was lost (2 engines failed to relight and it just missed OCISLY and slightly damaged it). It’s obvious that the hosts knew the center core landing failed. That would not have detracted from the incredible accomplishments of that mission.

I was there at Saturn visitor center watching it along with Bill Bye (and a thousand others) who was the chief guest entertaining the crowd. Bill Nye did mention that the 2nd FH launch will carry the satellite that he worked on, which is a cube sat with an enormous thin foil that was intended to demonstrate a new propulsion mechanism using sun's rays.

That cube sat was indeed launched, but not sure how successful was the experiment.

I was there at Saturn visitor center watching it along with Bill Bye (and a thousand others) who was the chief guest entertaining the crowd. Bill Nye did mention that the 2nd FH launch will carry the satellite that he worked on, which is a cube sat with an enormous thin foil that was intended to demonstrate a new propulsion mechanism using sun's rays.

That cube sat was indeed launched, but not sure how successful was the experiment.
Lightsail 2 was/ is a success
"LightSail2 is still flying!" Bill Nye tells us how solar sails will change space travel

Status info:
LightSail 2 Mission Control

1667246367625.png