Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - IM-1 Nova-C Lander - LC-39A - Includes Post Launch Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My apologies for taking this thread off topic. And now back to the topic…

IM-1 Engine Maneuvers Update
On February 18th, flight controllers commanded the lander’s first planned trajectory correction maneuver, igniting the lander’s engine for the second time, and are planning the anticipated final required maneuver before Odysseus’ largest challenge to date, lunar orbit insertion, which is expected on Wednesday, February 21st

(since @Grendal has allowed this brief excursion, and it's before trading hours)

This would seem to contradict that: Egyptian blue - Wikipedia :

The earliest evidence for the use of Egyptian blue, identified by Egyptologist Lorelei H. Corcoran of The University of Memphis, is on an alabaster bowl dated to the late pre-dynastic period or Naqada III (circa 3250 BC), excavated at Hierakonpolis, and now in the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.[8] In the Middle Kingdom (2050–1652 BC) it continued to be used as a pigment in the decoration of tombs, wall paintings, furnishings, and statues, and by the New Kingdom (1570–1070 BC) began to be more widely used in the production of numerous objects

He asserts "Blue" isn't mentioned in the Bible... it is in Exodus, which is understood to be written 3500+ years ago... hundreds of years before Homer's writings he referred to as making Gladstone curious about the issue...

Not sure where this guy is getting his info...

Reactions: Cosmacelf
He asserts "Blue" isn't mentioned in the Bible... it is in Exodus, which is understood to be written 3500+ years ago... hundreds of years before Homer's writings he referred to as making Gladstone curious about the issue...

Not sure where this guy is getting his info...
I wouldn't worry about the minutiae. The interesting bit for me is that the written word evolved over time to be more and more specific about colors. Why come up with a color for blue when you don't need to communicate that to anyone? It's only when the distinction between sky blue and grass green is somehow important that you come up with words to distinguish between them. People may just have said "grass green" and "sky green" to get the point across.

To illustrate differences in perceptions of color, here's a favorite comedy sketch of mine from the classic "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House".

It humorously underscores that women are more perceptive of color because it's more important to them and what they do. Then there's the fact that 12% of women are hyper-aware of color. I wonder if it's a survival trait. Is spotting a distinct shade in your child's skin helpful in understanding their health? How about a distinct shade in food being prepared to spot spoilage and such?

I wouldn't worry about the minutiae. The interesting bit for me is that the written word evolved over time to be more and more specific about colors. Why come up with a color for blue when you don't need to communicate that to anyone? It's only when the distinction between sky blue and grass green is somehow important that you come up with words to distinguish between them. People may just have said "grass green" and "sky green" to get the point across.

To illustrate differences in perceptions of color, here's a favorite comedy sketch of mine from the classic "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House".

It humorously underscores that women are more perceptive of color because it's more important to them and what they do. Then there's the fact that 12% of women are hyper-aware of color. I wonder if it's a survival trait. Is spotting a distinct shade in your child's skin helpful in understanding their health? How about a distinct shade in food being prepared to spot spoilage and such?

Sure... I get the variances in, and evolution of, language part. It's why some cultures have 20 words for snow and others have none...

But the implication that human beings were unable to see blue, rather than just not coming up with a name for it is what that video is claiming, based on assertions that are pretty trivially shown to be incorrect or questionable.

But the implication that human beings were unable to see blue, rather than just not coming up with a name for it is what that video is claiming,
Do you see dollar bill green, tree green and grass green as distinct colors? Side by side, sure, you understand that they contrast. But when asked to draw each of those objects from memory, you'll grab the same green crayon just like the rest of us. That's because you and I actually only have one place in our brain for green, regardless of the shade. That's the sort of phenomenon that the Greeks may have experienced. Sky blue was just another shade of green. Asked to draw a sky, they might also grab a green crayon. It won't look as good as a true artist who would grab a different shade of green (what we call blue), but it'll make sense to them that the sky is a sky.

Do you see dollar bill green, tree green and grass green as distinct colors? Side by side, sure, you understand that they contrast. But when asked to draw each of those objects from memory, you'll grab the same green crayon just like the rest of us. That's because you and I actually only have one place in our brain for green, regardless of the shade. That's the sort of phenomenon that the Greeks may have experienced. Sky blue was just another shade of green. Asked to draw a sky, they might also grab a green crayon. It won't look as good as a true artist who would grab a different shade of green (what we call blue), but it'll make sense to them that the sky is a sky.

Yeah, I'm sure that explains part of it.... not to mention that there are more green-sensitive cones in our retinas, which matches the fact that green makes up the majority of white light... so nearby on the spectrum "being a shade of green" I'd argue is a plausible explanation....

Reactions: Grendal and JB47394
Beautiful image. Credit: Intuitive Machines

IMG_0654.jpeg